Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
529 replies to this topic

#511 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:41 AM

crushed bugs

You wish. Me too.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#512 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:58 PM

Busy two days:

1934 Zombies

10606088_10100317914399161_7102249817608

Aku Aku Lapus

11050295_10100317914389181_3002605907471

Colonial Cocktail from Martin's Index App (man, too much Maraschino, not enough gin...)

11060301_10100317915002951_7576468829047

Unnamed creation of mine: 2 oz coconut water, 1.5 oz Forres Park rum, 3/4 oz lime, 1/2 oz pineapple syrup, shaken and served on the rocks. Delicious.

11069309_10100317914404151_7730719183322

Daiquiri No. 3 from La Floridita

11064644_10100317914409141_7559229552197

Edited by Hassouni, 14 March 2015 - 10:05 PM.

• FrogPrincesse, curls, Rafa and 1 other like this

#513 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:10 AM

After a long hard rainy day, dinner, and a couple much more than satisfactory mai tais, white and brown -- I'm chewing a simple glass of Chartreux V.E.P.  One could do no better.

#514 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:59 PM

Following a very satisfactory Mississippi punch and a less than satisfactory attempt at dinner, barely washed down with some soave (no fault of the soave) -- at least I made room in the refrigerator -- I am enjoying a wineglass of Colonel Edmund Haynes Taylor straight rye.  A good way to spend an hour.  Not a Jerry Thomas wineglass.  My wineglass.

#515 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:22 AM

Les' Tolkien to try out one of my latest acquisitions, Ramazzotti. I used Grand Marnier as I didn't own tangelo liqueur. This is nice.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#516 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:11 PM

Les' Tolkien to try out one of my latest acquisitions, Ramazzotti. I used Grand Marnier as I didn't own tangelo liqueur. This is nice.

Well done, sir - glad you liked it.  Although I must disavow any claim to 'ownership'.  All we did was provide the inspiration; Gian did the work (he's now in Vancouver, unfortunately for us).

I'd be inclined to go Cointreau rather than Grand Marnier, in the absence of tangelo.

• tanstaafl2 likes this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#517 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:25 PM

The amaretto was just what I had on hand, and close enough in spirit to crème de noyaux (an apricot pit-flavored liqueur) to work in a pinch.

The Small Hand orgeat is indeed powerful. But the eau de vie is intense, and the liqueur is no slouch, and together they create a layered flavor in which the orgeat is just one component. To my taste, anyway. You're welcome to experiment. Blume Marillen should be available from any retailer that carries other Haus Alpenz products (e.g. Smith & Cross, van Oosten arrack, Cocchi Americano, etc).

What would you think of Combier abricot in place of the amaretto?

#518 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:11 AM

Being in a rye mood, waiting for the snow to come, I'm contemplating upon an after dinner sip of Whistlepig.  As much as I appreciate Colonel Taylor, I have to say I prefer Whistlepig...at least I do tonight.

If I had to choose one bottle to replenish I think it would be Whistlepig.  Fortunately, that is not the case.

#519 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 743 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:03 AM

What would you think of Combier abricot in place of the amaretto?

Worth a shot (or two).

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#520 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 788 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:31 PM

Well done, sir - glad you liked it.  Although I must disavow any claim to 'ownership'.  All we did was provide the inspiration; Gian did the work (he's now in Vancouver, unfortunately for us).

I'd be inclined to go Cointreau rather than Grand Marnier, in the absence of tangelo.

Solerno Blood Orange liqueur comes to mind as a possible alternative to the local tangelo liqueur. Have you tried that one before to be able to say if it would work? If not Cointreau or another curacao is always readily available. The Pierre Ferrand perhaps or is that too dry?

• cyalexa likes this
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#521 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:38 PM

My ship came in, and a brown mai tai, which following the Glendalouch seemed a little sweet.  One can do far worse.

I have a problem that my mint is wilting and going bad before I can use it up.  Don't know what to do about this.

#522 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:23 PM

Solerno Blood Orange liqueur comes to mind as a possible alternative to the local tangelo liqueur. Have you tried that one before to be able to say if it would work? If not Cointreau or another curacao is always readily available. The Pierre Ferrand perhaps or is that too dry?

I suspect the PF would be too dry. The original tangelo, or the equivalent I make, are quite sweet. I made a Tolkien myself last night with some orange liqueur that's close to Cointreau and it was most satisfactory.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#523 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:16 PM

Widow's kiss, Kappeler via Imbibe! ...following my customary mai tai, etc.  I knew at the first sip I had neglected the Angostura, so I added it as a float.  I may assay a second kiss, just to get it right.  Mindful that the warning is "the combination if taken in rapidly repeating doses is said to be intoxicating."  I may have to take the chance.  Besides, I have no other way to use up Benedictine.

#524 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:01 AM

Improved Whiskey Cocktail: 2 oz Ritt, .25 oz Luxardo Mara, .25 oz simple and three dashes of Angostura bitters stirred/poured over a lonesome ice cube. Absinthe (Grande Absenthe) rinse. Rather pleasant. I reckon it'd be especially pleasant with the beastly Millstone 100 I recently purchased. I mean, if you're going to set out to make a rye whiskey, it doesn't hurt to do a better job than most of the American and Canadian distillers ...

EDIT

Rocking the adverb.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#525 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:34 AM

A work in progress. The Old Main Drag. 1.5 Jameson, .5 Byrrh, .25 Dolin sweet, .75 Campari. It's not balanced. But it's amusing enough that I'll probably go back and tinker with the quantity of whiskey (a full two ounces?) and/or Byrrh.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#526 sbumgarner

sbumgarner
  • participating member
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

I picked up a bottle of the Giffard Pamplemousse and did a slight riff on a Brown Derby:

2 oz Rittenhouse

.75 oz Pamplemousse

.5 oz lime

.25oz 1:1 honey syrup

Shake, strain, coupe.

This is close, it pops a little more than a Brown Derby usually does. I'd like more of the honey flavor without the sweetness, but I'm not quite sure how to do that at the moment. Maybe a teaspoon more honey, a little less Pamplemousse and the addition of a grapefruit twist and/or grapefruit bitters at the end would keep the balance.

The Pamplemousse itself is pretty nice, sweet with just enough acidity, and they nailed the grapefruit aroma. I'd like to experiment mixing it with Becherovka or Hiver Amer to create an alcoholic Donn's mix of sorts.

• FrogPrincesse, Rafa, Craig E and 1 other like this

#527 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 743 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:12 PM

Maybe consider a honey liqueur like Bärenjäger?

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#528 sbumgarner

sbumgarner
  • participating member
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:24 PM

Maybe consider a honey liqueur like Bärenjäger?

That's a good idea, I forget about that one.

#529 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:03 PM

Señor Rafa dared me, so fuck it.

I had a much-fêted special release barrel strength Willet bourbon today. I did not care for it a bit. Bourbon remains an inferior spirit - give me decent rye, scotch, tequila, mezcal, brandy, RUM any day over "decent" bourbon. Not to say I haven't had good bourbon but man is it some overrated shit.

• Fernet-Bronco likes this

#530 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

I should point out I've had a DELICIOUS Willet rye (the 2 year old). They dropped the ball on this one.