Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Top Chef: Boston

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#151 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:30 AM

I've been thinking about this, and, I suspect that the challenge was a bit unfair to the contestants. (unless they were to take a lot of liberties with the recipes) The book they had to work with was designed for home cooks putting out meals for 2-4 people. -Not what was present at the judging table plus the one for the camera. Some of the book's recipes are for things like sauteed steaks (bad idea because it would be difficult to to 8+ at once) as Dougie discovered, and others are braises and such but, once again we are talking a lot of prep and a larger pot which takes longer to get to temperature -and three hours just isn't enough time, especially with it broken into parts. I know you could say this about any challenge, but, pre-nouvelle french cooking can be complex. So, kudos to those in the top, they solved a complex problem.

• Jaymes, annabelle and gfweb like this