Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#31 Tjex

Tjex
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:23 AM

Got in at $135, not too bad! Would have preferred the $99 though  :wink:

#32 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:53 AM

I also go an email from them this morning.....

ZkgC51W.png

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#33 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:58 AM

Wow.  I didn't get an email   :hmmm:  :blink:  :huh:

wait some more  :  I was not, until now, a Customer !

but I know Im Pretty Special

the other EPSS is a lot less interesting.

#34 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

My goodness...this isn't a new Jarvik Heart we're talking about here...calm down!  :smile:

I got the email at ~10:00 AM.

Tue, May 6, 2014 at 9:39 AM to be exact.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm, 06 May 2014 - 12:10 PM.

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#35 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:14 PM

Ive always found Time Zones a bit difficult.  and here we are now !

let them know how to improve their business.  

smile a bit more.  tomorrow is another day.  might be a bit worse.  just saying.

#36 Tjex

Tjex
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:16 PM

Well said!

I was one of the initial buyers of v1. I bought the Anova for $300 and it dropped to $200 a few weeks later. They were nice enough to send me the difference. For the extra $36 that I just paid on the Anova v2, I'm not terribly upset. Would it have been nicer to get it for $99, 100% yes, but $135 is still a great deal. 

Perhaps for v3, they can manage the launch a little better and give us a small heads up.

Can't wait till October, I really hope someone will use the SDK to develop a sousvide dash type of app for Android.... one can dream!  :raz:

#37 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

you could move up to the iPhone.  or down.

i dont have one

yet.  

:biggrin:

in Oct Ill have a Big Problem.

I can see Google driving around with one of those Vacuum Cars, sucking all the Juice out of the Ether, and ruining my 

dinner. I cant stand Beef  ( its what's for dinner, after all ) at 132.5

Edited by rotuts, 06 May 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#38 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

Im not trying to 'beet a dead horse' here, but ....

has Anova added higher priced entry points, but still less than the projected 169 ?

it seems there are 159 slots ( 2 ) that are unlimited.  buy now save 10 bucks ?

do they just want some funds sooner than later ?

I can see a company w limited funds using this method to develop seed money, like perhaps like Nomiku

but an established company like Anova surely does not need this $$

are they siimply getting an interest free loan for product they will surely ship ?

many thanks

#39 canugghead

canugghead
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

save on shipping too.

#40 Anova Jeff

Anova Jeff
  • society donor
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

Hi Guys,

I appreciate everyone's support on this project.  Anyways we didn't expect 1K units @ $99 would be backed so quickly - thought it would take at least a 2-3 days to get through a thousand. 

Currently there are more funding levels being added in to create more time for you guys to get units at lower prices. 

Thanks

Jeff

• Mmmpomps and SleeperService like this

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

BBQ Fanatic, Organic Gardener, Organic Grape Grower

#41 Anova Jeff

Anova Jeff
  • society donor
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

FYI - We were also on a media blackout this morning so news media could get a first crack at the story.

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

#42 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

do you mean 'no news media'  ?

#43 Anova Jeff

Anova Jeff
  • society donor
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

do you mean 'no news media'  ?

what I meant was - we couldn't talk about the unit or post on social media / forums :p

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

#44 greenmonk

greenmonk
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

what I meant was - we couldn't talk about the unit or post on social media / forums :p

@Jeff that doesn't explain why you couldn't have come on here a couple days ago to tell us to watch for an announcement. Today was a pure shock. Why didn't you send an email to your followers yesterday to let us know? This blackout excuse is crap. I've backed many other Kickstarters that have sent an email at least a day before to their followers to warn them that the Kickstarter was going live sometime that next day. I'm sorry, but news media should not get first crack over your followers. We're the ones that made your machine successful, not the news media.
Jennifer

Apparently, I have my mom to thank for loving to cook. As she always says, "You should thank me for never cooking. It forced you to learn how!"

#45 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

""   followers ""

i knew it.  Its a Cult and I joined Late !

:huh:

• DiggingDogFarm likes this

#46 EMG

EMG
  • participating member
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

Congrats on such a quick Kickstarter success, Jeff!

Will you still be selling the old units when the new one is launched? I`m asking because I really like the one I bought last Fall, the 1Kw heater and 12L/min circulation are important features for the type of use I need it for.

#47 Mmmpomps

Mmmpomps
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

Our first one is coming in August! Very excited!

#48 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

Gon' hazard a guess that Serious Eats Staff have more to be thanked for the success of Anova V.1 than anyone on eGullet. 

• pbear, Hassouni and SleeperService like this

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#49 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

I didn't realize that there's a promotion competition...what are the prizes???

~Martin

#50 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

On a serious note, this will be Anova's big test of customer service and public relations.  

Half a million dollars of pre-orders in 24 hours is pretty serious stuff and people are going to be expecting pretty regular updates on the project's progress.  So the boys and girls had better get their iPhones at the ready to start snapping shots of everything they can to keep their followers in the loop.  

What they need to remember is that Kickstarter is a community and the backers are going to want to be made to feel like part of the team.  

In the past, more than a few people have expressed disappointment that Anova's communication has not as been as forth coming as it might have been.  

I hope they haven't bitten off more than they can chew, because it's crunch time now. 

Me?  I'm going to forget about it and be taken half by surprise when a couple of early birthday presents arrive. 

• SleeperService likes this

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#51 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:53 PM

They introduced a product to the world last year that's a great value and with much satisfaction among customers, yet some whined and continue to whine because they weren't hugged and loved enough....I expect more of the same.

I get the feeling that some would whine even if it were free!

I'm confident that ANOVA can handle the current project! 

I can't wait to get mine!!!  :smile:

• Mmmpomps and SleeperService like this

~Martin

#52 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

Neither can I, All Day I Dream About Shortribs

• FrogPrincesse and DiggingDogFarm like this

#53 mercury529

mercury529
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:26 PM

It pisses me off that they didn't come on here and tell us it was coming. We gave Jeff a TON of feedback and we didn't even get a chance at the $99 units. By the time I got the email, over 2,200 people had already pledged and all the cheap units were long gone. I can't believe that's how they treat their most loyal customers who just wanted to help them make a better product. Not happy at all!

Occurred to me too.

Jeff etal might consider an discount offer to those who contributed.

I can understand that. I believe I was the only user on the previous Anova thread (Anova Sous Vide thread - http://forums.egulle...rculator-part-2) to suggest the connectivity + app approach (which I imagine was already in development before they requested feedback) so I had the moment of indignation as well. The indignation was even stronger when the Kickstarter sold out of the $99 price point before 7:30 am PST. But, I sucked it up, contributed at the $129 level, and did something needlessly compulsive. I refreshed periodically until someone, inconceivably canceled their $99 Founder's Club backing. I consider myself fortunate in that regard.

At the same time, the pricing on the new units (even with the later Kickstarter tiers) are a tremendous bargain in the current world of at-home sous vide. And as Jeff mentioned, I think Anova was in no way prepared for the massive show of support and quick time to sell out on the Founder's Club level.

As one other note for those considering the Hacker Special level. I inquired about warranty service on the prototype unit, and there are currently no plans for warranty support. If that is important to you, you may want to take it into consideration.

Edited by mercury529, 06 May 2014 - 07:31 PM.

#54 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:36 PM

Help me understand this.  The way I read this is that there is no actual product ready to ship, rather, people are getting in line and ponying up $$ to help fund the production and development of the product, and some people can, by making a contribution early enough, get the heater cheaper than others who made a contribution later.  Is that correct?  Is there a product that is ready to ship now? 

.... Shel

#55 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:16 AM

That's how crowd-funding sites like Kickstarter work, Shel. The original home-use Anova is most certainly available - see the other Anova thread on eG. What we're talking about here is the Mk II, if you like, but the Mk I is a great machine.
  • Shel_B likes this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#56 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:39 AM

@Jeff that doesn't explain why you couldn't have come on here a couple days ago to tell us to watch for an announcement. Today was a pure shock. Why didn't you send an email to your followers yesterday to let us know? This blackout excuse is crap. I've backed many other Kickstarters that have sent an email at least a day before to their followers to warn them that the Kickstarter was going live sometime that next day. I'm sorry, but news media should not get first crack over your followers. We're the ones that made your machine successful, not the news media.

Give the guy a break - there's nothing that was done out of the ordinary or because they wanted to screw over their followers.

Anyone that doesn't like the way it was handled - well, don't buy the product.

Edited by weinoo, 07 May 2014 - 04:59 AM.

• SleeperService likes this
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#57 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:00 AM

Help me understand this.  The way I read this is that there is no actual product ready to ship, rather, people are getting in line and ponying up $$ to help fund the production and development of the product, and some people can, by making a contribution early enough, get the heater cheaper than others who made a contribution later.  Is that correct?  Is there a product that is ready to ship now? 

It's not actually a "heater."  It's a precision circulator.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#58 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:01 AM

That's how crowd-funding sites like Kickstarter work, Shel. The original home-use Anova is most certainly available - see the other Anova thread on eG. What we're talking about here is the Mk II, if you like, but the Mk I is a great machine.

Thanks for clarifying that.  So, some people are getting their knickers in a bunch over a product that doesn't yet exist. Anova, it seems, is selling blue sky.  Although it's clear that they do have a good reputation, there's only a promise of the MKII (I know about the MKI). It's possible that the described features and specs may change once production has started, yes?

Edited by Shel_B, 07 May 2014 - 05:40 AM.

.... Shel

#59 pmilas

pmilas
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:40 AM

The prototype of the device exists, the review is in the first post.
I've backed up several kickstarter products so far, and the only bad experience was when product was not finished on time (teo months later) i think that anova woulh have a lot of law suits if the final product is different than advertised. Not to mention their reputation.
This is just a way to get investors. Why invest yourself, when you can find others to do i for you :)

#60 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:05 AM

The prototype of the device exists, the review is in the first post.

A prototype is not the final product.  Often the final product is different than the prototype.

Can the circulator be used if one doesn't have a smart phone?  Can I use it in my mountain cabin where there is no connectivity?

.... Shel

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist