Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#241 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 725 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:35 PM

Did they serve Peaches in Chartreuse Jelly?

Oh, there are so many more than 5...and that's not counting the original 142 proof EV or special blends bottled for various bars and clubs...not to mention the way each year's release seems to taste slightly different (perhaps due to recipe variation, or changes to infused elements as they age in the bottle). Sometimes I think Chartreuse is a rabbit hole just as deep as rum or bourbon.

Nope, nothing quite so "titanic".  As to the other variations I expect I will have to go to France, if not the monastery itself, to have a decent chance to try them.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#242 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:00 PM

Epic recipe and comment.

I may or may not have recited some McCarthy while building this for a guest, à la Chris McMillian and the Mint Julep, the very dream of drinks.

• ChrisTaylor likes this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#243 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 949 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:34 PM

I expect I will have to go to France, if not the monastery itself, to have a decent chance to try them.

I've seen the 9th Century and 1605 for sale in the U.S. The MOFS is a bit more scarce...my first bottle did come from the distillery in Voiron, but more recently I found it at CDG Duty Free. The Whisky Exchange in London sells all of them...and, samples are certainly available at Pouring Ribbons in NYC.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#244 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 949 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:12 AM

Trying to finish some of the emptier bottles to make room on the bar, have been sipping on a lot of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (68.5%, 2nd Release) and Weller 107. Intriguing though they are straight, I'd love some suggestions for favorite over-proof/barrel strength bourbon cocktails. I'm fond of the Staggerac and the Boulevard Des Rêves. The Reverse Brooklyn (aka Reverse Stagghattan) might get made tonight. Any other suggestions for mixing with high(er) proof bourbon, other than a few drops of water?

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#245 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

Flips.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#246 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:04 AM

^^ Less seasonally appropriate, maybe, but juleps. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#247 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 949 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:24 AM

Flips.

Roger. Reminds me that I really enjoy this template...will see what I do with that.

DeVoto, The Hour

#248 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

doubleplusgood

1 oz. campari

1 oz. greenhook ginsmiths beach plum liqueur

1 oz. asbach uralt brandy

rinse of laphroaig cask strength

the beach plum liqueur has an commonly low sugar content, almost to the point that it might be a regret or a missed opportunity, but cocktails just don't care. they can fix anything. flaws can become features and a plane is a fragment of the architecture of space so we can just assemble a bunch of fragments being sympathetic to all the planes and voila! this drink is doubleplusgood delicious.

the Asbach is some special stuff and resembles Armagnac most closely, I'd say. only one creative importer/liquor store in Boston seems to sell it and we won't rat them out because they don't even bother to put a surgeon generals warning on it. in a post modern cocktail world where most people can't drink past cute things like Pierre Ferrand 1840 after they read about them five times in junk magazines, we have no trouble still finding the gems.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#249 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

What's wrong with Pierre Ferrand 1840?

Edit:  I drink past a lot of it.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 29 October 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#250 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,268 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:07 AM

What's wrong with Pierre Ferrand 1840?

Edit:  I drink past a lot of it.

not a lot of value. there is this illusion that bar programs explore all their options to bring you the most extraordinary stuff to drink but when you really start talking to people you find they've actually only had very few different options in their life.

it happens in wine a lot especially with young buyers. there is often talk about viognier or cornas like someone has really had thirty plus experiences with them across many years and then it really turns out they've only had tastes of three or four and never really made love to any of it.

Its all my overly critical reaction to cocktail lists being covered in combier and pampelmouse. when you see certain products decorating a list, its pretty much a flag no really explored anything.

• Rafa likes this
abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#251 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 949 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:24 AM

The Reverse Brooklyn (aka Reverse Stagghattan) might get made tonight. Any other suggestions for mixing with high(er) proof bourbon, other than a few drops of water?

I give you the Reverse Crooklyn (aka Reverse Craighatten)...it was...robust.

2 oz Punt e Mes

1 oz Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

1/4 oz Amer Picon

Scant barspoon Leopold Bros Maraschino

A coin of lemon zest let the thinnest ray of sunshine through a crack in the door of an otherwise dark and brooding saloon.

B1KJFKkIIAEDTys.jpg

Edited by KD1191, Yesterday, 10:26 AM.

• FrogPrincesse likes this

DeVoto, The Hour

#252 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,641 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:58 AM

not a lot of value. there is this illusion that bar programs explore all their options to bring you the most extraordinary stuff to drink but when you really start talking to people you find they've actually only had very few different options in their life.

it happens in wine a lot especially with young buyers. there is often talk about viognier or cornas like someone has really had thirty plus experiences with them across many years and then it really turns out they've only had tastes of three or four and never really made love to any of it.

Its all my overly critical reaction to cocktail lists being covered in combier and pampelmouse. when you see certain products decorating a list, its pretty much a flag no really explored anything.

Pierre Ferrand 1840 is 90 proof cognac.  I don't know of a lot of others from which to choose.

#253 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,159 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:53 AM

It's also not cloying like so many sub $50 cognacs*. 1840 is the real deal as far as I'm concerned.

*Ansac VS Cognac, for example, while nice and cheap, is also so sugared/boissed that it is LITERALLY sticky if some of it spills.

#254 Moto

Moto
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:51 PM

Has anyone tried mixing with Hennessey Black. I'm not sure if it is adulterated with Boise or not but it is 90 proof and I think it has better depth than 1840. I've sipped it a few times. I'm not sure if I like it but I do find it interesting.

#255 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,641 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:44 PM

One reviewer reported Hennessy Black is good with coke.  But I thought it was 80 proof?