Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Adventures in Steak

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

As it happens, Chris, my rib eye is from Australia.  Australian steaks are the ones I most often buy.  The flavor of the meat is very good.  Unfortunately as often as not I overcook, and end up with shoe leather.  They are not forgiving.

The last steak I tried, a strip steak, I cooked sous vide, chilled in ice and refrigerated.  I finished briefly in a dry, hot pan.  The result was a very rare interior with a burnt, carbonized, unpleasant crust.  Not one of my best attempts.

#32 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

In the refrigerator I have a small, organic, rib eye wet aging...for lack of a better term.  There is no visible marbling on this steak.  I was thinking to cook low temperature sous vide, then sautee in butter.

Any other suggestions.

A rib-eye without marbling suggests that the cow was finished on grass, and not for a very long time. No idea about breed ... I think the way cattle are raised and fed has a bigger impact than the breed. I buy Piedmontese beef from time to time. Some of it is grain finished and rated prime ... lots of marbling. Some is grass finished and has less. Interestingly, it's possible to finish on grass and get a lot of marbling, but only some farmers go through the trouble. Some also finish on a mix ... raise them in a pasture, but put out grain for them to snack on. Contrary to what grass-feeding activists will tell you, the cows run to the grain.

Really lean beef is indeed tricky to cook. I haven't tried it sous-vide. Since you don't have to melt the marbling, you can try temperatures lower than medium-rare. But I don't know what will give the best mix of tenderness / juiciness / flavor. My starting point would be to try cooking in a 55°C bath to an internal temp of 54° or 53.5, and not leave it in for a minute longer than necessary. Then brown in a pan with oil, so you can get a more even crust without burning anything.

In general, I think 1.5" is the ideal thickness for sous-vide steaks. I'd rather get one steak to share between two or three people than to try to cook individual ones that are too-thin. 1.5" is thick enough that you can easily sear without worrying about overcooking the middle, but thin enough that s.v. times are reasonable.

#33 quiet1

quiet1
  • participating member
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

A rib-eye without marbling suggests that the cow was finished on grass, and not for a very long time. No idea about breed ... I think the way cattle are raised and fed has a bigger impact than the breed. I buy Piedmontese beef from time to time. Some of it is grain finished and rated prime ... lots of marbling. Some is grass finished and has less. Interestingly, it's possible to finish on grass and get a lot of marbling, but only some farmers go through the trouble. Some also finish on a mix ... raise them in a pasture, but put out grain for them to snack on. Contrary to what grass-feeding activists will tell you, the cows run to the grain.

... Do these people know cows? I don't know cows, but all the horses I've ever met have preferred grain to hay/grass. I think grain is sort of the livestock equivalent of tasty tasty junk food. Much yummier than boring old leafy things. (Not necessarily healthy, of course, but the horses for sure didn't care about that part of things at all. :) )
  • FauxPas likes this

#34 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:39 AM

The sort of rib eye you describe is commonly sold in Australia. Most of our readily available steaks have little to no marbling. Lean, lean, lean. Nonetheless, I've had pleasing results cooking such steaks sous vide.

In your situation, saute in butter or cook sous vide. If you've gently cooked the steak in a water bath the last thing you want to do is allow the internal temperature to creep up beyond whatever your original target temperature was. And it's not like you want to drop a knob of butter into a screaming hot pan. Use neutral oil with a high smoke point--or no oil, if you've got a non-stick pan--when searing a steak cooked sous vide.

If you want the buttery thing, tho', you could always melt some butter (maybe a compound butter of some description) and brush small quantities of this on your sliced steak.

I cooked the steak tonight.  Sous vide 57 deg C for two hours, ice bath for about the same time, then finished in a hot pan with butter.  Served with béarnaise sauce.

There was a pleasant crust, then about 1/16 of an inch of gray matter, and a pink interior.  The steak was flavorful and very tender -- important for those of us lacking teeth.  But it was dry.  No amount of butter nor béarnaise could fix that.

The last sous vide Australian steak I cooked had an unpleasantly burned exterior, with a bright pink (perfectly pasteurized but what I would call raw) center.  It was not particularly tender.

#35 lordratner

lordratner
  • participating member
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

I cooked the steak tonight.  Sous vide 57 deg C for two hours, ice bath for about the same time, then finished in a hot pan with butter.  Served with béarnaise sauce.

There was a pleasant crust, then about 1/16 of an inch of gray matter, and a pink interior.  The steak was flavorful and very tender -- important for those of us lacking teeth.  But it was dry.  No amount of butter nor béarnaise could fix that.

The last sous vide Australian steak I cooked had an unpleasantly burned exterior, with a bright pink (perfectly pasteurized but what I would call raw) center.  It was not particularly tender.

A few questions first:

Ribeye?

Frozen, Refrigerated, or room temp?

If frozen, how? Flash freeze (from distributor), ice bath then freezer, or just tossed in freezer?

Thickness?

How much liquid in the bag?

I'm assuming you like a light pink center, yes?

#36 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

Rib eye...the rib eye described in post #27.

Refrigerated, never frozen, about one inch or a little less.  Rinsed and thoroughly patted dry before vacuum sealing.

No liquid or seasoning in the bag.

I was aiming for (and got) a light pink center.

Sadly the meat was dry as dust.  I have pretty much given up on sous vide preparation of tender beef.  Three day short ribs, great.  Twenty four hour chuck, even better.  Pork and chicken also work well for me sous vide.  But not steak.

• janeer likes this

#37 lordratner

lordratner
  • participating member
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

This is a tough one for me, because I don't like meat cooked much past medium rare. 

I'm with a couple others here who believe lean sous vide is a tricky task. That task is made a lot harder when you get to and above medium. Depending on how long you had the steak in the pan with butter, I can see why it dried out.

I started sous vide because I wanted great steaks. I still get them, but honestly I like it better for what it can do with eggs, poultry, vegetables, and custards more. 

For what it's worth, my steaks always come out best when I use the deep-frying method of finishing. I suspect it's because the steak spends the least amount of time subjected to high heat.

#38 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:24 AM

Here's a pic of the SV bags warming up on the 1940s Queen-Atlantic:

attachicon.gifRaphaelson-1.jpg

If I do this again with aged chuck, I'll try trimming the cook time to 36 or even 24 hours, to see if they can be a bit juicier without sacrificing too much tenderness.

I want to run away with that stove and make babies with it.    Do you have any more photos.   What island were you on.. That is awesome of Delapetria did that for you.   I have not been over there in some time, I normally stick to Paisanos but, liked what I bought there a year back or so.   I will have to give them another shot.

I bought these two ribeyes last night.. they were close to 2 lbs each, maybe more.  Probably a little more.  

14730214182_4d09e5aca6_c.jpg

Cooked it, full blast on the green egg after a heavy salting.  

14544043907_01d87afb7c_c.jpg

Edited by basquecook, 24 July 2014 - 06:26 AM.

• Toliver, Smithy, demiglace and 4 others like this

#39 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,491 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:44 AM

That steak looks pretty perfect, basquecook.

• basquecook likes this
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#40 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

This all looks great, Paul.  Thanks for sharing it.

I wonder if one thing might have helped:  Would it be possible to take the 4 week aged chuckeye roast, open it up to remove all the tough connective tissue and big pockets of fat, reassemble and bond with Activa, then portion and cook as you have done?  I suppose that would remove the possibility of the four hour "danger zone" cooking?

Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#41 lordratner

lordratner
  • participating member
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

I bought these two ribeyes last night.. they were close to 2 lbs each, maybe more.  Probably a little more.  

14730214182_4d09e5aca6_c.jpg

Ribeyes? Either way, those look amazing.

• Paul Bacino and basquecook like this

#42 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

bone in ribeye 

#43 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

nope.

not that.

but mighty tasty

and Ive Had My Nap !

:raz:

( come on, as Crag says  :  " Its a Joke !! " )

• lordratner likes this

#44 lordratner

lordratner
  • participating member
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

bone in ribeye 

Not quite, but a strip is still a good night. 

I wish I could grill like that reliably. But I suppose I don't really need to.

Edited by lordratner, 24 July 2014 - 12:46 PM.

• rotuts likes this

#45 Honkman

Honkman
  • participating member
  • 318 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

... Do these people know cows? I don't know cows, but all the horses I've ever met have preferred grain to hay/grass. I think grain is sort of the livestock equivalent of tasty tasty junk food. Much yummier than boring old leafy things. (Not necessarily healthy, of course, but the horses for sure didn't care about that part of things at all. :) )

You are aware that cows have problems to digest large amounts of grains (in particular corn which is used a lot in the US) and that it is quite painful for them and often is one of the reasons why they need antibiotics - so cows defintiely prefer grass to grain/corn

#46 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

Yesterday rib eye was on sale.  I bought three boneless rib eye steaks that were about two inches thick.  I cooked one by the Fat Guy/Ducasse method:

http://forums.egulle...ck-steak/page-1

With the help of a pair of zombies and Dansko sandals from the footware thread I was able to stand at the stove and cook the steak for about an hour.  What may have started out as footware has turned into a fetish as I now have three pair of Dansko, they are so comfortable.

Admittedly I may have been carried away in the cooking as there was little or no pink.  However the meat was so unctuous there was no contest with the pink sous vide Australian rib eye that was completely dry.

Served with sautéed mushrooms and béarnaise.  Two more rib eyes to go.

#47 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

This all looks great, Paul.  Thanks for sharing it.

I wonder if one thing might have helped:  Would it be possible to take the 4 week aged chuckeye roast, open it up to remove all the tough connective tissue and big pockets of fat, reassemble and bond with Activa, then portion and cook as you have done?  I suppose that would remove the possibility of the four hour "danger zone" cooking?

Yeah, and I'd also check the time/temp curves to see how long the center would take to get up to a safe zone at the cooking temperature. Some people have had issues with spoilage bacteria when the rise time is too long, if they've done stuff to compromise the sterility of the center. Interesting idea, though. It might just require slicing the meat a bit thinner.

Edited by paulraphael, 25 July 2014 - 06:45 AM.

#48 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

You are aware that cows have problems to digest large amounts of grains (in particular corn which is used a lot in the US) and that it is quite painful for them and often is one of the reasons why they need antibiotics - so cows defintiely prefer grass to grain/corn

I am aware of the claim, and also aware that it's misleading. There are issues with giviing digestive problems (acidosis) to cattle by switching them too quickly to a grain-rich diet, or by giving them a poor mix of grains and forage. But cattle can do fine on a diet that's rich in grain. Here's one explanation.

Antibiotic use is unrelated to any of this. Feed lots that use antibiotics generatlly do so to compensate for crowded and unsanitary conditions. People associate these conditions with grain-finished catle. But the better farmers don't do it this way. Some of the best ones finsih on grain in large corals, or even in the pasture.

• weinoo likes this

#49 Okanagancook

Okanagancook
  • participating member
  • 313 posts
  • Location:Naramata overlooking Lake Okanagan, British Columbia, Canada

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

Sous vide grass fed flank steak: 131 degrees F for 24 hours then a quick sear. Perfect medium-rare and very tender. I had previously cooked that kind of flank steak at 125 for a couple of hours for a more rare meat but it was quite chewy.

#50 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:08 AM

Tonight was the second of my three wet aged (that may be a euphemism for something close to rotting) ribeyes, cooked by the Fat Guy/Ducasse method.  The degree of doneness was just right, which I attribute as much to good fortune as  to culinary skill, since the cook (me) was more than a few sheets to the wind.

Still, I am not complaining.

#51 weedy

weedy
  • participating member
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Rib Eye.

marinated in a jalapeño/lime/olive oil/lime juice mix. about an hour.

sealed in bag.

1.jpg

Sous Vide 2 hrs at 131F.

2.jpg

quick sear on cast iron (blazing hot as I could get it) with a splash of olive oil. perhaps 40 secs a side tops.

3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

served with chimmichurri and some sous vide rainbow carrots.

7.jpg

to me, perfect.

• scubadoo97, Anna N, Smithy and 4 others like this

#52 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

To Die for

Weedy

Like your plate !

#53 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

Sure looks good Weedy!

#54 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

I think it's worth pointing out that you only need to chill rapidly post sous vide cooking if you're NOT going to sear and eat immediately

Good point. I'll amend that.