Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

British vs US/Canadian pan sizes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,783 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

I have acquired a couple of British baking books. I would like to start baking from them but I noticed their pan sizes are different than those in North America. For instance they seem to have a 12 x 9 x 1 1/2" tray bake pan and a 2lb loaf pan which is 10x5x21/2". I don't fancy acquiring a whole new set of pans. Aside from perhaps a different baking time, will I likely run into any other problems if I use a 13 x 9 and a 9 x 5? (I was born and raised in Britain but came to Canada when I was 14 so I had not done a lot of baking!)

Edited to make some sense.

Edited by Anna N, 31 May 2014 - 04:08 PM.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#2 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:56 AM

I'm dealing with a similar situation in Denmark. After doing some math to figure out which pans had measurements that actually gave the same baked-good surface area (i.e. in this case, similar surface to volume ratios), and which gave significantly different surface areas, I found that often, simply following the recipe worked out fine, even for a slightly different pan; I check for doneness 10 minutes before the item is actually supposed to be done.

If the result was a bit underdone (sometimes happens when the surface area is smaller than you'd get when using the recommended pan), on subsequent occasions I've lowered the temperature 10C/50F, and extended the baking time by about ten minutes (my US cookbooks are now heavily annotated).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#3 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,783 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:36 AM

I'm dealing with a similar situation in Denmark. After doing some math to figure out which pans had measurements that actually gave the same baked-good surface area (i.e. in this case, similar surface to volume ratios), and which gave significantly different surface areas, I found that often, simply following the recipe worked out fine, even for a slightly different pan; I check for doneness 10 minutes before the item is actually supposed to be done.
If the result was a bit underdone (sometimes happens when the surface area is smaller than you'd get when using the recommended pan), on subsequent occasions I've lowered the temperature 10C/50F, and extended the baking time by about ten minutes (my US cookbooks are now heavily annotated).

Thank you. I think I will just plow ahead and see what happens. I might keep my eyes open in the thrift stores but I certainly am not buying new ones.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog