Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Beef Bacon.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GuitarManSam666

GuitarManSam666
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

Hey guys!

This is my first post, I'm excited to be part of the community. I'm Jewish and I keep Kosher so I don't eat regular pork bacon. However, at my neighborhood Kroger I've found beef bacon by a company called Gwaltney. I'm really curious though, where on a cow does this cut come from? Thanks for any help!

Sam.

#2 MSRadell

MSRadell
  • participating member
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:50 PM

I've never heard of it so I have no idea what part of the cow it comes out of.  Have you tried turkey bacon?  Several different manufacturers make it and some of it is actually quite good.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

I think it is an important question. But I don't know the answer.

I seem to remember that not all the meat from a cow are considered kosher.

dcarch

#4 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

Pretty common in Muslim countries and in halal communities. If you have "Bacon & Eggs" in a restaurant in a hotel that wants to do business with the govt in Malaysia, for example, you are likely to get beef bacon which must also have been certified as scrupulously "halal".

The cut that is used varies depending on who is making it and so on, but frequently the beef navel is used.  "Beef belly". :-) Brisket is also used, and sometimes other cuts too.  One useful post (and thread...).  Ask in a halal shop in your area (are you in the USA?) for "Breakfast Beef" and, if they have it, ask them which cut was used.

Have you considered lamb bacon?  I think that is more scrumptious than beef bacon.  Usually made from, yes, lamb belly :-) in the US.  Some folks (like this fellow, amongst others) uses the saddle.  Smoking Goose, in my area, uses the belly (sold through its sister shop Goose the Market).

ETA:  The Beef Bacon Corporation (in Canada) (google it) claims to be the world's largest supplier of the stuff (and also claims to have invented it (??!!)) (N.B. I have no financial or other interests in that company)

ETA2: Kosher lamb bacon appears to be available.

Edited by huiray, 12 June 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#5 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

Yep, navel or plate.

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#6 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

Here's a chart that shows what's kosher and what is not.

http://www.busyinbro...l-cuts-beef.jpg

Edited by Shel_B, 13 June 2014 - 10:00 AM.

.... Shel

#7 JohnT

JohnT
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

Halal beef "bacon" is called Macon in South Africa.
Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

#8 ahpadt

ahpadt
  • participating member
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:47 PM

I've never heard of it so I have no idea what part of the cow it comes out of.  Have you tried turkey bacon?  Several different manufacturers make it and some of it is actually quite good.

How do you get nice bacon from an animal that barely has any fat (I've never had poultry bacon)?

Edited by ahpadt, 15 June 2014 - 02:47 PM.

#9 MSRadell

MSRadell
  • participating member
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

Not really sure how they do it but it's not that bad considering.  Here's some information about: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Turkey_bacon

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#10 thatchairlady

thatchairlady
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

Haven't actually bought/cookd beef bacon, but have done beef spare ribs... not short ribs.  Tasty.  As for Gwaltny... I like their bacon.