Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dipping Sauce to go with Southwest Grilled Shrimp?

Condiments

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MAL7DC

MAL7DC
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:45 PM

Hi,

I am making Southwest Grilled Shrimp for Memorial Day tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a good dipping sauce to pair with it? 

The shrimp uses a McCormick Perfect Pinch Southwest Spice, Garlic, Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar, Brown Sugar ect. It is a slightly spicy grilled shrimp that is great! 

I was thinking maybe a Russian Dressing Dipping sauce would be good, but I have never made that before. I would love any suggestions. 

#2 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

Russian dressing with a bit of chipotle powder added. Perhaps with lime?

#3 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

Plain guacamole is the answer: avocado, lime, salt, cilantro, nothing else. Trust me on this. Sorry, Russian dressing a huge mistake.
  • Lisa Shock likes this

#4 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:32 PM

Does it need a sauce at all? I'd just serve the shrimp.

#5 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

Plain guacamole is the answer: avocado, lime, salt, cilantro, nothing else. Trust me on this. Sorry, Russian dressing a huge mistake.

Not so sure about that. Shrimp Lejon is a Chesapeake staple that has a Russian dip.

#6 DTBarton

DTBarton
  • participating member
  • 973 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:35 AM

A little late for Memorial Day.

I make a marinated grilled shrimp recipe quite often.  I finish the hot shrimp with fresh squeezed lime juice and chopped cilantro.  Serve them immediately, they are great when they're hot.

#7 btbyrd

btbyrd
  • participating member
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:58 AM

I'd make a puree of avocado and full fat yogurt plus a bit of lemon or lime juice.

#8 FeChef

FeChef
  • participating member
  • 517 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

Late to the party, but a good dipping sauce for any shrimp is coconut mango pepper sauce. It is mildly spicy but you can always add some cayenne powder if you like more heat. I use this dipping sauce for my coconut panko breaded shrimp.

#9 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

Chipotle Mayo

Pickled Jalapenos plus a splash of their brine

Honey

Whir in a blender...a variant of Tartar

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Condiments