Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

2 Days in New Orleans

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LPShanet

LPShanet
  • participating member
  • 717 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

I'll be in New Orleans for a wedding, and am a first time visitor. I've been wanting to go for years, but only have two free days before wedding events start.  So assuming I only have two lunches and two dinners (plus possibly one more of each in various windows), what are the can't-miss places these days.  Price is no object, so I'm not looking for bargains, just the quintessential NO experience at any price point.  Please include classics (Commander's, etc.) as well as anything that's at the top of its game right now (Peche?).  Also appreciated are additional experiences worth having (breakfasts, po boys, treats, etc.)  

Also, I haven't seen as much talk about cocktails and booze on this thread, so please provide suggestions on the best places for cocktails, both classic and newfangled.  Can't go to NO without getting my Sazerac/hurricane/other on!  Thanks!

#2 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

We last went in 2010, so my information is a little out of date, but here's my trip report: http://forums.egulle...p/#entry1738628

Have a wonderful time and don't forget to take pictures and notes and give us a report when you return!

#3 EMichels

EMichels
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:45 AM

I had an excellent dinner at Herbsaint a couple of months ago. The chef, Donald Link, seems to be very of the moment and has several restaurants in town. It was only the second time that I have left a restaurant and immediately searched to find out whether he had a cookbook available with recipes for any of the dishes I had tried. I visited another of his spots, Cochon Butcher, the next day for lunch. While good, I wouldn't recommend it based on the length of the line to get in.

I also had dinner at GW Fins, which receives relatively strong reviews as one of the old guard in the city. While the biscuits served in place of bread were tasty, the rest of the dinner was a real miss. It felt and tasted more like a hotel dining room. Nothing really objectionable but equally nothing interesting or taking any chances.

#4 LPShanet

LPShanet
  • participating member
  • 717 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

Thank you both so much.

#5 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

"...just the quintessential NO experience..."

Aren't you going to do a bar crawl along Bourbon Street** and roam around the Quarter and Rue Royale?  (Galatoire's too, of course - maybe earlier in the day. :-) )  Remember you can lurch from bar to bar along the street with open drinks in hand :-) and maybe catch a few hours of sleep at daybreak before you change into your wedding duds. 

**p.s. There is actually quite a bit more around the FQ in terms of history than just alcohol availability and adult entertainment and food. ;-)