Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Hello from Indiana, USA

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Xorlarrin

Xorlarrin
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:08 PM

Greetings to all.

My name is Devin, I am a ex-prep cook, ex-grill cook, who was sadly disillusioned long ago by the cooking industry after working for restaurant after restaurant where the only new or different things they were willing to try, were ways to lower the cost at the expense of quality and taste. I am sure many of you have been there.

So now I am just a foodie who cooks and experiments to his hearts content in his own kitchen.

Edited by Xorlarrin, 24 May 2014 - 08:09 PM.

• gfweb likes this

#2 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

Hi Devin.  Welcome to eG.

Yep, the dumbing down of food/restaurants is a sore point.  Unfortunately, I guess all businesses have to obey the laws of economics.  Some just seem to manage it better than others.

You'll have fun here.  Heaps of experimenting foodies (although you may find some - myself not included - cringe a little at that term!).

Dive in and enjoy the community.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#3 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

Welcome Devin - moved to my current location from Indy 11 years ago - miss those tenderloin sandwiches.  There are restaurants out there that are more artist than money.  Hard to find but they exist...especially when you open it yourself ;)

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#4 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

Hi, Devin and welcome.  My husband, daughter and I lived in Batesville IN for a couple of years in the late 80's/early 90's.  I, too, miss tenderloin sandwiches.  Also the pie tables at community meals.  And sublime fried chicken.  A friend who is originally from Alabama but now lives in Indianapolis calls Indiana the northern most southern state in the US!