Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

New Lays Potato Chip Flavors

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 Arey

• participating member
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:25 AM

I honestly don't understand these bizarre flavored potato chips.  I'm a Lays Classic (serves 3 (but only if the other 2 people bring their own chips because I won't share mine)) diehard, but am occasionaly tempted to buy a bag of Lays Salt and Vinegar Chips, but at the same time I'd have to buy a bag of regular Lays Classic Chips in case I didn't like the salt and vinegar ones, although I'd probably eat them all anyway.  I can understand the need for Lays to make the BBQ flavored chips, but Reuben flavored chips?  Is Lay's just trying to see how many unlikely artifically produced flavors their lab can come up with, and infuse into a potato chip?  Does the Lima Bean industry continually come up with differently flavored limas to get people like me who hate the nasty little green things to eat them? Does the Brussel Sprout industry start pushing chocolate eclair flavored brussel sprouts to ensnare those people who for some reason don't like them.  So why in sam hill does Lays insist on doing weird things to potatoe chips.  What's next Lays?  A frito flavored potato chip?
end of editorial.

• Smithy, Kerry Beal and rotuts like this
"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

#32 rotuts

• participating member
  • 7,945 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:03 AM

"""   A frito flavored potato chip  ""

excellent thinking.  Id try them

• suzilightning likes this

#33 MSRadell

• participating member
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:57 PM

The Prince Edward Island Scalloped Potatoes flavor certainly sounds very good! I wouldn't mind trying them myself. Certainly sounds better than any of the flavors that they are trying out here in the states.

• suzilightning likes this
I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#34 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 8,332 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:22 PM

The very worst thing about these flavored potato chips is that even though I know I don't like them I still manage to finish the bag!
  • suzilightning, scubadoo97, Arey and 2 others like this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Never call a stomach a tummy without good reason.” William Strunk Jr., The Elements of Style

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#35 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,886 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:29 PM

Hit the grocery store early this am before work - happened to notice these on sale so picked them up for the gang at work to try.

So the Cowboy BBQ Beans were like a really nice BBQ chip with a hint of bean flavour in there. The smoked meat had a pastrami like flavour on first bite - faded in subsequent bites.  

• Toliver and rotuts like this

#36 hummingbirdkiss

• participating member
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:09 PM

I tried a gyro and can not get the nightmare out of my mouth ..i think it is bitter horrible and why i thought it would be good is beyond me

No way no how even the idea is horrible. My husband ate the bag and said they are " fine"
"Would you mind coming with me, Piglet, in case they turn out to be Hostile Animals?”
A.A. Milne

#37 Ashen

• participating member
  • 575 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:52 PM

Tried these. Meh. After the first chip one could believe one detected something close to butter chicken but the impression quickly dissipates along with the flavour.

We have tried all 4, none were worth trying again.  The Butter Chicken flavour could have been much better if they left out the Asafoetida/ Hing .  There was only a hint of it  but it builds as you eat.  Not really necessary  to a  Butter Chicken flavour imo. .  

"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#38 Beebs

• participating member
  • 740 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:37 AM

I've only tried the Butter Chicken and I like it.  Does it taste like real butter chicken? Not really. But I do like the tomato-curry flavour.

#39 liuzhou

• participating member
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:05 PM

I've no idea which of these are new here in China.  Some are obviously internationally available; others perhaps not. And then there is the mystery flavour.

(I had to buy some snacks for a social event, so I bought one of each bag they had in the local emporium - there may be more - then photographed them. These are just what they had in bags. I noticed a couple of other flavours in the cardboard tubes - stacks - will investigate further.)

Cumin Lamb is very much a local flavour coming from the far west of China, esp in Xinjiang among the Chinese Muslim population.

Numb and Spicy Hotpot is a Sichuan classic flavour. 

Seaweed snacks are very popular in China, as is squid.

As you will see, all Lay's chips/crisps sold in China are identified bilingually - except one.

野蛮牛仔骨味 translates as "uncivilised* cowboy rib flavour." I am hoping they are flavoured with the taste of those ribs cowboys favour rather than the cowboys' ribs. Going by the ingredients list they seem to be attempting to replicate beef ribs.

Presumably they are left untranslated to avoid offending any passing uncivilised cowboys.

*野蛮 can also be translated as savage, barbarous, cruel, or brutal. Take your pick.

Edited by liuzhou, 20 September 2015 - 10:42 PM.

• Toliver, Smithy, MelissaH and 8 others like this

#40 Shelby

• society donor
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:17 PM

That's a lot of different/new flavors.

Lemon chicken, cucumber and spicy hot pot would be going in my shopping cart :)

#41 rotuts

• participating member
  • 7,945 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:35 PM

Well, just for me

Id try the Roasted Squid

also the 

Numb and Spicy Hotpot

• hummingbirdkiss likes this

#42 liuzhou

• participating member
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:05 AM

I made a curiously interesting discovery this morning. It seems the bagged chips sometimes have slightly different flavour names from those in the tubes ("Stax").

For example, the bagged "Cucumber Flavor"  become "Green Cucumber Flavor" in the tubes. Is there another color of cucumber?

Anyway, here are three tube varieties which I haven't seen in bags. I am sure there are more. I haven't checked the bigger supermarket yet.

Incidentally, the characters 无限 above the flavor names means "infinite". A blatant lie. They aren't infinite. I finished the green tea ones!

• suzilightning, Smithy, MelissaH and 3 others like this

#43 Shelby

• society donor
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:45 AM

Finger licking  braised pork  :laugh:

The other two just name the flavor where is the pork is finger licking....must be super good lol.

• liuzhou likes this

#44 suzilightning

• participating member
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:09 AM

I want the lime!!!

Actually I am always in search of a mouth puckering dill pickle flavor.

The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe.

Joe Gould
Monstrous Depravity (1963)

#45 Beebs

• participating member
  • 740 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:16 AM

I'm intrigued by the green tea flavour!  How does it taste?

Edited by Beebs, 22 September 2015 - 09:17 AM.

#46 liuzhou

• participating member
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:25 AM

I'm intrigued by the green tea flavour!  How does it taste?

Green tea is a not uncommon flavoring in China. It features in cookies and in stir fries. One of my favorites is Shrimp with Green Tea as served in my local Hunan restaurant.

It generally tastes fresh and herbal. Grassy. New mown lawns. 

The chips tasted slightly musty and MSG-ish. As usual.

I am no fan of Lay's in particular and 'flavored' chips on general. I seriously doubt few people could identify the intended flavors in a truly blind tasting.

Edited by liuzhou, 22 September 2015 - 09:26 AM.

#47 liuzhou

• participating member
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:28 AM

And some more:

For the sake of clarity - L to R

Most Chinese caterers are under the impression that the only way people in the west eat beef/steaks is smothered in black pepper sauce.

They also have a variety simply called "Tomato Flavor", presumably not from a garden. 

• Shelby likes this

#48 Alex

• participating member
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:18 AM

With impeccable timing, we have today's visit with Calvin and Hobbes.

"Frankly, my life was plenty complicated before the potato chips."

• MelissaH, blue_dolphin, rotuts and 1 other like this
Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#49 rotuts

• participating member
  • 7,945 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:30 AM

seems like in China, there's a flavor for each person.

• Shelby likes this

#50 BonVivant

• participating member
  • 414 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:52 AM

I don't see this flavour at home so it's new to me. Taste is a bit too subtle, however.

Posting from Shkodër (northern Albania). Baggage tag is airport code for the city where the beer comes from (I just left it this morning). Old bridge from Ottoman time on the postcard.

• Toliver, liuzhou, Shelby and 1 other like this

#51 rotuts

• participating member
  • 7,945 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:53 AM

I was gifted 4 flavo(u)rs of Lay's Canada  'Crisps'  aka chips S. of the Boarder.

what a treat !   everything tastes better in French.  even French Canadiene.

I immediately ripped into the

Viande fumée de Montréal

Im a very big fan of M.Smoked meat.  at the Old Schwart's  .  Medium for me.  you can drool here :

and no its not pastrami.

the crsips tasted a little bit like corned beef.  no smoke that I could detect nor that 'special' HSMeat flavor.

still   ...  different in a new direction.   I of course polished off the whole bag.  just to be sure.

a bit later, after some massive hydration, I could not resist the 

Poulet au beurre

that to me means Butter Chicken, a la Indiene.   no butter, nor chicken flavors.  a light BBQ flavor that's it.

i stopped for the day but today is a New Day !

Fèves au lard BBQ style cowboy

these were ridged. and had that Olde Time USA  BBQ chip flavour.  the kind of flavor BBQ chips had when they were first 'invented'

they were nice in that way.   No Feves nor Lard.  can't say was Cowboy flavour is, but i doubt there's any here.

anyway   great fun.

im saving the

Gratin dauphinois de l’Î.-P.-É.

for later.  Its my impression that   

l’Î.-P.-É  potatoes aren't what they used to be ......
  • hummingbirdkiss and Shelby like this

#52 BonVivant

• participating member
  • 414 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:37 AM

(Not Lay's, just Albanian crisps. Is there a thread or non Lay's? Please move it if there is such a thread.)

The wine is from right here in Berat.

#53 Deryn

• participating member
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:51 AM

I found the PEI scalloped potatoes bland as all get out unfortunately - no distinctive taste at all in my opinion. Surprisingly, I thought the Montreal Smoked Meat one was probably the best of the bunch - although no, there was no smokiness there. The Butter Chicken was somewhat ok as well but didn't whip me away to India and fill me with the kind of satisfaction I get from the real stuff. Couldn't stomach the idea of bbq so those stayed on the shelf.

I am not a chip fan in any way, shape or form (haven't bought any in many years till now) and these flavoured ones kind of scare me with what they must have in them to create those tastes so I won't be eating any more but I did take one for the gipper (and my waistline - which didn't need increasing).

#54 liuzhou

• participating member
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:46 AM

In an emergency, I just tried the Cumin Lamb variety above. Absolutely revolting. No taste of cumin or anything that ever got near a sheep. Just overpowering uncooked chili and that unidentifiable muddy taste all "flavoured" chips have.

I'm sticking with plain potato flavour from now on.

Edited by liuzhou, 11 October 2015 - 12:48 AM.

• Shelby likes this

#55 Duvel

• participating member
  • 50 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:24 AM

I am currently on a business trip to Bangkok, Thailand. This is what the supermarket next to the hotel was able to supply. I fully intend to sample them all once I get back home (need an independent, non alcohol-biased second opinion) ...

(O.K. I tried already the "mystery flavor" - at least to me, as my Thai really s.. Is not that good. It was a weird mixture of lime, sugar and somewhat "damp" flavor. Needed several Singha and some Holy basil chicken to get rid of the aftertaste)

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• liuzhou and rotuts like this