Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The demise of the McD's 1 Euro Cheeseburger In Germany

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 IndyRob

IndyRob
  • participating member
  • 837 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

http://qz.com/211907...eseburger-away/

So it appears the frugal Germans aren't happy with the removal of the cheeseburger from the 1 Euro menu.  Yet, it hasn't been long since the McDouble (a double cheeseburger) was moved off the American $1 menu.  Given the fact that 1 euro is about $1.37 (about the same as said McDouble in the U.S. today), are European prices that different?  Labor costs mainly?

Sort of unrelated, but interesting, is the quote from Doug Goare, president of the company's European division...

“The German consumer tends to be very frugal,” Goare told analysts in the May 16 meeting. “And I would say they don’t have the same appetite for great-tasting food—I’ll get in trouble saying this—that the French have, okay? Food is a staple. And so there is a tremendous attention to value for the money.”

Wait, did he just diss his own product and an entire nation of customers?

#2 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 790 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

Yes and Yes. But perhaps the Germans do not agree that McDonald's offers "great tasting food" and have voted with their wallets. Which, of course, is every consumer's right.

#3 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:27 AM

Yes and Yes. But perhaps the Germans do not agree that McDonald's offers "great tasting food" and have voted with their wallets. Which, of course, is every consumer's right.

McD's = Great Tasting Food?  I don't think so.  What McD's has done is reduce taste and quality to the lowest common denominator, and over time, the greater public has come to accept the food as the norm, or average.  Paraphrasing Mencken, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."  The Germans may have a higher standard ...

Edited by Shel_B, 23 May 2014 - 08:28 AM.

.... Shel

#4 Duvel

Duvel
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

I think the german mindset will favor rather larger burgers on offer, offering more substance for a comparably smaller invest. I am thinking Big Tasty Bacon in a Maxi Menu. But then again, it could be only me ....