Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

e-cookbooks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bethesdabakers

bethesdabakers
  • participating member
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:06 AM

This is sort of a parallel topic to “How Do You Feel About Buying and Using E-Cookbooks?”

I’ve written and self-published three books on sourdough bread and microbakery. I do pretty much everything, the bread formulas, the writing, the photographs, the layout. I have them printed to a high standard in small batches of 50-100 and I promote and sell them through my blog thepartisanbaker.

I’m thinking about the future. The books sell steadily enough but I’m probably only covering my costs – that’s OK. Not having (or wanting) a television series I’ve pretty much given up on a publishing deal – like commercial yeast I’ve decided publishers are a distraction and surplus to requirements.

I’ve now reached the stage where I’m selling almost as many pdf versions as hardcopy and I’m thinking of abandoning print and producing only electronic books. Again I’m only interested in selling direct and not going down the Kindle/Kobo route.

Is anyone out there able to offer suggestions about software suitable for cook books, in particular software that would allow the inclusion of interactive spreadsheet tables. What I want to do is present bread formulas in tables that allow the user to change dough weights and quantities.

Thanks for any suggestions – hope this is in the right forum.

Mick Hartley
The PArtisan Baker
bethesdabakers
"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)

#2 catdaddy

catdaddy
  • participating member
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:47 AM

Although I have no knowledge of the software you seek I think your idea is a good one. Interactive spreadsheets in a cookbook would be most useful. I would buy that book.

#3 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,105 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

Have you considered coding them up essentially as local web pages? You could easily package along some Javascript calculation routines to handle your tables, and with a bit of CSS magic you can make the books adapt to different screen sizes (relatively) easily. This might be a bit too "roll-your-own," but HTML5 gives you some pretty powerful tools to work with, and you wouldn't be tied to any particular device.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#4 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

I think he wants to sell them.

#5 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,105 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

Coding them in HTML doesn't preclude that.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#6 bethesdabakers

bethesdabakers
  • participating member
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for your replies but they illustrate my problem - lack of technical and programming skills.

When ebooks first started coming available I thought their real use would be for reference books because of the search effectiveness of databases. So I thought things like cook books would be amongst the first to benefit. But if you take a service like Kindle, there's a very uneven spread of titles that get released in this form and there's no standard presentation or search facility. That's without the swamp of low-grade titles that gum up searches by browsing. But that's a side issue.

I just wondered if any of you technically smart foodies out there knew of a simple software package suitable for producing ebooks that is particularly suited to e-cook books (even better if they would take interactive spreadsheets). Or even an example of a well-produced e-cook book.

Thanks

Mick

Mick Hartley
The PArtisan Baker
bethesdabakers
"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)