Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

May 2014 China Trip

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:20 AM

Strange, none of those geese can be comfortable, but the ones at the right look especially uncomfortable. Do you know whether they're left hanging like that routinely, or had those tried to escape and gotten snagged just before the photo was snapped? There doesn't seem to be room for them inside the cart.

Going back to food etiquette: if there are no leftovers, do the hosts take that as a sign that they didn't provide enough?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#62 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

these geese are being delivered somewhere..  so, this guy is loading them up.. but, they didn't seem under duress they were just like chilling..  even the guys tied to the side of the cart.. 

That is a good question.. I am not sure at this point.. I am really comfortable with most of the people i go visit at this point..Some i have 12 year relationships with..  They know me and i often show my exasperation in their ordering too much.. Today, i was done before the fish and noodles arrived.. 

Someone else asked me how expensive these meals are..  I took a walk tonight around town as i am sort of full and very bored.. i really like the foot massages here but, with a broken toe, I don't know how that would work!  Though, allow me to make a 10 percent off the foot massage joke.  

the meal today was probably 250 to like 320 rmb.. Tonight at the grocery store, a pint of hagen daaz costs 88 rMB.. So, you could have eaten that entire meal for the cost of three or 4 pints of ice cream.. 

Edited by basquecook, 01 June 2014 - 07:36 AM.

• Smithy likes this

#63 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

the meal today was probably 250 rmb.. Tonight at the grocery store, a pint of hagen daaz costs 88 rMB.. So, you could have eaten that entire meal for the cost of three pints of ice cream.. 

But Häagen-Dazs is notoriously expensive in China. It's hardly a fair or meaningful comparison. You could probably get 20+ pints of Nestle ice cream for that price. But what does that prove?

Going back to food etiquette: if there are no leftovers, do the hosts take that as a sign that they didn't provide enough?

Usually, yes. Recently, however, there has been a drive against conspicuous over-ordering and waste, but it's still a sensitive subject.

I rather imagine that the hosts in this case are having a great time. It is now party policy (which effectively amounts to law) that banquets consist of no more than four courses + one soup. This can be waived when foreigner guests are being entertained. That said, when President Xi Jinping entertained Vlad Putin last week, the official banquet was limited to an austere ten dishes.

#64 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:57 AM

they serve hagen daaz ice cream on United Airlines to china... That must be like a point of luxury then.   It doesn't prove anything, I find it interesting, i was just sharing.   

#65 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:19 AM

they serve hagen daaz ice cream on United Airlines to china.

If that's how they spell it, it must be a Chinese fake.

Just like my Didias t-shirt which the Beijing Silk Market vendor insisted was genuine Adidas. As if the Silk Marlet would ever have anything real.

:smile:

Edited by liuzhou, 01 June 2014 - 09:26 AM.

#66 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

i am sure i am misspelling it.. my internet is too slow, it would take me 5 minutes to spell check.  does google work well by you?  i have to use yahoo and it always times out. 

Edited by basquecook, 01 June 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#67 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

i am sure i am misspelling it.. my internet is too slow, it would take me 5 minutes to spell check. does google work well by you? i have to use yahoo and it always times out. 

I was only joking.

Yes, China's internet is atrocious, especially if you are sharing public connections such as those in hotels, but I am at home with a personal connection and have years of experience of getting round 99% their blocks and delays. I get to Google, Facebook, Youtube, and (I think you mentioned) the New York Times and all the other news media, usually with no problems.

I had to look up the spelling, too.

Edited by liuzhou, 01 June 2014 - 10:21 AM.

• Smithy likes this

#68 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

ah, i am sure my posts are riddled with errors.. In between long work days and everything else, i don't spell check, proofread, or edit.. i just post stuff.. i work enough all day! if grammar mistakes upset you, or anyone, you have been not so much forewarned but, mid warned. 

• Allura and Smithy like this

#69 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,271 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

BC:  

who reads your stuff ?   I just drool a lot over the food , the ambiance, etc

:biggrin:

#70 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

if grammar mistakes upset you...

I repeat, I was joking.

#71 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

no worries, not offended at all 

lunch.. I am proud of me.. After skipping dinner last night, after skipping breafast this morning, i was finally hungry for lunch... And, without over eating and without drinking beers, i left the table not over stuffed and ashamed..  It turns out i do have some will power. 

it turns out the chef is not from Yangzhou.   He likes to pride himself on his originality of his dishes..  Today he was on his game.. The meal was really damn good. 

We started with cold pork jowl with tofu.. You know, this way a vegetarian and a carnivore could sit down and happily share this plate. 

14326909955_8fe9f8d37c_z.jpg

beans cooked with star anise and peppers..  I almost created an international incident when i asked to see the chef's Anise.  

14140299880_afde3d7eba_z.jpg

I was mistaken.. This is not cucumber, it is a cocooza. spelling.. thought it was a cucumber but, it keeps it's shape and texture much more.. I forget the spelling and google isn't' helping.. but, it's those large plants that grow huge cucumbers.. the guy in my office grows them and gave me a few.. it was in a spicy broth.  Really nice

14325150202_9b64176761_z.jpg

greens

with little shrimp:

14323580361_5f31c2aa46_z.jpg

more chicken like yesteday

14140244098_922ff6d70a_z.jpg

pork bone soup with sliced pork and tofu bean curd sheets. 

14323581471_0f3638ef19_z.jpg

because of the holiday today, they brought out free zongzi.. it's because of a Poet i believe.. today is a special holiday but, we are ruining it for them by making them work. they accompanied it with a sweet sugar that i would compare to the inside of a pixie stick 

14303760806_c50175a4c4_z.jpg

14140078978_6fe5f249f9_z.jpg

these were beautiful fish in a muddy spicy sauce. they had a really soft texture, not a lot of bones and was full of roe.. it was delicious.. favorite thing on the table

14140016118_1ff48ef7c6_z.jpg

this item shows off the chef's creativity.. yangzhou is known for it's lion head meatballs.. These were called, Lion King Meatball in Chinese.. While there was very little meat, it was mainly tofu, egg and nuts.. there was a slight cinnamon taste.. it was really unique.. While i didn't love it, i thought it was good.. it was the last thing that came out so, the fact it wasn't a huge meatball was a relief.  

14303634606_5f241d440f_z.jpg

14326077974_8d5e7a2dfa_z.jpg

Forgot another plate of greens

14325011672_d1f93026e7_z.jpg

• gfweb, Shelby and patrickamory like this

#72 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

well, it was a short lived victory... i am now way too full again.. It was a major holiday and our last night working with our customer.. So, we went out for a celebratory traditional yangzhou dinner..This place is really good. it remains my favorite restaurant in yangzhou.. It is also my hosts favorite restaurant in town.. We went out with some of their friends and family.

Jellyfish salad with bead curd. 

14328681834_a6a20328ff_z.jpg

this makes me know i am in Yangzhou.. This shredded tofu is really the best here.. i have had it in other parts of china but, it is never as tender and fresh as it is here.. i have purchased this type of tofu in the US in plastic bags and it is hard and spongy.. Here it is soft and tender and just amazing.  Yangzhou is famous for this dish and it is a proper accolade. 

14142723909_77c485ea8c_z.jpg

Little shelled shrimp:

14142865127_383eb0cfda_z.jpg

everyone got one of these.. a large head on shrimp in a sweet and sour sauce with little pieces of rice and bits of pork.. Almost like a risotto.

14306248676_9e3398fd78_z.jpg

a gorgeous chicken.

14142761240_560f523f41_z.jpg

yangzhou fried rice:

14142720449_8a40b7fb00_z.jpg

individual lion head meatballs. the broth is so rich and delicious.. the meatball so light and airy

14142718369_8d5ecc5250_z.jpg

favas and local vegetable.. it bleeds red. i have had this from Southern China in Pinghu up to Yangzhou.. it's a good green

14142715988_d23773476e_z.jpg

spicy cauliflower and pork

14306236766_8fd7c096ea_z.jpg

a very whimsical dish.. "mice like rice".. playing on the zongzi, it was little mice made of sticky rice stuffed with his like sugary vanilla egg custard.. 

14327630332_b184fe6957_z.jpg

one of my favorite parts of my trips.. My friend, she is very business..very tough, very sweet. she is the boss of her business and house.. i introduced her to Bob Marley tonight.. She loved him.. At first she was like, who is this ugly guy.. She listened to Trenchtown Rock, No Woman No Cry, Three Little Birds, and Stir it Up..She was like enthralled and mesmerized..  I only wanted her to listen to one song and she kept demanding i show her more songs.. At the end, she was like, I no longer think he is ugly, i think he is beautiful.   I can only assume she will have dreadlocks when i see her in november.. 

ahhh crap. i don't know how to attach a video from flicker but, she is listening to No women no cry for the first time.. She is loving him.. 

Off to Chengdu tomorrow!  So close to home! but the work is over.. Nothing left to do but, smile, smile, smile.  

Edited by basquecook, 02 June 2014 - 09:47 AM.

• Smithy, gfweb, Shelby and 4 others like this

#73 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:28 AM

These posts are wonderful. Thank you very much! The mice-like rice are particularly entrancing.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#74 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

favas and local vegetable.. it bleeds red. i have had this from Southern China in Pinghu up to Yangzhou.. it's a good green

Yes. One of my favourites. It's red amaranth. 苋菜 xiàn cài.

#75 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

These posts are wonderful. Thank you very much! The mice-like rice are particularly entrancing.

thanks.. i really appreciate you following along. 

#76 BeeZee

BeeZee
  • participating member
  • 517 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

I'm really enjoying this also. Very interesting to see the variety of food items, I wouldn't necessarily enjoy eating some of them but I'm enjoying the idea of them!

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

#77 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

This is fantastic!  I'm loving all the pictures and descriptions.  

#78 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:27 AM

thanks guys.. I am in Chengdu for the next few days.. Tonight, i am heading to Yu's Family Kitchen or Restaurant. It's a place that has been on my list for some time now.. Chengdu is better than what I expected.. Such a pretty city.. Today I visited this gorgeous Buddhist Monastery ate a bunch of spicy food and was just able to walk and walk for the first time in a few weeks.. I have been basically immobile sitting at a desk 12 hours a day for close to 3 weeks straight.  So, getting out and about is a freedom i am enjoying.. I even slept a little! 

here is a little something spicy for ya! 

14152048670_7e9a77da13_z.jpg

i plan to finish up the postings when i return to desk life.. 

Thanks for following so far. 

14157005318_79a8993f60_z.jpg

• Smithy, Shelby and patrickamory like this

#79 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 5,942 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:47 AM

Wow. I can almost feel the burn from that! Your dedication to posting all these photos and telling us about this food is impressive. I am very grateful.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#80 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:38 AM

Now I am jealous. Yu's Family Kitchen is probably the best restaurant in China. I haven't been for a long time.

#81 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,271 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:35 AM

many thanks.  enjoy it all, and like the occasional 'establishing' shot of the city/town etc

#82 Willie

Willie
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

WOW!! thank you so much Basquecook for taking me on a great adventure with your dining experiences in china. I'm a fan and will gladly follow you on this forum every chance I get. I even went and read your 2013 thread. Just so you know I don't care if your eating in the hotel restaurant or down an ally out of a food cart. I don't care if your photos are blurry or you have typo's, I have way to much going on to give a rats fanny about that kind of crap. All I care about is what you have to say and share with us. Thanks again and I look forward to your next post.

P.S. Basquecook I know how you feel, I got pulled over by the typo police the very first time I posted on the egullet forum highway. After he told what my violation was he headed back to his cruiser he yelled out that he was just joking!

#83 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

Wow, I just googled Yu's Family Kitchen. Looks incredible!