Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Home Made Adobo Sauce

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

I'd like to make a batch of adobo sauce.  Toots wants to use some in a recipe, but doesn't need or want chipotles, which are usually packed in adobo sauce.  It would be nice if I could get some tips, maybe even a recipe or two, for making my own adobo sauce.

.... Shel

#2 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,724 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

Spices are pricey. Might be cheaper to just throw out the chipotle and keep the sauce.

• Jaymes and patti_h like this

#3 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

Spices are pricey. Might be cheaper to just throw out the chipotle and keep the sauce.

Very few things are inexpensive these days.  Buying a can of chipotles in sauce and tossing the chipotles is terribly wasteful! However, there'd be no need to toss the chipotles as they'll keep forever, and I enjoy them.  But that's not the point: I want to make my own sauce.  When in the mood, I enjoy cooking and experimenting and playing in the kitchen.  This is a cooking forum, yes?  There are lots of spices in my pantry, some of which, I'm sure, would work well in an adobo sauce.

.... Shel

#4 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

So what type of chile do you want to use? I don't claim to be an expert on the subject but to the best of my understanding, some form of chile is part of the deal in a Mexican-style adobo (which I'm assuming is the type you're referring to since you mentioned chipotle adobo).

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#5 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

So what type of chile do you want to use? I don't claim to be an expert on the subject but to the best of my understanding, some form of chile is part of the deal in a Mexican-style adobo (which I'm assuming is the type you're referring to since you mentioned chipotle adobo).

Since the sauce will be for Toots, mild chilies would be the best choice, something along the line of ancho/poblano, Anaheim, Coronado, Aji Panca, etc.

Edited by Shel_B, 07 August 2014 - 01:13 PM.

.... Shel

#6 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

Ancho worked well in the adobo-style sauces (I'm calling it that because I don't know enough about it to say definitively what constitutes and authentic adobo sauce) I've made in the past. I don't remember off the top of my head what I used in terms of recipes but I'm pretty sure I probably just searched google and went with something that sounded good to me. I like chipotles in adobo but, like you in this case, it's not always the way I want to go. They have a tendency to easily slip into the flavor-realm of a bbq sauce in some uses.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#7 pbear

pbear
  • participating member
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:43 AM

Don't know whether this will suit your needs, but here's a basic Mexican adobo.  It's intended as a simmer sauce for 2 lb meat or equivalent, and so may be thinner than you have in mind.  Makes about 3 c.  Can be divided into portions and frozen.

Chop 1 med onion; mince 6 cl garlic; seed 6 med dried ancho chiles and cut with kitchen shears or tear into small pieces (or use 9 tbsp pulverized).  Saute onion in 2 tbsp lard (or oil) until tender, about 10 minutes; add garlic and chiles; saute until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.  Deglaze with 1 c vegetable stock; bring to a boil; let stand off heat 1 hour covered.  Puree in blender with 14 oz crushed tomatoes, 2 tbsp red wine (or cider) vinegar, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp each black pepper, allspice, cinnamon, cumin and oregano, and 1/4 tsp ground clove.  (Make sure chiles are smooth; if not, strain sauce through a medium-coarse sieve.)  Rinse blender with 1/2 c water and add to puree.

• demiglace and Shel_B like this

#8 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Don't know whether this will suit your needs, but here's a basic Mexican adobo.  It's intended as a simmer sauce for 2 lb meat or equivalent, and so may be thinner than you have in mind.  Makes about 3 c.  Can be divided into portions and frozen.

Chop 1 med onion; mince 6 cl garlic; seed 6 med dried ancho chiles and cut with kitchen shears or tear into small pieces (or use 9 tbsp pulverized).  Saute onion in 2 tbsp lard (or oil) until tender, about 10 minutes; add garlic and chiles; saute until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.  Deglaze with 1 c vegetable stock; bring to a boil; let stand off heat 1 hour covered.  Puree in blender with 14 oz crushed tomatoes, 2 tbsp red wine (or cider) vinegar, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp each black pepper, allspice, cinnamon, cumin and oregano, and 1/4 tsp ground clove.  (Make sure chiles are smooth; if not, strain sauce through a medium-coarse sieve.)  Rinse blender with 1/2 c water and add to puree.

Tks!  It's certainly a good starting point and it has given me some ideas.

.... Shel