Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

introducing myself

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 somebaudy

somebaudy
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:39 AM

hello, I'm Baudouin, I live in Brussels (where fries really come from, they never were french), most of my week-end projects include cooking. 

There is a store selling cooking equipment to professionals in my neighborhood so I have access to various equipment at a reasonable price.

Any question ? 

• bague25 likes this

#2 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,885 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:48 AM

Indeed - best fries I've ever had!

Do you makes fries yourself?   We would welcome a discussion of the Belgian method of cooking the perfect fries.

#3 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,997 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

We certainly would! What kind of sauce, if any, do you like with them?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#4 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

hello, I'm Baudouin, I live in Brussels (where fries really come from, they never were french), --------- ? 

But you guys did not invent Belgian waffles. :-)

Welcome!

dcarch

#5 bague25

bague25
  • participating member
  • 333 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

Hi Baudouin - from a fellow Bruxelloise :-)

#6 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:02 PM

Hello, Baudouin and welcome to eGullet.  I always look forward to hearing from members outside of the US!

• Smithy likes this

#7 Tomatoman65

Tomatoman65
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:59 AM

Hi Baudouin, I did not know the Belgians invented 'French' fries. Do you love mayonnaise on fries as much as the Dutch do?

I'm a Kiwi living in Bristol UK and wondering if the weather in Brussels can be as bad as it is here where I also spend a lot of time on cooking projects and sourcing reasonably priced commercial equipment from a local catering company that has a clearance warehouse. So far we have picked up 2 commercial 4 kW Bonnet induction hobs, a 30 litre rice cooker that I turned into a sous vide water bath with a Home made PID controller, several bain maries, a commercial citrus juicer, a Santos electronic dosing coffee grinder, commercial Kitchenaid stand mixer, a massive 370mm commercial Avery Berkel meat slicer and a fantastic Elegen Sfera chamber vacuum packer capable of packing 15 litre bags. All good fun in the name of domestic cooking bliss but it is beginning to take over our small apartment!

What have you found so far?