Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Top Chef: Boston

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#31 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

Maybe it's his unibrow? 

#32 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

It is.  I always want to hold him down and "manscape" his brows.

#33 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

He kind of dresses like a middle school girl at times.  And that unibrow...

But he is Canadian, so there's that whole thing.

• demiglace and annabelle like this

#34 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

http://www.thebraise...hesons-unibrow/

#35 Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet
  • participating member
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

Just wanted to add a voice in support of Hugh. I'm admittedly biased as I've been a longtime fan since he opened his first restaurant Five and Ten in Athens GA.  I like his offbeat and slightly urbane manner and the fact that he's not all the way up Tom's backside.

#36 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

The cheftestapants (Silvestri's term, from a previous season, which I am copying) have been revealed.

http://www.bravotv.c...show_dish_blogs

http://www.bravotv.c...-chef/season-12

Opening episode Oct 15, 10 PM ET.

Richard Blais is to be a recurring judge!! :shock:

• gfweb and Shelby like this

#37 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

It seems there was a kerfuffle with the Teamsters.

http://deadline.com/...op-chef-820137/

http://www.bostonglo...UjtK/story.html

http://eater.com/arc...n-teamsters.php

Edited by huiray, 22 August 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#38 IndyRob

IndyRob
  • participating member
  • 852 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

It seems there was a kerfuffle with the Teamsters.

Impossible.  The Teamsters would never do anything untoward.

#39 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

Impossible.  The Teamsters would never do anything untoward.

Riiiiight.

Still, the deadline report also noted complaints about Bravo's failure to deal with the situation properly or at least in a better way.

I also note that according to the Boston Globe report the TC production team actually changed some of the locations for the show because of threats from the Teamsters.

#40 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:35 AM

As the show gets nearer (Oct 15) I'm starting to look at the bios and backgrounds of the contestants as posted on the Bravo website.  The very first one (Aaron Grissom) I thought curious - the website bio says that he "has a passion for Asian and new American cuisine" but when I look at the menus of the restaurant for which he is the chef I see no identifiably "Asian" dish (Lunch & Dinner) whether E/SE/S/W Asian, although those menus are from June 2012.  Well, OpenTable's listing identifies it as (still) "Latin/Spanish" and lists Grissom as EC.  Perhaps he is compelled by the owners to put out that style of food and his "Asian" cuisine passion is strictly on his own time?  Wouldn't an EC often have some influence on what goes onto a menu of a restaurant even if he is not the owner?  Curious.

#41 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:46 AM

The shadow of Mike Isabella falls across TC Boston! :smile:  George Pagonis carries the torch onwards...

p.s. Did anyone ever try that (in)famous pepperoni sauce?

p.p.s. ...and will be judged by the person who edged out the pepperoni sauce in that particular finale!

Edited by huiray, 06 October 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#42 gkas

gkas
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:04 PM

Top Chef is a joke from the top down.  Padma Lakshmi has absolutely no credibility. She knows zero about food, but spouts off like a pro. Another useless reality celeb.

#43 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:19 PM

Well, gkas, feel free to NOT watch the show.  :-)

#44 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:40 AM

Top Chef is a joke from the top down.  Padma Lakshmi has absolutely no credibility. She knows zero about food, but spouts off like a pro. Another useless reality celeb.

She may be a reality celeb now, but she used to be a chef. So to call her a "Pro" could be considered accurate.

In the early days of the Food Network (back when they actually had shows on with chefs who taught you how to cook), she was one of the chefs in rotation on "The Melting Pot" which showcased different cultures and cuisines.

You may not agree with her, which is your prerogative, but more often than not I'd say she knows what she's talking about when it comes to food. 

• Shelby likes this

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#45 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,410 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:32 AM

She may be a reality celeb now, but she used to be a chef. So to call her a "Pro" could be considered accurate.
In the early days of the Food Network (back when they actually had shows on with chefs who taught you how to cook), she was one of the chefs in rotation on "The Melting Pot" which showcased different cultures and cuisines.
You may not agree with her, which is your prerogative, but more often than not I'd say she knows what she's talking about when it comes to food.

And, I have, and have used, two of her cookbooks.

So, gkas, you may well not like her. But that particular insult is unfounded.

#46 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:13 AM

I bet her cookbooks were ghostwritten.  ;-)

But, I know people who know her and they say she's a nice person.

#47 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,410 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:05 PM

I bet her cookbooks were ghostwritten.  ;-)

Well, I'd say they're more like 'recipe collections' than comprehensive cooking books. And there aren't hundreds and hundreds of recipes. She says they're from the many countries where she's worked, and India of course, but that they are reduced-fat versions that models eat.

Although do have to add that, even after eating several of the dishes, I still don't look like she does.
  • Smithy likes this

#48 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

Couple of articles in The Boston Globe today.

Some behind-the-scenes details (plus a wee, wee bit of vaguely spoiler-y stuff about the first episode and etc).  Info about the Top Chef kitchen.

http://www.bostonglo...rKaK/story.html

http://www.bostonglo...8uiL/story.html

#49 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:25 PM

Regarding the financial arrangements...(I imagine *some* might be passingly interested)...the second article from the post above has this tid-bit in it:

(Bravo partnered with the Greater Boston Convention and Visitors Bureau for the season. The details of the arrangement are swaddled in nondisclosure agreements, but CEO and president Patrick B. Moscaritolo spoke with counterparts in past “Top Chef” cities and said: “I know what they had to raise to be on the show, and our partnership was much more heavily structured on the in-kind services than it was on any kind of financial contribution. That’s about all I’m really allowed to say. It was a great business deal for Boston and our visitor industry.”)

(From here)

• gfweb likes this

#50 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:34 AM

That petroleum shrimp looked SO unappetizing.  I think the guy needed one more ingredient (I jest, I jest).

Katie's broccoli salad....the judges kept saying they didn't think the bacon component fit with it.  Around here someone always brings a broccoli salad to picnics, dinners etc.  It has broccoli, shredded cheddar, crumbled bacon, red onion, red wine vinegar, sugar and mayo.  It's pretty good and the bacon goes well.  I'd be interested to know the rest of her ingredients.

#51 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:06 AM

That petroleum shrimp looked SO unappetizing.  I think the guy needed one more ingredient (I jest, I jest).

Katie's broccoli salad....the judges kept saying they didn't think the bacon component fit with it.  Around here someone always brings a broccoli salad to picnics, dinners etc.  It has broccoli, shredded cheddar, crumbled bacon, red onion, red wine vinegar, sugar and mayo.  It's pretty good and the bacon goes well.  I'd be interested to know the rest of her ingredients.

Yes, that shrimp was...uggh.  Just ONE more ingredient?  He said at judges' table that if he could he would have added LOTS MORE ingredients into it.  His attitude reminds me of a former acquaintance of mine who boasted of a "curry powder" he made and marketed which had at last count (a few years ago) more than 20 ingredients and he stated that he would continue to add more and more things to it as he discovered them or thought of them...he sent me the list of things that went into it, saying it gave it a great complexity - but what it seemed like to me was that one would not be able to make out *anything* in it and rather than complexity it was just overwrought and ridiculously complicated (not complex) - which is what Richard Blais also said about the dish.  If it were truly well made, like an excellent Oaxacan molé negro with 20++ ingredients in it, that would be a different matter - but here it seemed like a throwing together of everything but the kitchen sink.

Oh it was soooo painful to see (and hear) his (Katsuji's) attempts at shucking clams.

Salad strikes again!!  :-)  In a bad way, that is.  On Top Chef anyway.  I think it was Aaron (I need to check - later) who said, when questioned about the audacity of his making a pork belly dish in the short time they had, that he was there at TC to try to make interesting/challenging dishes (something like that), not to toss salad.  :-) 

(BTW I am someone who does not like bacon in my salads)

It was interesting to see the head-butting between George and Gregory and Gregory's flailing on his mackerel when he ostentatiously claimed he would (in effect) do expertly at it.  George then mangled his clam-shucking anyway, oops.  Maybe they should have exchanged duties? 

Richard Blais blogs about how George and Gregory were two excellent chefs, however, who produced very good dishes in that "sudden death cook-off" and how under other circumstances George would definitely have NOT gone home.

As for Michael going home in the elimination challenge - I think I would agree with that decision.  Nevertheless, both Katsuji (that complicated shrimp dish) and Katie (that salad) had narrow escapes.

From just this first episode it seems to me that my hackles are rising up with Gegory and Adam, both with their "superior attitudes".  And what's with Adam wrapping that US flag around his head as a do-rag?

P.s. - from the preview of upcoming episodes, (SPOILER ALERT) Katsuji makes it fairly far into the competition...

• Shelby likes this

#52 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,410 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:40 AM

That petroleum shrimp looked SO unappetizing. I think the guy needed one more ingredient (I jest, I jest).

Katie's broccoli salad....the judges kept saying they didn't think the bacon component fit with it. Around here someone always brings a broccoli salad to picnics, dinners etc. It has broccoli, shredded cheddar, crumbled bacon, red onion, red wine vinegar, sugar and mayo. It's pretty good and the bacon goes well. I'd be interested to know the rest of her ingredients.

I love that broccoli salad. And what they said about the bacon was that they didn't understand the reason for the "bacon powder," which is, to me, just one more example of the current trend of silliness in a misguided effort to be avant-garde. Real, actual, crunchy, salty bacon is indispensable in that salad.

I think Katie fell victim to the foolish mistake of trying to adhere to the stated challenge too literally. When they were tasked to recreate the first dish they remembered making, Katie obviously thought, "Oh, that's my grammy's broccoli salad!" Her next thought should have been, "But no matter what they said, I can't make that. I have to think of something more complicated and impressive even if I have to invent a completely fictitious backstory."

Instead, she took the challenge literally, including the bit about "updating" the recipe. Hence the ridiculous and puzzling "bacon powder."

I'm glad she didn't go home for that. Her dish wasn't bad, just underwhelming.

And I think when the judges give folks challenges like these that often result in some overly-simple something "just like auntie used to make," they should cut the cheftestants some slack when they do just exactly what they were asked to do.

Edited by Jaymes, 16 October 2014 - 09:42 AM.

• Lisa Shock and Shelby like this

#53 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:07 AM

I'm always amazed that some of these guys show up seemingly unprepared for the task ahead.

Like if you are doing TC in Boston, you ought to be prepared to shuck a clam or an oyster PDQ. How many failed at that last night 3 or 4?

And you ought to make dishes of suitable complexity.  No throwing a steak on the grill and baking a potato.

Its as though they never went back and watched old shows. As though they just showed up in Boston with their knives.

• Jaymes, demiglace, Lisa Shock and 1 other like this

#54 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,410 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

Yeah. Like going on Survivor and not realizing that sooner or later you're going to have to make a fire.
  • gfweb and Shelby like this

#55 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:47 PM

Tim Love amused me when he did the steak and potato thing on Next Iron Chef. Seemed like he wanted to get off that show fast. Like perhaps he thought that his competition were tools (they were).

#56 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

Some challenges keep coming back, and the mis en place challenge will probably keep appearing in one form or another in upcoming seasons -it's cheap, and easy to stage. If I knew I was going to be on the show, I'd have been practicing basic skills as much as possible. Also, practice would improve overall speed which is super-important as well.

• gfweb likes this

#57 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:04 PM

I'm always amazed that some of these guys show up seemingly unprepared for the task ahead.

Like if you are doing TC in Boston, you ought to be prepared to shuck a clam or an oyster PDQ. How many failed at that last night 3 or 4?

And you ought to make dishes of suitable complexity.  No throwing a steak on the grill and baking a potato.

Its as though they never went back and watched old shows. As though they just showed up in Boston with their knives.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable "I didn't learn how to make a single dessert for this show" moment and the even more mind boggling "I didn't prepare any desserts for the finale" moment.
  • gfweb likes this
PS: I am a guy.

#58 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:46 AM

I was fairly amused at some of the interviews where contestants spoke of the show itself being such a respected, high level type competition. All I could think of is season 1's culinary student and all of the personal chefs in many seasons. Sorry, I like the show, but, this isn't the Culinary Olympics, or Bocuse d'Or.

• JeanneCake and gfweb like this

#59 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:25 AM

I was fairly amused at some of the interviews where contestants spoke of the show itself being such a respected, high level type competition. All I could think of is season 1's culinary student and all of the personal chefs in many seasons. Sorry, I like the show, but, this isn't the Culinary Olympics, or Bocuse d'Or.

While Top Chef is no Bocuse d'Or, the quality has improved immensely since the first couple of seasons and the chefs who make it late into the season are legitimately some of the best young chefs in America. But all of the contestants were talking about the commercial impact that Top Chef brings and it's undoubtedly true that becoming a star on Top Chef helps you open up restaurants and fill tables far better than the Bocuse d'Or or any other culinary competition.
PS: I am a guy.

#60 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:50 AM

Here's a recap of TCB ep1 I enjoyed reading:

http://www.baltimore...ory.html#page=1

Regarding the QF:  That recap pointed out something I had not noticed in my first viewing of the episode; I just rewatched it and yes, George said that he sucked at shucking clams, said it publicly in front of the other (Red) team members and was trying to get Gregory to do it but was sort-of bullied into doing it by Gregory.  Gregory boasted he was good at fish but that turned out to be incorrect - while George indeed proved that he was no good at clams, as he had *said* to the group.  It sort of feels a bit - on rewatching - that he was thrown under the bus by Gregory (and/or the other members?) although we don't get to see/hear how they decided on who was going to do the lobsters and oysters.

As for the Yellow team, Adam really did insist on his lobster prowess then blew it when actually doing it.