Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pork Belly & Equilibrium Brining

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 danelks

danelks
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:30 PM

I'm attempting ChefSteps' braised pork belly recipe here: http://www.chefsteps...ised-pork-belly

The pork is has been in the brine (equilibrium version) for a bit over 24 hours, but as I look over the math again I'm a bit worried about the final salt concentration - if my calculations are correct it should equilibrate at around 2.5%, which seems very high for a brine (my copy of MC seems to agree).

Has anyone attempted this before? Is my math off or does that seem high to anyone else? I suspect maybe the idea is to serve this in small portions as an accent rather than as a main protein...

Assuming I'm not out to lunch...to salvage I'm thinking I might be best to take it out after 48 hours, soak in a few changes of fresh water for 2 hours (per MC, roughly following the high-concentration brine method, though at a lower salt concentration and for less brining time...), then re-seal for 24 hours to let the salt concentration even out in the meat.

Last thing I want to do is oversalt and ruin this nice piece of meat, and it needs to be ready to cook by Thursday morning...any advice (or even words of encouragement) would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by danelks, 16 June 2014 - 11:37 PM.

#2 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:05 AM

Carve a piece of the belly off and fry it. Taste it. If it is too salty, put the whole belly in water for a few hours; try again. Keep on going until you reach the desired level of saltiness.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#3 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

I routinely equilibrium brine at 3% by weight and meat comes out perfectly seasoned. I wouldn't worry about it.

PS: I am a guy.

#4 danelks

danelks
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:28 AM

Thanks folks.

I will let it brine the full 72 hours then do the fry taste test and soak as needed, seems like a perfectly reasonable solution that I didn't think of late last night. 

#5 danelks

danelks
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

For what it's worth, the meat did come out of the brine excessively salty to my tastes. After soaking for 1 hour, 2 hours, then eventually overnight, the salt had dropped to a somewhat more reasonable level, though still a bit on the high side compared to my usual level of seasoning.

It's in the circulator now sealed with additional water (double the amount called for in the recipe) in hopes of drawing out a bit more while it cooks.

Next time I'll probably use at most half of the salt concentration in the brine.

Edited by danelks, 19 June 2014 - 03:27 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist