Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Surprisingly Great Gas Station/Convenience Store Food-Miami. Where Else?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

I just returned from the Miami/Dade area where I did environmental site assessments at a number of C-Stores.  After 25+ years in the business and having eaten at or been exposed to a lot of crap food at these venues I did not think it was possible to find really great food.  It was mind blowing to see scratch cooked food with no hot dogs, roller burgers, chicken strips, nuggets etc., offered.  Most stores had Cafe Cubano/Leche from freshly ground beans from a real espresso machine.  All had really nice pastries with food offerings including various panini sandwiches, empanadas, croquettas.  The bread was always local cuban style bread. Coffee for $1, pastries $1.25 and lunch for $6 were average. The best was Redlands Food at 11100 SW 216th Street.  

IMG_20140728_124551284_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140729_092815014_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140729_123241851_HDR.jpg

• Toliver, flacoman and Shelby like this