Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#241 c oliver

c oliver
  • participating member
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

I"m confused... that looks almost exactly like the packaging of my Anova One, but with a slightly different cutout in the foam.

Mine also.

#242 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

Mine also.

Someone explain to me why this is confusing. ANOVA found a packaging system that worked and continues to use something very similar. There is a very large weight difference between the two packages with the new one being much much lighter due to the composition of the foam. I simply cannot understand the confusion.
  • SleeperService likes this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#243 SleeperService

SleeperService
  • participating member
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:46 PM

Someone explain to me why this is confusing. ANOVA found a packaging system that worked and continues to use something very similar. There is a very large weight difference between the two packages with the new one being much much lighter due to the composition of the foam. I simply cannot understand the confusion.

yeah, makes perfect sense to me. "well, we've got all these boxes already made up, and we need something to ship the new unit in... oh, look, it fits perfectly, almost like we designed it that way to save costs" SHIP IT! *lol*

#244 weedy

weedy
  • participating member
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

I rather like the fact that I can remove the cord on my Anova 1.

Kerry, should I feel cheated that my Anova 1 doesn't gurgle?

Me too. Both counts.

Fwiw all I meant by my 'confusion' with the packaging was that I didn't see why the packaging of the 2 was noteworthy, suddenly, when it's essentially the same as the 1

#245 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

Me too. Both counts.
Fwiw all I meant by my 'confusion' with the packaging was that I didn't see why the packaging of the 2 was noteworthy, suddenly, when it's essentially the same as the 1

Me too. Both counts.

All righty. Now I understand. Thank you.

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#246 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:53 AM

image.jpg

This is where I always hoped Sous Vide would go! Just an ordinary pan pulled from my batterie de cuisine. No Cambro containers, no coolers just a very ordinary looking saucepan that is always at hand. And the other interesting feature of the new ANOVA is that there is no need to remove the skirt to reposition the impeller. Simply turn the unit around in the collar of its mounting bracket. I am a happy camper!
  • Smithy, rotuts, DiggingDogFarm and 1 other like this

My 2004 eG Blog

#247 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

This is where I always hoped Sous Vide would go! Just an ordinary pan pulled from my batterie de cuisine. No Cambro containers, no coolers just a very ordinary looking saucepan that is always at hand. And the other interesting feature of the new ANOVA is that there is no need to remove the skirt to reposition the impeller. Simply turn the unit around in the collar of its mounting bracket. I am a happy camper!

Anna, maybe I am missing something but I use the Anova 1 with my ordinary pot sitting by the stove.  I've never had to remove or adjust the skirt of my Anova.  Why is the new Anova different for you?

#248 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:04 AM

Anna, maybe I am missing something but I use the Anova 1 with my ordinary pot sitting by the stove.  I've never had to remove or adjust the skirt of my Anova.  Why is the new Anova different for you?

Not even my deepest "lobster" pot could accommodate the Anova 1. As I recall it needs a minimum container depth of 8 inches. Doesn't sound like much but was deeper than any of my saucepans.

If one is cooking something delicate, lets say like eggs in their shell, then to have the direction of the stream of water contollable can be important. To change that direction with the Anova 1 means removing the skirt. You can contol the direction of the flow in the new machine by simply turning it in the collar in the mounting bracket.

My 2004 eG Blog

#249 SleeperService

SleeperService
  • participating member
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

To change that direction with the Anova 1 means removing the skirt. You can contol the direction of the flow in the new machine by simply turning it in the collar in the mounting bracket.

that is incorrect, all you do is turn the cap on the bottom, it's designed that way.

I believe this is in the manual.

#250 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

that is incorrect, all you do is turn the cap on the bottom, it's designed that way.

I believe this is in the manual.

Yes, I believe I am mistaken. I have never attempted to do it myself so this information was given to me by another user of the Anova 1. I should have checked my facts. Thank you for correcting my error.

My 2004 eG Blog

#251 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:52 PM

Not even my deepest "lobster" pot could accommodate the Anova 1. As I recall it needs a minimum container depth of 8 inches. Doesn't sound like much but was deeper than any of my saucepans.

If one is cooking something delicate, lets say like eggs in their shell, then to have the direction of the stream of water contollable can be important. To change that direction with the Anova 1 means removing the skirt. You can contol the direction of the flow in the new machine by simply turning it in the collar in the mounting bracket.

The pot I use with the Anova 1 is 8 1/2 inches, I just remeasured.  It is low quality Italian stainless (more or less) steel, but if I recall the price was only about $30.  However that was about 35 years ago.  This is the pot I use for pasta and for boiling/blanching vegetables.  It is the most used pot in my kitchen.  I almost never wash it.  Maybe someday soon I can use it for my mai tais.

• Kerry Beal likes this

#252 Anova Jeff

Anova Jeff
  • society donor
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:20 PM

-a way to sync with via bluetooth with a computer that could text you when you're not home (I know this would be complicated ... but I don't need remote contact if I'm at home with the circulator).

-alerts in case of wide temperature fluctuations or power interruptions

-ability to program multistage cooking ... like a precook at low temperature for increasing tenderness, followed by the final cook at higher temperature

-ability to set an on-timer, so it can start heating the water a half hour before i plan to get home

1) We'll have a solution for this later

2) interrupt detection being worked on

3) multi-step is in the control protocol set for developers already

4) we are having an internal debate right now to include it or not.  This feature might probably get misused and lead to food safety problems. 

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

BBQ Fanatic, Organic Gardener, Organic Grape Grower

#253 Anova Jeff

Anova Jeff
  • society donor
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

any Idea on how the Hacker Special might differ from the final product ?

did they ask for a review ? improvements ?

Some changes are being made - including a number of programmatic additions.  That's why the android dev test program is not released yet. 

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

#254 Anova Jeff

Anova Jeff
  • society donor
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

I"m confused... that looks almost exactly like the packaging of my Anova One, but with a slightly different cutout in the foam.

That's not the final packaging....We are going for something more ostentatious this time. 

Jeff

• Adam George likes this

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

#255 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:58 PM

But Jeff, what about the purple gloves?

My Anova 1 would be about perfect if only there was a way to circulate without heat.  One thing you can work on:  my Zojiroshi rice cooker can suffer a ten minute (as I recall) power interruption and recover without harming the quality of the rice.  Why can't you do that with the Anova?

I was pleased and surprised that the Anova and the Zojiroshi could run at the same time, from the same outlet, without tripping the breaker.

#256 SleeperService

SleeperService
  • participating member
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

But Jeff, what about the purple gloves?

My Anova 1 would be about perfect if only there was a way to circulate without heat. 

what color gloves would you *prefer* he wear?

and, have you ever tried setting the temp on the anova1 to something less than room temp? mine goes down to 32f.

#257 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

what color gloves would you *prefer* he wear?

and, have you ever tried setting the temp on the anova1 to something less than room temp? mine goes down to 32f.

Ask Leslie.

As does mine.  Why can't one just turn the heating off?

#258 SleeperService

SleeperService
  • participating member
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

Ask Leslie.

As does mine.  Why can't one just turn the heating off?

so, setting the temp low enough that the heating doesn't come on is not good enough? or am I missing something here?

#259 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:01 PM

In an ice bath it would just be on the border.

#260 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:40 AM

The precision cooker pro was meant to ship in late August. Does anyone have one yet?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist