Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cooking burgers sous vide, have some questions

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#91 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,608 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

interesting Technique

why not  do as you do

(  as PB  'Mr Beef' )

suggest some aged beef    or  not  

but  rather than sear at the end

dont do the first fry

save that for the end.

a bit like MC

compare these

then choose.

• gfweb likes this

#92 btbyrd

btbyrd
  • participating member
  • 100 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

I'm following the Dave Arnold protocol of fry-SV-grill (but with gas instead of charcoal). The reason I grill at the end instead of just deep frying is that I really like the flavor that comes off the grill. If you bag the burger with butter and drip the bag juices over the grill once it's scorching hot, you get that grilled meat flavor in a short amount of time. Straight up fried burger meat browns but doesn't have those vaporized fat/juice flavors. Here's tonight's progression with the brisket-shortrib-NYstrip blend.

burger_patties.jpg

burger_fry.jpg

Post fry, pre-grill,

burger_fry_seared.jpg

Post grill, pre-bun.

burger_patty_final.jpg

Bun.

burger_final.jpg

Yep, that's a Kraft single on top. I have some Kerrygold cheese waiting for some sodium citrate and carrageenan to make some melty slices for the weekend. I figured a fried SV grill burger was enough work for the middle of the week.

Edited by btbyrd, 31 July 2014 - 07:04 PM.

• Unpopular Poet likes this

#93 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

Funny btbyrd..I'm working with a similar blend..but substitute strip. And applewood bacon...this weekend...I like the fry idea.. That thing. Also has some stack too
  • btbyrd likes this
Its good to have Morels

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist