Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

#61 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for clarifying that.  So, some people are getting their knickers in a bunch over a product that doesn't yet exist. Anova, it seems, is selling blue sky.  Although it's clear that they do have a good reputation, there's only a promise of the MKII (I know about the MKI). It's possible that the described features and specs may change once production has started, yes?

With Kickstarter, you don't pay unless the project is successful

#62 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for clarifying that.  So, some people are getting their knickers in a bunch over a product that doesn't yet exist. Anova, it seems, is selling blue sky.  Although it's clear that they do have a good reputation, there's only a promise of the MKII (I know about the MKI). It's possible that the described features and specs may change once production has started, yes?

Think of it like investing in shares.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#63 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:33 AM

With Kickstarter, you don't pay unless the project is successful

So, are you just pledging funds?  Or do the people who ordered the product send money to Anova or to an escrow account?  How does Anova physically get the money to continue working on and to produce the product?  They need the money in hand to pay staff, buy equipment and supplies, etc., don't they?

.... Shel

#64 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

you pay.  you might get a product  ( at some point )

Amazon wets it's beak.

Anova probably gets is money at the end of the pledge period.  after Amazon etc

Google, sometimes helpful suggests:

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Kickstarter

Edited by rotuts, 07 May 2014 - 09:51 AM.

#65 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

If one does that, think of these words found on just about every prospectus I've ever read: past performance does not necessarily predict future results.  Stocks are always a gamble.

Exactly.  That's what I mean.

You invest [pledge] an amount to support the project.

As a thank you, if all goes well, you receive a reward depending on the amount pledged; the return on your investment.

• Shel_B likes this

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#66 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:10 AM

Exactly.  That's what I mean.

You invest [pledge] an amount to support the project.

As a thank you, if all goes well, you receive a reward depending on the amount pledged; the return on your investment.

Thanks.  Between you and Leslie, I now have a much clearer understanding of the process.

.... Shel

#67 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

It sounds like yes, and the smartphone connectivity is just for extra convenience.

#68 pmilas

pmilas
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

If the unit is as good as the fisrt model, it more than worth the money (especialy if you get it for 99$ :P )
The thing that closed the deal for me is free shipping wordwide, because i went trough hell and back to get it here in Croatia (anova does not ship to Croatia)
  • Mmmpomps and DiggingDogFarm like this

#69 Docrjm

Docrjm
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:42 PM

Shipping to Canada is normally about $80. So getting in at $129 means I'm getting the device for basically 50. Missed the opportunity to order two, even though already have a polyscience and anova v1. I like the idea of connectivity. It's a big throw down to polyscience.

#70 hattermad

hattermad
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:25 AM

Almost $700k backed now...

I guess I was fortunate being on European time. When I got the email from Anova (which I'm assuming anyone who has bought one would get), there were founder units available.

#71 SleeperService

SleeperService
  • participating member
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

new twofers added to kickstarter, 115$ each for two, going fast.

#72 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:32 PM

Just changed my pledge to the $229 offer.

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#73 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

would the first on still be 'prototype' thus  +/- 'guaranteed ?'

sorry, should have looked:  that's different than the 'hacker' special

second would make a nice present !

Edited by rotuts, 08 May 2014 - 06:14 PM.

#74 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:16 PM

Even if you're not planning on getting two, I suggest checking the kickstarter page often anyway. There are people who are switching from lower tier pledges to the $229 level. When I checked, there was a $135 and a $145 tier slot open.

PS: I am a guy.

#75 EMG

EMG
  • participating member
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

I'm real glad they added the 2-pack pledges! I just pledged $230. That's $115 per unit, pretty darn good IMO!

#76 pmilas

pmilas
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:40 AM

For those who did not order the unit, here is the email we got from Anova with some information about the unit

2. What devices will the Precision Cooker work with? We’re going to deliver an SDK that will allow developers to develop apps for both Android and iOS devices.

We’re primarily going to rely on our developer community to develop apps for the Precision Cooker, but we’re also working on a basic app that will be available for both Android and iOS devices.

6. Will the precision cooker work in Australia and the UK? Yes. We’re providing full support for 220V and 240V units. International Units will be compatible 220V-240V.

8. Does the unit have a warranty? Yes! The Precision Cooker will have a one-year parts and labor warranty. If there is a problem with the unit, we will cover parts and labor, and will return shipment. Please note, however, the Hacker Special beta units do not come with a warranty.

Other questions are mostly about shipping so i did not include them

What interests me the most is: did they change the "hardware" a lot. Because the previous unit was great in performacne. I hope the lower retail price is just because of the plastic casing and no touch screen, the rest was great just the way it was...

Edited by pmilas, 09 May 2014 - 12:42 AM.

#77 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:20 AM

What interests me the most is: did they change the "hardware" a lot. Because the previous unit was great in performacne. I hope the lower retail price is just because of the plastic casing and no touch screen, the rest was great just the way it was...

Also, an 800W heater instead of a 1000W from the v1 apparently. From the looks of the picture, they didn't fix the flawed impeller design which, from even the slightest bending of the stem, would cause the impeller to hit the housing and cause a loud rattling.

#78 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,996 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:28 AM

Try to grab the lower levels if they open up - some of the new levels don't include free shipping outside the states.

#79 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:48 AM

one thing about Anova, they seem to pay attention and are think a bit outside the box

the 2 for 229 is an example.   a few here were disappointed not getting in on the 99 $$

they could hardly add more of those as people were jumping in on each slightly higher price would have been even more

P.O.'d

so Kudos there way.  who's perfect, except Us ?

the second would make a nice gift to someone on the Fence.

Christmas ?  Channuka ?  etc  

a spare or a second Bath for Veg ?

like the name  Precision Cooking too.

an extra Kudos there  Anova !

#80 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:19 AM

PS:

you can get 2 for 229, 2 for 239 or 2 for 249

as far as i can see these are identical offers.

sooooo ......   those picking 239 or 249  ( there are a few ) over 229  ( plenty of slots left ) are 

..............   ??

#81 SleeperService

SleeperService
  • participating member
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:37 AM

sooooo ......   those picking 239 or 249  ( there are a few ) over 229  ( plenty of slots left ) are 

..............   ??

generous? ;)

#82 SleeperService

SleeperService
  • participating member
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

from even the slightest bending of the stem, would cause the impeller to hit the housing and cause a loud rattling.

how'd you manage to bend the impeller shaft? the ones on mine are mighty sturdy. 

the only times I've had a rattling was when I'd turned it off for a few minutes, then turned it back on, and I think thermal issues were at play, that only happened a couple times.

#83 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:38 AM

if you already have not noticed, they from time to time add info on the K. page:

https://www.kickstar...de-with-your-ip

#84 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

Regarding the phone connectivity ... has anybody picked up if it's two-way? Specifically, while it's cooking is it reporting to the phone what the actual water temp is?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#85 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

how'd you manage to bend the impeller shaft? the ones on mine are mighty sturdy. 

the only times I've had a rattling was when I'd turned it off for a few minutes, then turned it back on, and I think thermal issues were at play, that only happened a couple times.

The stem is sturdy, but there's play in the stainless steel skirt (at least in mine)..it'll rub and rattle if the skirt is skewed a bit.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm, 09 May 2014 - 05:33 PM.

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#86 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

Sure, but there's maybe 3mm of play over a 10cm shaft, meaning a bending of less than 2 degrees is enough to damage it.

#87 SleeperService

SleeperService
  • participating member
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

Sure, but there's maybe 3mm of play over a 10cm shaft, meaning a bending of less than 2 degrees is enough to damage it.

that's a hell of a lot of play, mine don't wobble at all, have you dropped yours without the shroud?

#88 Lbakermathews

Lbakermathews
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:40 AM

I just bought 2, I hope I didn't make a mistake, I have been trying to decide between this and the polyscience, this is 3 times less expensive than the polyscience, which is great, but I hope that doesn't mean the quality isn't as good. Has anyone compared the $400 polyscience to one of these? Is there a difference in quality? I have a Vitamix and an oyster blender, the oyster is great, but it doesn't purée like a Vitamix, can a similar comparison be made here with the anova and the $400 polyscience? Thanks in advance, I'm new to this, and have been wanting a sous vide machine for 2 years now. In MCAH they recommend the polyscience and the sous vide supreme. The supreme is non circulating, so I don't want to buy something that doesn't evenly circulate the water, the only option left was the ps. I can't afford to spend $800 on the professional level one, but I can afford $400 for the semi professional one. I read a review on amazon that the $400 ps started a fire in someones home. I have a baby that review scared me enough to research other circulators and I stumbled upon some great reviews for anova. I came here and found this and I'm so grateful I did, just would like to hear from someone who has had the honor of working with both the ps and anova

#89 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,201 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:10 AM

When Modernist Cuisine at Home was released those two were the only game in town: since then the market has expanded greatly. I've got the original Anova and it works perfectly: there's a limit to how well you can heat up and stir water, after all! If you haven't already done so, I recommend reading the We Test the Anova, Sansaire, and Nomiku Sous-Vide Circulators at Serious Eats to give you an idea of how all these devices differ from one another. I think the big wildcard with this new one is how well the Bluetooth works and how buggy the software turns out to be.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#90 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

When Modernist Cuisine at Home was released those two were the only game in town: since then the market has expanded greatly. I've got the original Anova and it works perfectly: there's a limit to how well you can heat up and stir water, after all! If you haven't already done so, I recommend reading the We Test the Anova, Sansaire, and Nomiku Sous-Vide Circulators at Serious Eats to give you an idea of how all these devices differ from one another. I think the big wildcard with this new one is how well the Bluetooth works and how buggy the software turns out to be.

Didn't Anna N also do a comparison in one of the discussions here on eG?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist