Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Hello from...ummm hard to tell...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 cybeline

cybeline
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:19 AM

Hello!

I'm Cecilia and I guess from a little bit of everywhere in the world which highly influences my cooking style and taste.

I am half French half Spanish by my parents, jewish and eastern european decent (loooong ago). I have lived (in order) in France,Venezuela, Israel, Australia, Canada and now in the United States (Orange county for 6 years and have been in Atlanta, GA for 3 months now). 

I consider myself a cook of the world. It is impossible for me to say which cuisine is my favorite, I have been extremely lucky to have the opportunity to be in direct contact with so many of them. There is also no style of cooking at home, it's not all french all the time, it is pretty much everyday different. While this is great, now you can only imagine the size of my pantry with staples from all around the world! beautiful nightmare :)

I am also a molecular microbial ecologist who brings the lab back in my kitchen.

Can't wait to participate and learn a lot from this forum!

#2 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

WOW!! and Welcome.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#3 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:19 AM

I second the WOW!  Nice to have you here :)

#4 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:27 AM

Welcome Cecilia

#5 catdaddy

catdaddy
  • participating member
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

You'll love it here. Welcome.

#6 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

A big Welcome from me, too, Cecilia!  Have fun here - we are a pretty good bunch.  Very diverse, so no matter what you are interested in, there is bound so be someone interested in the same thing!

#7 nakji

nakji
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

Welcome! As someone who has also moved around a lot, I sympathize with the out-of-control pantry. Hopefully you'll share some of the dishes you've collected during your travels.

#8 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

Lucky then to be in Atlanta where you can shop at Your DeKalb Farmers World Market near Decatur! The variety in that place is staggering, and I'm pretty spoiled living in the Bay Area. I'm assuming you have already discovered it. My daughter lives in Decatur and took us there when we visited. Just amazing.

#9 cybeline

cybeline
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome!

@Katie, yes I really like the DeKalb Farmer's Market and the Buford one as well! We come from SoCal and while I do miss local fresh veggies/fruits they have a very good selection in Atlanta of everything! Korean/Chinese/European...

@Nakji, I need to get started on compiling some dishes, I always take lots of pictures and write some ideas/recipes down. Will share them for sure!

#10 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

Microbial ecology of what?

#11 cybeline

cybeline
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

Microbial ecology of what?

marine microbes: picocyanobacteria for my PhD and now  microbes from oxygen minimum zones and deep sediments.

• gfweb likes this

#12 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

Allow me to add my welcome to the others'. You should fit right in here!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown