Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
352 replies to this topic

#331 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:53 PM

Happiness is a case of orgeat.  My first course (also breakfast) was a white mai tai -- by the formulation this time, not quite as exhilarating as the seat of the pants white mai tai from last night.  Second course is a brown mai tai.  I wish there was a way I could determine which mai tai I liked better.

Last weekend my children were trying to educate me in the finer points of Scotch, but that's all I need, another expensive hobby.  Some of that stuff was almost as much as a good Oaxacan mezcal.

#332 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

My hideously expensive lime tonight yielded a full overflowing schott glass.  So of course it was time for a white mai tai:

55 ml La Favorite Blanc

55 ml W&N

20 ml Cointreau

20 ml orgeat

juice of one lime

Delightful.  Nice to play metric for a change.  Beautiful mint.  Blue straw.  Such simplicity.

#333 Craig E

Craig E
  • participating member
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:58 PM

2oxHHP4l.jpg

Having a go at making Toms & Jerries (?) for the holiday party tonight.

#334 Craig E

Craig E
  • participating member
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:24 PM

Last night's Tom & Jerry experiment was a success, but tonight's Fernet & Jerry was revelatory! Fantastic!

• bostonapothecary and Rafa like this

#335 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:13 PM

I keep going back and forth between white mai tais and -- for lack of a better term -- brown mai tais.  I cannot decide which mai tai I like best.  Currently I am enjoying a white mai tai.  However though a tragic accident I seem to have left out the orgeat.  I'm not sure how this happened.  The drink is a bit puckery even for my taste.

A large float of orgeat seems to have fixed things up.  Let this serve as a cautionary tale for children.

#336 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:52 PM

Outside it's about ten degrees colder than my mai tai, so my mai tai tonight of course is brown.  And it almost turned out interesting.  I splashed lime juice in my eye and was about to add Colonel Taylor to the shaker in place of Lost Spirits navy style.  The Taylor is only 100 proof, so I probably would have noticed eventually.

• ChrisTaylor likes this

#337 Craig E

Craig E
  • participating member
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

First cocktail outing while in London, to Happiness Forgets and White Lyan in Hoxton. Most intriguing drink was White Lyan's "Salad" (house gin, lettuce, Herbes de Provence, red apple soda). 

#338 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

Agh came very close to going to White Lyan just before Christmas. Tell us more?

#339 Craig E

Craig E
  • participating member
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

Agh came very close to going to White Lyan just before Christmas. Tell us more?

We had the place nearly to ourselves (slow Sunday night) whereas Happiness Forgets was packed to the gills. I started with the Moby Dick Sazerac which includes ambergris. Which, if you read about it, seems like about the most improbable ingredient thinkable. But it seemed to work as intended as a "fixative," extending the flavor of the drink's other ingredients well beyond what I'd normally expect. My adventurous friend had the aforementioned Salad, which was terrific.

Second round was two shot drinks: See No, which was gin-based and strongly dominated by lavender, and Do No, a tequila/grapefruit/green tabasco concoction that I thought actually tasted like an intensified version of the Salad, though it shares no ingredients. I suppose many of the drinks there, by virtue of adhering to the house assumptions of no ice and no perishables, will wind up having some family resemblances.

We finished with a carbonated highball called a Legs Eleven, which had prominent and agreeable flavors of brown sugar and salted cashews.

Enjoyed every drink and would recommend the place to anybody with the slightest bit of adventurousness. Before going I wondered if the place would seem gimmicky and pretentious or not. Happy to report it was a great experience.

#340 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:02 PM

Having finished my bottle of Campari, I had no choice last night but to use Gran Classico Bitter in the Negroni I was craving last night. I used Punt e Mes for the sweet vermouth to compensate for the fact that Gran Classico is less bitter than Campari. The rye was St. George dry rye. The Negroni was good with a savory note thanks to the dry rye gin. But like things that start out great and then take an unexpected twist, the candy-like flavor of the Gran Classico on the finish was an unwelcome surprise.

16330160425_fd4f8005e8_z.jpg

#341 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

We had the place nearly to ourselves (slow Sunday night) whereas Happiness Forgets was packed to the gills. I started with the Moby Dick Sazerac which includes ambergris. Which, if you read about it, seems like about the most improbable ingredient thinkable. But it seemed to work as intended as a "fixative," extending the flavor of the drink's other ingredients well beyond what I'd normally expect. My adventurous friend had the aforementioned Salad, which was terrific.

Second round was two shot drinks: See No, which was gin-based and strongly dominated by lavender, and Do No, a tequila/grapefruit/green tabasco concoction that I thought actually tasted like an intensified version of the Salad, though it shares no ingredients. I suppose many of the drinks there, by virtue of adhering to the house assumptions of no ice and no perishables, will wind up having some family resemblances.

We finished with a carbonated highball called a Legs Eleven, which had prominent and agreeable flavors of brown sugar and salted cashews.

Enjoyed every drink and would recommend the place to anybody with the slightest bit of adventurousness. Before going I wondered if the place would seem gimmicky and pretentious or not. Happy to report it was a great experience.

Loved White Lyan too. I was there at the end of last year, also on a Sunday night, and had the place to myself for most of the time that I spent there. The Moby Dick Sazerac also made an impression on me, along with everything else I had a chance to try. Great spot.

They just released a little video about the Salad cocktail that you describe in your post.

• Craig E likes this

#342 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:08 AM

For me tonight it was two brown mai tais.  For my brown (eg. non-white) mai tais the critical factor seems to be no more than one ounce of lime juice.  Any more lime than this tastes off.  Yet for a white mai tai two ounces of lime juice is not too much.  Two mai tais from one lime is a bargain.

#343 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:12 PM

Tonight it was a white mai tai, but I had only one once of La Favoite.  (Two more bottles on the way.)  To make up the difference I used Neisson l'Esprit, which adds a beautiful butyl rubber note:

WhiteMaiTai01232015.jpg

Again, I apologize for the iPad picture.

• gfweb likes this

#344 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,146 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:27 AM

From last night, a Bobby Burns with Highland Park 12 scotch, Dolin sweet vermouth, Benedictine, Angostura bitters.

Now that my bottle of Highland Park is practically gone, I wonder what I should replace it with (it will be used for mixing).

16181868870_03a1a62c86_z.jpg

#345 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 754 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:19 PM

From last night, a Bobby Burns with Highland Park 12 scotch, Dolin sweet vermouth, Benedictine, Angostura bitters.

Now that my bottle of Highland Park is practically gone, I wonder what I should replace it with (it will be used for mixing).

Something like standard Glenmorangie 10 ought to work unless you just want that bit of peaty smokey flavor that HP has. I think of the Bobby Burns as having more of a sweeter Highland style whisky which Glenmo can easily bring.

Edited by tanstaafl2, Yesterday, 01:22 PM.

• FrogPrincesse likes this
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#346 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,929 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:12 PM

Mississippi punch.  Because it seems like a good morning to be having one:

2 oz F&P 1840 Cognac

1 oz S&C

1/2 oz arrack

2 1/2 oz lemon juice (more or less)

2 teapoons sugar

Yellow straw, beautiful sprig of mint.  Might taste even better if my hands didn't smell of bleach.

• bostonapothecary likes this

#347 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted Today, 10:53 AM

Lately at work we've been serving only the Tomatin 12 because its delicious and the price is a gift. If you can find it, and sometimes Wholefoods has it, try some chestnut flower honey in place of the Benedictine (1:1 syrup) and look out for the Vergano American as a vermouth possibility.

• FrogPrincesse and Rafa like this
abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#348 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 698 posts

Posted Today, 03:02 PM

Seconding the Glenmorangie and Tomatin recommendations, and adding Speyburn 10 as a choice for those who are both budget- and flavor-conscious. The Compass Box blends are also lovely stuff, as is Clynelish 14, from the distillery whose malts form the heart of most of the CB bottlings. All of these will do well in recipes that call generically for Scotch, though they lack the hint of peat that round out the Highland Park.

• FrogPrincesse and Hassouni like this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#349 Craig E

Craig E
  • participating member
  • 59 posts

Posted Today, 03:15 PM

Finished off my London cocktail tour business trip with a visit to Dandelyan. Favorite of the things I tried was the Patchouli Fizz (Beefeater London Garden Gin, basil, apricot, green tea, lemon, lemon and quinine). 

• Hassouni likes this

#350 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,146 posts

Posted Today, 03:45 PM

Finished off my London cocktail tour business trip with a visit to Dandelyan. Favorite of the things I tried was the Patchouli Fizz (Beefeater London Garden Gin, basil, apricot, green tea, lemon, lemon and quinine). 

Between the name and the ingredient list (garden, basil, apricot... ), this is exactly the kind of thing I would be terrified to order.

What did it taste like?

#351 Craig E

Craig E
  • participating member
  • 59 posts

Posted Today, 05:13 PM

I ordered it in part because I was a bit terrified myself. (I find patchouli used as a deodorant a horrible, horrible thing.) A kind of unsound, sounds-so-bad-it-must-be-good theory that is the kind of thing that arises during the last round of the last night of a cocktail tour business trip. Wise or not, it paid off this time.

The patchouli was light enough to just lend herbal notes, and the Merlet apricot liqueur was similarly restrained. And the basil took the form of the tiniest little leaves perched atop the lemon-slice garnish, for the nose's sake only. The drink essentially tasted like a gin and tonic with an enjoyable complexity to it.

#352 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,021 posts

Posted Today, 09:09 PM

Bobby Burn-ish, Rye, Laphroaig 10, Punt e Mes, Benedictine, dry vermouth, twist. Yum.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#353 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,283 posts

Posted Today, 10:49 PM

Beer

whisky

that's about it

I did pull a white-girl and have a HUGE glass of red wine while watching Netflix on Friday night. I dunno how they do it, it was way too much wine....

Edited by Hassouni, Today, 10:50 PM.