Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Kitchen photos

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#91 MetsFan5

MetsFan5
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:12 AM

This was the ugly before state. We are using the cabinets and some of the granite for our mud/ laundry room. Why are my pictures upside down?! They're not when I view them otherwise. All these upside down pictures remind me of an episode of Weeds.

Attached Images

• image.jpg

Edited by MetsFan5, 25 February 2015 - 12:14 AM.

• Porthos and FauxPas like this

#92 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:17 AM

I feel your pain, MetsFan5.  Our kitchen remodeling was done in "record time" - meaning it only took 3 times as long as estimated - but we were very pleased with the final result.  I bet you will be too...over and above the sheer relief of being done.   :biggrin:

• Porthos likes this

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#93 MetsFan5

MetsFan5
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:24 AM

I feel your pain, MetsFan5. Our kitchen remodeling was done in "record time" - meaning it only took 3 times as long as estimated - but we were very pleased with the final result. I bet you will be too...over and above the sheer relief of being done. :biggrin:

I really, really hope so! Even just using the range to heat a can of soup at this point would be a huge deal! I'm starting to second guess my floor stain and cabinet color, granite slabs, you know when it's not around it just makes you crazy mentally! And then the huge task of cleaning every.single.piece. Of china and glassware and serving platters and all the nice things from our wedding we haven't touched? I need to make sure everything has a home!

Edited by MetsFan5, 25 February 2015 - 12:24 AM.

#94 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,439 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:40 AM

here you go :

kit.jpg

very nice, larger than I thought

• gfweb, patti_h and Thanks for the Crepes like this

#95 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:36 AM

MetsFan5 Kitchen Remodel Pics

MetFanKitchen1.jpg

MetFanKitchen2.jpg

MetFanKitchen3.jpg

• gfweb and MetsFan5 like this

.... Shel

#96 Dave W

Dave W
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:29 AM

Before

qWC5nhL.jpg?1

After

Gkn2Fd0.jpg

Added pantry storage and permanent buffet

KUL9Y7m.png

Fridge and floors

gzFGrCVm.png

Guest starring levain. This was a massive undertaking as we had to add a structural support beam in the middle of the room where the previous owner had removed a load bearing wall and rigged something hanging from the rafters by steel straps instead of pulling a permit and doing it properly.

Established January 2014. Induction hotplate and pressure cooker kept us well fed for the 100 days it took. Can't say I ever want to wash dishes in the bathtub again.

• gfweb, Porthos and DiggingDogFarm like this

#97 Dave W

Dave W
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:46 AM

Oh and that original kitchen peninsula ^^ was constructed out of stained plywood fascia with a counter made of shellaced 2x4 boards that were laid in a mildly U-shaped concave/boat pattern I guess to prevent spills. But who knows?

#98 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:14 AM

100 days...wow

That is the very thing that is keeping my hideous old cabinets in place. When the time eventually comes I may be the general contractor and do it in controllable stages. I've heard horror stories.

#99 Dave W

Dave W
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

It wasn't a horror story really we did two bathrooms too, although when working on the framing I did overhear the carpenter saying that the place's previous frameup was a "horror show"

#100 MetsFan5

MetsFan5
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:33 AM

Thanks Shel and Rotus for changing the pictures!

Wo Dave, that remodel is gorgeous!!!

#101 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:34 AM

Dave - what's the flooring? Looks like bamboo.  

Nice setup.  Where's the weed patch?

• rotuts likes this
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#102 Dave W

Dave W
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:46 AM

The flooring is oak boards with a gray stain.

Weed patch ie lawn and veg garden is directly out the window over the sink. In the context of colorado weed if I were so inclined there are plenty of other people growing that.

#103 MetsFan5

MetsFan5
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:52 PM

Dave, our floors are also oak. I really like the grey shade, we had ours sanded and stained with a cherry tone to match the bazillion cabinets we have ordered.
My contractor is really working my nerves- not communicating with the custom cabinet guys who he referred us to, filed permits for the work AFTER doing the work, which has us in limbo. Every day it seems there's more bad news delaying us. I have an yet to be diagnosed gastrointestinal issues and not having fresh food to make and eat is making life extra miserable. That combined with exposed walls and holes in the rec room ceiling to re-vent air ducts and the extended gas line...it's a lot for a first time home owner!

That said, my custom hutch has room for a 24 inch wide wine fridge. However, that seems to be a rarity other than super expensive, like 2k ones. Any suggestions?

#104 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:01 PM

Effing contractors will drive you crazy.

Remember the TV show Green Acres? Every gen. contractor I've dealt with over 30 yrs is like Mr. Haney...a line of bullshit and a determination to fleece you.

Re wine fridge...this seems affordable  http://www.winecoole...f_OfxoCzx_w_wcB

• Porthos likes this

#105 Porthos

Porthos
  • participating member
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:08 PM

My small kitchen ....

Although mirrored, your kitchen reminds me of the second apartment my DW and I rented. I found the layout of that galley kitchen very easy to cook in. In those days we never cooked for more than 4 people including ourselves when we had friends over to dinner. Does you space serve you well?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Unrelenting Carnivore
"If every pork chop was perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs." (source unknown)
Customer to clerk in a clothing store, "Do you have these in a size for people who actually eat?"

#106 MetsFan5

MetsFan5
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:11 PM

Effing contractors will drive you crazy.

Remember the TV show Green Acres? Every gen. contractor I've dealt with over 30 yrs is like Mr. Haney...a line of bullshit and a determination to fleece you.

Re wine fridge...this seems affordable  http://www.winecoole...f_OfxoCzx_w_wcB

Thank that is perfect!
I'm a bit young to remember Green Acres though. I found my contractor is a very dumb way- I used yelp. Yes, I know. AND I failed to notice all his reviews were from people in CA who live near my in laws. He had JUST moved to NJ, although less than a mile from our home. I should have asked my parents but I was stubborn. Backfire! He is diligent and has fixed other little things that have popped up for free, but he is hardly familiar with state or township laws or subcontractors. I spend my entire day locked in the bedroom when he has electricians and plumbers here, because I don't know these people and get irrationally nervous. Plus they are in my attic a lot, which has drop down stairs right outside the master bedroom. My husband suggested I spend two weeks or so in Marco Island to avoid dealing with this and him coming down in weekend but I thought that was irrational. Now I know I was being irrational in not accepting th offer!

#107 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:23 PM

Thank that is perfect!
I'm a bit young to remember Green Acres though. I found my contractor is a very dumb way- I used yelp. Yes, I know. AND I failed to notice all his reviews were from people in CA who live near my in laws. He had JUST moved to NJ, although less than a mile from our home. I should have asked my parents but I was stubborn. Backfire! He is diligent and has fixed other little things that have popped up for free, but he is hardly familiar with state or township laws or subcontractors. I spend my entire day locked in the bedroom when he has electricians and plumbers here, because I don't know these people and get irrationally nervous. Plus they are in my attic a lot, which has drop down stairs right outside the master bedroom. My husband suggested I spend two weeks or so in Marco Island to avoid dealing with this and him coming down in weekend but I thought that was irrational. Now I know I was being irrational in not accepting th offer!

Probably you've done better than most with this guy. You used the words 'diligent' and 'free'...rarely combined with 'contractor' .

#108 MetsFan5

MetsFan5
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

Probably you've done better than most with this guy. You used the words 'diligent' and 'free'...rarely combined with 'contractor' .

Very good point. While the electrical work came in slightly over budget they did a LOT of new wiring, I just need better communication. March is when we both have birthdays and I love going to spring Training.

We only have a fridge, a decent sized freezer that came with the home our has and a microwave we bought while living on Mott St. In NoLIta ages ago to live off of. And we are storing wine glasses, china, knives, plates, etc all over the place.
  • gfweb likes this

#109 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 3,028 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:18 PM

Although mirrored, your kitchen reminds me of the second apartment my DW and I rented. I found the layout of that galley kitchen very easy to cook in. In those days we never cooked for more than 4 people including ourselves when we had friends over to dinner. Does you space serve you well?

I've never cooked for more than four people here, either, although I believe it can be done without too much difficulty.  Still, four is very comfortable.  While the space is tight, I'm adapting and learning techniques to better use the space.  Before retiring and downsizing, my kitchen was about 375 sq ft with lots of counter space.

When I moved in, about 15-mos ago, some friends bought me this cart as a housewarming gift.  The extra space for food prep, the Breville, and storage is very helpful.

Kitchen Cart Smaller.jpg

Edited by Shel_B, Yesterday, 12:31 PM.

• Porthos and DiggingDogFarm like this

.... Shel

#110 Porthos

Porthos
  • participating member
  • 1,304 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:20 PM

Shel, that is a really nice looking cutting board.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Unrelenting Carnivore
"If every pork chop was perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs." (source unknown)
Customer to clerk in a clothing store, "Do you have these in a size for people who actually eat?"

#111 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 3,028 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:43 PM

Shel, that is a really nice looking cutting board.

Thank you.  A friend who builds custom furniture made it for me.

.... Shel