Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Report: eG Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
134 replies to this topic

#121 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,553 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

The thinning is done with a regular PDF not necessary for the pectin NH version.

#122 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

The thinning is done with a regular PDF not necessary for the pectin NH version.

Yep, got that. It's the thinning of a regular PDF with fruit puree to make it pipeable that caught my attention. I like the idea that, if you're going to thin it for piping, might as well add some additional flavor and freshness by using fruit puree.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#123 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 554 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

My notes say that Jean Marie expects 90 day (60 day guarantee) shelf life @ 0.62 aW and that 0.72 - 0.75 aW = maybe 5 weeks life.  What was that one ganache Melissa made, 0.96, I think?, and he said "Eat it within one day".

In the class I took recently in Chicago with Chef Mattieu Barriqualt, a table was included which indicated the expected shelf life of a ganache or other center within a range of Aw.  I've reproduced the table below for reference.  Chef Barriqualt has been consulting with a company for quite a while in crafting products with a shelf life of nearly a year.  During the class, he related some of the things they were doing to achieve an Aw < 0.65 and while it was technically interesting, I'm not sure that any of us would or possibly even could achieve this mark.

Aw                  Shelf Life Expected

===============================

> 0.90                     < 3 weeks

0.85 < Aw < 0.90         3 – 6 weeks

0.75 < Aw < 0.85      6 – 12 weeks (3 months)
0.65 < Aw < 0.75      3 – 6 months

< 0.65                  > 6 months

As I was reworking one of my own very simple ganaches (2:1 74% chocolate), I was able to get it under to 0.84 from a previous 0.87 with small substituions of sugars (replacing some glucose with invert & sorbitol) and reducing the amount of chocolate by a few grams.

Happy formulating!

Edited by lebowits, 27 May 2014 - 11:37 AM.

• DianaM and Prabha like this
Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things
Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

#124 Jim D.

Jim D.
  • society donor
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

In the class I took recently in Chicago with Chef Mattieu Barriqualt, a table was included which indicated the expected shelf life of a ganache or other center within a range of Aw.  I've reproduced the table below for reference. 

Thanks for that helpful chart and the insights.  Do you have one of those meters to test Aw?

I understand the impact of substituting invert sugar and sorbitol for glucose, but I'm not clear why reducing the chocolate would help.  Can you explain?  Thanks.

#125 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 554 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for that helpful chart and the insights.  Do you have one of those meters to test Aw?

I understand the impact of substituting invert sugar and sorbitol for glucose, but I'm not clear why reducing the chocolate would help.  Can you explain?  Thanks.In

I don't have an Aw meter.  They seem to be rather pricey.  Chef had one in the class but it needed to go back to the manufacturer for re-calibration.

Reducing the chocolate didn't necessarily help with the Aw.  One of the things I was trying to do was to create a slightly softer and smoother ganache.  Removing a bit of the chocolate took out a small amount of sugar, but more importantly, reduced the amount of dry matter with respect to the amount of liquid.  This in a very small way, helped give me a softer product.

Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

#126 lambrecht gourmet

lambrecht gourmet
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

Melissa kindly sent me the recipe for Gianduja Delice. 

It is in French so I'll translate what I can.

Processus                    (g)                     Ingredients               %

Caramel 170                390                    sucrose                   19,69

100                     sorbitol powder        5,05

70                      glucose atomise      3,53

130                    water                        5,56

395                    noisette                    19,94

345                    pate de noisette        17,42

500                    milk choc couverture  25,25

50                       cocoa butter             2,52

produces: 1980 g               sugar: 39,38 %      Between 40 &50%

sweetening index: 0,34%   cocoa butter: 41,04 minimum 32%

AW: 0,6152                        fat matter: 24,11     minimum  20%

EST: 92,53     between 95 & 100%

Est translates as "is", so not really sure what it means.

This is how it was sent to me so good luck. 

• DianaM likes this

#127 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 554 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:15 AM

Melissa kindly sent me the recipe for Gianduja Delice. 

It is in French so I'll translate what I can.

Processus                    (g)                     Ingredients               %

Caramel 170                390                    sucrose                   19,69

100                     sorbitol powder        5,05

70                      glucose atomise      3,53

130                    water                        5,56

395                    noisette                    19,94

345                    pate de noisette        17,42

500                    milk choc couverture  25,25

50                       cocoa butter             2,52

produces: 1980 g               sugar: 39,38 %      Between 40 &50%

sweetening index: 0,34%   cocoa butter: 41,04 minimum 32%

AW: 0,6152                        fat matter: 24,11     minimum  20%

EST: 92,53     between 95 & 100%

Est translates as "is", so not really sure what it means.

This is how it was sent to me so good luck. 

What are "noisette" and "pate de noisette"?

Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things

#128 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:26 AM

Noisette is just hazelnut

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#129 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

And pate de noisette is Hazelnut Paste.

#130 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 554 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

And pate de noisette is Hazelnut Paste.

That was my suspicion, but wanted to be sure.

Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things

#131 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

pano.jpg

A few more photos from the workshop. A pano of the group.

at door.jpg

David S. Bob, Lionel, Sarah, Donna. Arriving for first day.

jmahd.jpg

Jean Marie stopped by on Sunday in his Harley outfit.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

#132 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:12 PM

I don't know if you people know this, but I found it while researching (www.novosina.ch):

Typical Chocolate Values 

Raw Materials and semi-products: 

Type Typical aw-values 
Cream 0.99-1.00 aw 
Butter 0.95-0.98 aw 
Glucose 0.70-0.72 aw 
Sorbitol Powder approx. 0.30 aw 
Couverture 0.30 aw 
Milk Powder 0.20-0.25 aw 
Fruits, nuts and other fillings typically have an aw-value of 0.40-0.90aw 

Fillings: 

Type Typical aw-values 
Fat-based fillings as Gianduja 
or chocolate truffle fillings 0.20-0.35 aw 
Caramel 0.65-0.70 aw 
Almond paste (marzipan) 0.73-0.80 aw 
Couverture 0.30 aw 

Chocolate without filling: 0.4-0.5 aw

• curls and keychris like this

#133 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:32 PM

I don't know if you people know this, but I found it while researching (www.novosina.ch):

Typical Chocolate Values 

Raw Materials and semi-products: 

Type Typical aw-values 
Cream 0.99-1.00 aw 
Butter 0.95-0.98 aw 
Glucose 0.70-0.72 aw 
Couverture 0.30 aw 
Milk Powder 0.20-0.25 aw 
Fruits, nuts and other fillings typically have an aw-value of 0.40-0.90aw 

Fillings: 

Type Typical aw-values 
Fat-based fillings as Gianduja 
or chocolate truffle fillings 0.20-0.35 aw 
Caramel 0.65-0.70 aw 
Almond paste (marzipan) 0.73-0.80 aw 
Couverture 0.30 aw 

Chocolate without filling: 0.4-0.5 aw

Ilana, this is awesome!  Thank you so much for posting it.  

It seems like such a long time since we've connected.  I hope you are well and still loving making chocolates :)

• Lior likes this

#134 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:14 AM

thank you, Lana!! Yes, I have not been around for too long. Been a bit up and down round here and I am now trying to get back into chocolates. Hope you are well and all into chocolates!! xx

#135 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

Host's note: a series of discussions about how to get molds for chocolate clean that began here has been moved to Lior's new topic, "Cleaning Molds for Chocolate", which can be found here: http://forums.egulle...-for-chocolate/. This was done to allow the problem and solution to be discussed in one location after this excellent report has faded into the background.
  • Lior likes this

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Report