Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pro chefs, how do you organize your kitchens/make life easier?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EthanU

EthanU
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hey guys, I'm hoping this topic can be the start of a really useful discussion amongst pro chef's about many different ways to make life easier in the kitchen. I find it amazing that as much as I've looked on this forum there are relatively few discussions about ways to get more organized in the kitchen. That includes many things like prep lists, order guides, inventory mgmt, recipe templates, check lists, and especially expediting during service.

Lets get some ideas flowing I think it would be great if we put some heads together and shared some great tips and tricks to help each other. Together we can incubate some really cool ideas. Please share anything, apps, high or low tech, whatever works for you.

Edited by EthanU, 28 July 2014 - 12:59 PM.

#2 Zach Rawlinson

Zach Rawlinson
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance.  I don't know what to say... Kitchens have to be organized if they want to preform with militant precision day in and day out.  I don't know how much I actually want to talk about organizing a kitchen.  It's like talking about keeping your house clean.  You're expected to do so from day one so it's kind of instilled in you to work clean and stay clean.  All the things you have listed are must have in kitchens, I wouldn't say they make kitchens more organized because there aren't kitchens that run properly without those things.  Those are the tools in the kitchen needed to make it run.    

Edited by Zach Rawlinson, 15 August 2014 - 08:51 AM.

#3 Rockit

Rockit
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

You would be suprised at the number of chef who don't use prep list, order list etc.

I have just finished an 11 month stint in Aged Care (which is worthy of discussion another time), and most of the chefs I encountered didn't have have any lists at all. The guy I took over from would walk into the dry store with a blank piece of paper right down his order then the next day he would place another order to get all the things he missed the first time round.

As for prep lists or any form of forward planning, just forget about it.