Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
589 replies to this topic

#571 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:39 AM

Inspired by Craig, here's my first ever Mixology Monday entry. This month's theme is 'Drink of Shame'.

Temporary name: Entering a World of Pain

My 'drink of shame' was the Black Russian. Normal times, in Australia, a Black Russian is topped up with Coke. Because it's not like a Black Russian is overly sweet at all. The Black Russian was my first cocktail. In sexing it up, I wanted to retain its basic attributes: the sweet kind-of-fake coffee liqueur flavour, a bit of that Coke taste without the additional of actual cola and that boozy kick. I wanted something more complex than the classic but still recognisable and, dare I say it, appealing to someone that likes a Black Russian (with Coke).

The split base came about when I did my first experiment. Rye by itself just tasted a little odd: the spiciness and bite of the 100 proof spirit pushed the drink off centre, like a Manhattan variation gone wrong. A split base of rye and cognac worked a lot better. I considered rum and genever as a base but figured the ... spiciness of rye and the vanilla-y, oak-y kick of some kind of brandy might work better.

0.75 oz rye, Rittenhouse

0.75 oz cognac

0.5 oz coffee liqueur, Ristretto

0.5 oz Ramazzotti

1 dash Xocolatl Mole bitters

Stir. Strain into an old fashioned glass over a large rock. Accept that this is still a sweet 'dessert' drink.

DSC_0047_zpsreuj9hfz.jpg

mxmologo.gif

• Rafa and Craig E like this

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#572 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:13 PM

Since today was the first day that it's felt at all like spring, I made an aviation:

2 oz Magellan

1 oz lemon juice

2 teaspoons maraschino

1 teaspoon liqueur de violettes

Everything is right except the color.  There was a beautiful blue sky this afternoon, but this aviation ain't it.

#573 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:54 PM

First up, Mississippi punch:

2 oz PF 1840

1 oz S&C

1/2 oz arrack

2 teaspoons sugar

1 oz somewhat less than fresh squeezed lemon juice

As always a delight...but then I remembered I needed citrus for tonight's Hollandaise.  Duh.  So I sacrificed a lime (at three for a dollar) and prepared a new beverage, at least for me:

The Grande Bretagne Cocktail No 1, via Charles H. Baker.  I followed Baker's suggested modification to use lime instead of the original lemon juice.  To quote Baker:  "Being to our Ungoverned Mind One of the Five or Six Chief Cocktails of the Whole Wide World."*

"Using lime juice we found later is far better than lemon, although lemon is plenty good enough."  Indeed.

TheGrandeBretagneCocktailNo1.jpg

I used Bombay Dry, Blume Marillen, and Angostura orange bitters.

OK, if it's not in violation, here's my recipe:

1 1/2 oz Bombay Dry

1/2 oz Blume Marillen

1/2 oz fresh squeezed lime juice (generous)

dash Angostura orange.

1 teaspoon pasteurized egg white (more or less)

Not bad at all.

*Note:  Baker probably wrote this prior to the invention of the mai tai.

• gfweb likes this

#574 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:38 AM

After a superb wine and dinner I assayed to concoct a fantastical libation to follow.  I was not up to the task.  I'm having a generous digestive of Chartreuse yellow V.E.P.  It doesn't get much better.

#575 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:20 AM

Because I had to:

Chartreux040132015.jpg

Life is hard.

• gfweb and lesliec like this

#576 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:43 AM

VEP040132015.jpg

Edit:  the more I refill the glass, the less empty it becomes.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 13 April 2015 - 01:47 AM.

#577 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:15 AM

ChartreuxTop040132015.jpg

#578 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:42 AM

ChartreuxBox040132015.jpg

The glass is empty.

#579 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:54 PM

Since I seem to have been on a Chartreuse kick -- tonight I made a Cappelletti naked and famous:

3/4 oz Cappelletti

3/4 oz Vida

3/4 oz yellow V.E.P.

3/4 oz fresh squeezed lime juice

I like Cappelletti better than I like Aperol in this, even if Aperol is not as hard to spell.  Cappelletti is less sweet.

NakedAndFamous04132015.jpg

Unfortunately the naked and famous is the only reason I have Aperol on hand.

#580 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:32 PM

For some reason I forgot the lime juice in my white mai tai tonight.  I assure you it is not the same without it.  Only then did I notice the carefully measured lime juice on the counter.

I wonder if there is some way to work Chartreuse into a mai tai recipe?

• ChrisTaylor likes this

#581 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:33 PM

Absinthe is a beautiful accent in Mai Tais—I'm sure a dash or two of Chartreuse would work.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#582 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:46 PM

Absinthe is a beautiful accent in Mai Tais—I'm sure a dash or two of Chartreuse would work.

I confess I was being a bit facetious.  However I can report tonight's mai tai tasted a bit strange following the naked and famous.  Cappelletti or no.

Nothing a little M.R. with dinner couldn't fix.

#583 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

Or try the Cradle of Life. It's a fun tiki number.

#584 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:49 PM

What I did make tonight was a florodora imperial style (Imbibe! p 123).  Please note the bubbles:

FlorodoraImperial04142015.jpg

I did not have the called for well chilled stein so I simply quaffed from the mixing glass.  So easy to make and to go down.  This one is a keeper.

Edit:  rotuts would be proud.

Edit2:  spelling the drink name, duh.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 14 April 2015 - 09:00 PM.

• gfweb and Rafa like this

#585 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:58 PM

Love that old-school amp in the background

#586 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:39 PM

Thanks.  I usually drink, listen to music, and munch on peanuts at the computer.

Besides, the beautiful butcher block on which I like to make serious photographs of drinks is presently covered with forty eight bottles and fourteen cookbooks from the library.

That is the cookbooks from the library, unfortunately not the bottles.

#587 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:20 AM

Mixed two Martinis: one Bombay East-powered, the other Gin Mare-powered. I actually ... liked them. D&C specs. Noilly Pratt. The second one, Gin Mare, had Dandelion & Burdock bitters purely because that seemed like a good idea 2.5 ounces of gin into the evening.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#588 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:26 PM

Another florodora imperial style!  My mistake last night was replacing the bottle of feste's raspberry gum to the furthest back corner of the refrigerator.  This was before tasting the result.  Tonight I increased the raspberry gum to 1/2 ounce and the PF 1840 to 2 ounces.  Otherwise the same as last night -- except possibly for more bubbles as I didn't pause to try to take a photograph.  Bubbles are good.  I threw in a spent half lime as garnish, as I'm used to finding a spent half lime in my beverages, and, well, I had some.

Interesting that this drink is stirred not shaken, even with all the lime juice?  Anyhow, it works.  In searching on the web, the advice for stirring is not universal.  Furthermore some people specify a straw.

Tomorrow I plan to go out searching for ginger beer to concoct a less imperial florodora.  And, note to self, I must not forget more limes.

#589 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:44 PM

Dinner was very rich, and the previously sealed and freshly dated Shoprite sour cream was moldy.  And not a little moldy.  Further the wine which was so wonderful the night I first opened the bottle was now just OK.

I sought for something in my selection that would cleanse my palate.  (And maybe kill off a few organisms along the way.)  I chose Jade 1901 as tonight's digestive.

So pretty!  Possibly I should have poured a smaller glass.

http://upload.wikime...t_Project_2.jpg

Wikipedia -- public domain

#590 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:14 AM

Finally tried Amaro dell'Erborista and Amaro Sibilia last night, both with soda. Finally, Amari that are not too sweet - though the Sibilia is sweeter than the other, i find it VERY well balanced. I liked both, but I think alone with soda, Sibilia wins.

[Host's note: this topic has become too large for our servers to handle efficiently. The discussion continues here: Drinks! 2015 (Part 1).]