Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Best Lamb Moussaka suppliers in London

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Léo

Léo
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:35 AM

Some cravings for Lamb Moussaka, any recommendations of the best supplier in London?

Edited by Léo, 09 May 2014 - 04:37 AM.

#2 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:08 AM

I have heard/read good opinions of Yalla Yalla, Peckham Bazaar (menu changes), Andy's Taverna, Vrisaki, Konaki for restaurants, or you could try Phoenica Mediterranean Food Hall or Green Valley for takeaway.

#3 Jennifer02

Jennifer02
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:19 AM

For restaurants, I would recommend Konaki too but if you want to enjoy it at home, you'd better order at Delices & Gourmandises, or Donald Russell, they both have good reputation for quality mail order.

#4 Léo

Léo
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:57 AM

I've been hearing good remarks about Yalla Yalla but it is always busy people said. is it really the case?  My daughter and her husband will be back from New York next saturday, we use to go to the restaurant once they come in the Uk,maybe we will give a first try at Konaki. I didn't expect there are companies who are still working on mail order, my wife was addicted to this kind of process at her time unfortunately she is not there.I'd be grateful if you can remember me the process Jennifer.

#5 Jennifer02

Jennifer02
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:37 AM

It depends on the company you are going to order the items you want Leo, each of them has their own process. As far as  Delices & Gourmandises is concerned, you send the order by mail and 2 days after you will receive the products whereas at Donald Russell , you can order the items online, by post or by phone, it's up to you. I think, you'd better visit their website.

#6 Léo

Léo
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:32 AM

Thanks a lot Jennifer! Do you know where I can find more information about it ? I would appreciate if it is in English, I am not good at translation.

#7 Jennifer02

Jennifer02
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:56 AM

Sorry Leo, I should have put the one in English  http://delicesandgou....wordpress.com/

#8 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

Especially as you are in London, go with Donald Russell, which is local, and has a solid reputation. In addition to being based in Belgium (think shipping costs), Delices & Gourmandises has a history of some rather troubling accusations.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#9 Léo

Léo
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:36 AM

I can also prepare it instead of ordering food from unknown brand, thanks a lot Jennifer. Anyway, I found interesting recipes on Delices Gourmandises blog,  this one for example http://delicesandgou...carne-18983262/ I love that spicy dish.

I was looking for Lamb Moussaka recipe but didn't find any. I should have prepare it myself, don't you think Mjx?

#10 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:25 PM

I can also prepare it instead of ordering food from unknown brand, thanks a lot Jennifer. Anyway, I found interesting recipes on Delices Gourmandises blog,  this one for example http://delicesandgou...carne-18983262/ I love that spicy dish.

I was looking for Lamb Moussaka recipe but didn't find any. I should have prepare it myself, don't you think Mjx?

Making the moussaka yourself would guarantee that it is fresh and of the quality you want, but your question in the OP, 'any recommendations of the best supplier in London?', suggested that you were looking for it ready-made. . . don't you think, Léo? ;)

If you make that recipe, do report on the results. I find the amount of ground hot chili recommended quite interesting.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org