Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
435 replies to this topic

#421 salixfire

salixfire
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

Mmmm steak *drools* I like it medium rare, what sort of temperature would be best for that? Is there something that I should do first to test the calibration of the Anova first (preferably a cheaper option) so I don't ruin a good steak? Thank you :)

Just lurking, don't mind me...

#422 Byggeren

Byggeren
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:29 AM

Mmmm steak *drools* I like it medium rare, what sort of temperature would be best for that? Is there something that I should do first to test the calibration of the Anova first (preferably a cheaper option) so I don't ruin a good steak? Thank you :)

Eggs, great for testing at different temperatures. Test at 64°C and 65°C for an hour each. Google for images on the expected result. Easy, cheap and very interesting!

#423 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,641 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:32 AM

I'm going to let someone else answer the calibration question - I happen to have a reference thermometer so I check it with that.

I'd probably go 57 degrees C or so.

#424 salixfire

salixfire
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:34 AM

Thank you both :) I now need to get some eggs, steak and a source of water that won't try any kill my new toy (we have very hard water here) and have a play around. 

Just lurking, don't mind me...

#425 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:36 AM

salixfire

go with 130.  no salt.

don't worry about the calibration.  for this time.

I dont personally feel 130 is 'Rare'  you can see some stunning 'rare' rib-eye roasts from both

Shelby and Ann_T

remember this and think about it :  each SV is a 'food experiment'  keep track of each

over time, you will know  precisely what suit your.

no wibble-wabble then there !

#426 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:38 AM

Water ?   get a brita system from BB$B

20 % off

it clear out all the calcium etc

although for some reason Brita can't claim that

I have a nice espresso system.

I have calcium test strips 

i test the brita water so the Espresso system can stay healthy

brita will so this for you.

#427 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

Water ?   get a brita system from BB$B

20 % off

it clear out all the calcium etc

although for some reason Brita can't claim that

I have a nice espresso system.

I have calcium test strips 

i test the brita water so the Espresso system can stay healthy

brita will so this for you.

Really?  Brita will remove calcium?  The water here, although I like the taste, is too hard to make dashi.  I freeze distilled water ice cubes, bag them up with kombu, and Anova them for my dashi.

#428 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:38 PM

I'd suggest a steak.  A nice NY strip or rib steak.  Give it 2-3 hours at 54.5 (if you like rare).  Pat dry and quickly sear both sides with whatever method you have chosen.

While I agree with Kerry on most things, I would not start with a tender cut of beef.  This has not worked well for me.  if you want to cook a tender cut sous vide I suggest pork.  Otherwise go with something like lamb shank or shoulder, or with beef chuck or short rib.  These have worked well for me.

#429 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:04 AM

the Ca removal w the brita was discussed at length some time ago on HomeBarista, w mention why Brita cant advertise this

It also ref'd inexpensive 'dip-sticks' that give you your Ca by PPM

Ive go those and indeed the brita removes Ca so that there is an insignificant amount in the pitcher, which I use in my

AlexiaPID espresso machine.

I cant even remember the logic of why Brita cant mention this, as there was none.  It had to do w legislation that protected

one group that sells water purification systems over others.

as Mr. Potato Head said in Toy Story  "  Money Money Money  "

#430 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:52 AM

And what's the big deal with using purified water in the bath? I use tap and even with 24+ hour cooks I may get a very small amount of hard water ring on the outside skirt. I usually remove the skirt after use to rinse, clean an dry the rods and coil. Everything usually looks shiny and clean except the sensors which shows some discoloration.

#431 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

Rotuts, could you please provide a link for the HomeBarista discussion? I'd be interested in reading it and the geeky details within.

MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#432 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:59 AM

here is a search I just did on H-B :

http://www.home-bari...507j29667265j17

you would have to work your way through these.

there was a ref. somewhere at H-B to another article talking about why Brita can advertise this but I cant find it

the test strips I use are called SoftChek

they are  inexpensive

http://www.diywatert...11213-27452-50/

this came up on google.   the place I got them I cant find but was a site that sold all sorts of Dip-sticks and container of

50 was about 5 - 8 $$

my water starts out  ( vis test strip ) at 120 ppm

out of the Brita the water is somewhere < 25 but a bit more than 5 ppm

one 'plastic canister' for the brita lasts at least 6 m or more, as I only use this water in my espresso machine

my tap water tastes fine and I dont treat it for any thing else.

hope this helps.

Edited by rotuts, 01 January 2015 - 09:03 AM.

• MelissaH likes this

#433 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:13 PM

I tried to take my water questions to the Barita thread, but since this seems to be where the discussion is...

Rotuts, are you using a US Barita or a Barita from everywhere else in the world besides North America?  The German Barita folks say they leave the calcium in for reasons of taste.

Would not real deionized water interfere with the water level sensor of the Anova?  Maybe a question for Jeff.

#434 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:04 AM

Barita BB&B

( 20 % off ! )

http://www.bedbathan...?Keyword=barita

#435 rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject
  • participating member
  • 782 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else experienced troubles in their order shipping or seeking response from Anova? I ordered 21 Dec at which point their website clearly stated the PCs were on back order and would ship the first week of January and that shipping notifications would be emailed. I was fine with that, but by 7th Jan, I hadn't heard anything so I emailed to query, and was told "Upon checking your order, it appears to ship in the next few days/weeks." I replied that same day, pointing out that "days/weeks" was a pretty big window and could they be any more specific; I haven't had any reply at all to that email since.

I'm not impressed so far with their customer service. I understand there are backorders and shipping delays but that's pretty vague and non-responsive. Anyone else had problems??

#436 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:51 PM

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else experienced troubles in their order shipping or seeking response from Anova? I ordered 21 Dec at which point their website clearly stated the PCs were on back order and would ship the first week of January and that shipping notifications would be emailed. I was fine with that, but by 7th Jan, I hadn't heard anything so I emailed to query, and was told "Upon checking your order, it appears to ship in the next few days/weeks." I replied that same day, pointing out that "days/weeks" was a pretty big window and could they be any more specific; I haven't had any reply at all to that email since.

I'm not impressed so far with their customer service. I understand there are backorders and shipping delays but that's pretty vague and non-responsive. Anyone else had problems??

When I ordered my Anova 1 I was quoted 21 days till it would ship.  A follow up email a couple days later said it would ship in 10 days.  The unit actually arrived four days after I placed the order.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist