Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

America's Top 20 Culinary Schools, in the Heartland

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

FSR Magazine named their top 20 culinary schools in the U.S.

Hands-on kitchen classes and practical field experience help define the measure of success.

The Secchia Institute for Culinary Education, at Grand Rapids Community College -- my local CC -- made the list! -- as well it should have. Ms. Alex and I have gotten to know a few of the instructors over the years, we've eaten at the college's restaurant many, many times, and I've cooked in their outstanding kitchens several times.

Also making the list were Kendall College, in Chicago; Indian Hills CC, in Iowa; Columbus State CC, in Ohio; and Sullivan University, in Kentucky (an honorary Heartland member).

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#2 IowaDee

IowaDee
  • participating member
  • 178 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

I was so happy to see Indian Hill Community College on the list.  The head of the program has made amazing progress and deserves all the credit he can get.  To think a small town two year school can compete with the big guys is just fantastic.  On many levels, Indian Hills offers a great education but their tech classes are just off the charts.  These kids are going light years beyond  flipping burgers.  Two year schools are one of the best things we have going in this country.

• Alex likes this