Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dolmalik Kuru Patlican (Dried eggplant)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CeeCee

CeeCee
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:13 AM

After feasting on dolma's made by others, I have now gotten some bags of dolmalik kuru patlican (Miras brand) to try and make it myself.
For dolma's it's standard procedure to soak the dried eggplants. But since I'm looking into making another dish with this ingredient, I'm wondering if this is necessary in the same way like you soak Mexican dried peppers?

Is there some bitterness to be expected and should I throw out the soaking water? Has anyone got any experience stewing the dried eggplant in a sauce without soaking for instance?

#2 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:48 AM

I would assume that if for dolma it's standard to soak the dried patlıcan, for other dishes it would be too - after all, making dolma is quite a moist cooking method, and if soaking is necessary for that, I'm sure it is for any other applications. 

I don't know if the soaking liquid will be bitter - I might suggest soaking one in cup or something as an experiment and seeing how the water turns out.