Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 2)

Confections

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
530 replies to this topic

#91 KrazedMom

KrazedMom
  • participating member
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

alanamoana's advice is spot on.

I'd also recommend smaller batches than what the recipe is written as.  I regularly make up the marshmallows in 1/4 sized batch: using just one packet of gelatin.  This is good for if you want to flavor experiment with out ending up with pounds of weird marshmallows.

Nightscotsman's Marshmallows Vanilla Mini Batch

gelatin envelope  1
water  3 Tbs
vanilla extract  3/4 tsp
sugar  3/4 c
water  3 Tbs
corn syrup 1/4c + 1Tbs
(those sliding plunger style measuring cups work great for the corn syrup)
salt 1/8 tsp

I find that this fits into a sandwich sized plastic storage container (holds 3.4 cups) quite well, though it does make for tall marshmallows. 

Nightscotsman's Marshmallows Fruit Mini Batch

gelatin envelope  1
water  2 Tbs
fruit puree 2 Tbs
vanilla extract  3/4 tsp
sugar  3/4 c
water  3 Tbs
corn syrup 1/4c + 1Tbs
(those sliding plunger style measuring cups work great for the corn syrup)
salt 1/8 tsp

I just made a mini batch of vanilla with spiced cider soda syrup stirred in.  It's the perfect size to try new flavors with!

View Post

That is fabulous! I love making these things and wish it was Christmas so I can make everything and pass it out. I will try this mini recipe and let you know how I do! Thanks again!

#92 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for that mini-batch breakdown McAuliflower!

I am going to try making these for the first time tonight -- with black raspberries picked from our property. Will let you know how they turn out!

Emily

#93 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:56 AM

Hi all!

Ok, I apologize for my sucky picture taking skills, but wanted to post a picture of the black raspberry marshmallows dipped in Callebaut I made... They were amazing, and just as folks here have said before, people's eyes opened very wide when they saw them...

Posted Image

Now I've started thinking obsessively about frangelico marshmallows... Only question is -- if I replaced the fruit puree with frangelico, which is sweet itself, do you think that would make the finished product sickly sweet? Any way around that?

Many thanks to all of you for this fabulous post that expanded my culinary horizons...

Emily

#94 Tweety69bird

Tweety69bird
  • participating member
  • 462 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:34 AM

Posted Image

I made these cinnamon marshmallows on the weekend. I started with Martha Stewart's vanilla recipe and added in some cinnamon oil and ground cinnamon after they were done. Nice flavour. Does anyone know how long marshmallows are good for... I mean as long as they're in a well sealed container.. and that they don't get eaten?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

#95 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,586 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:16 AM

Posted Image

I made these cinnamon marshmallows on the weekend. I started with Martha Stewart's vanilla recipe and added in some cinnamon oil and ground cinnamon after they were done. Nice flavour. Does anyone know how long marshmallows are good for... I mean as long as they're in a well sealed container.. and that they don't get eaten?

View Post

I think I read 3 months somewhere.

#96 hummingbirdkiss

hummingbirdkiss
  • participating member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:02 PM

Ok I am taking marshmallows on my vacation to give as gifts!!! they are easy to pack ..people go crazy for them and why the heck not!

I want to share my lastest batch of marshmallows ...because ..even though these look like just plain old marshmallows in pale colors. ..they are not the most attractive ones that is for sure.....I have to say by far these are the most tasty ones yet!!!

One of them is a tamarind spiced one ...I put tamarind pulp and a splash of Rose's lime juice...in the Nightscotsmans recipe instead of 1/2 cup strawberries, then I added in the end of the whip the following mix
1 tsp of coriander seeds toasted with 1 tsp of cumin seeds ..1 tsp of crushed dried mint 1 tsp of kosher salt and 1 tsp of good and hot red chile powder

these are so yummy! they taste like the Mexican or Asian sweet, hot, sour. salty tamarind candies only better with the taste/crunch of the seeds in there and the fact they are a marshmallow!! ...really good!!!

the rest you see are Mango lime, Soursop (very very good!!!) and passion fruit...the only thing missing from this tasting plate would be a coconut and or banana flavored one to kind of round out the flavors...

I know this sounds strange the but sweet, hot, salty, sour tamarind one with a beer was good!!!
Posted Image

#97 Joni

Joni
  • participating member
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:15 PM

what did you use for flavorings for all these beautiful marshmallows?
soursop, mango lime, etc. What brands? Thanks

#98 Joni

Joni
  • participating member
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:17 PM

Emily...what black raspberry syrup did you use? Those looked great. Have not tried dipping mine in chocolate yet.

#99 hummingbirdkiss

hummingbirdkiss
  • participating member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:43 PM

what did you use for flavorings for all these beautiful marshmallows?
soursop, mango lime, etc.  What brands?  Thanks

View Post

I used and loved the Goya frozen fruit pulps

http://www.goya.com/...prodSubCatID=34

I buy them for smoothies usually and when I saw someone had tried making mango and passion fruit I got excited and had to try it! ..these are fuit pulp only nothing else added..my store has a huge variety of pulps... I will have to work my way through them all!

I did increase the pulp to 3/4 cup and cut 1/4 cup off the water to increase the flavor ..but you dont have to .....the soursop is really wonderful ...and the passion fruit smells to die for!!!

for the lime flavor in the mango and tamarind I used Rosa's lime juice

#100 McAuliflower

McAuliflower
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:01 PM

I used and loved the Goya frozen fruit pulps

http://www.goya.com/...prodSubCatID=34

View Post

good call! I just picked up some Goya fruit pulp in the freezer section of a local market. Grabbed Cherimoya, guava, and mango. I was impressed to see that it is indeed straight pulp- no added sugars.
"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch." --JB
Brownie Points- Culinary Notebook

#101 hummingbirdkiss

hummingbirdkiss
  • participating member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:44 AM

I love the Goya fruit pulp and as I said have been using it for years ..the mango is the only one I am not always thrilled with ..sometimes the flavor shines and sometimes it is blah ....other than that the fruits are always good ..try the soursop/guayabana if you can find it ..it makes a lovely white marshmallow with the nicest tropical flavor..(it is one of my very favorite tropical fruits!) ..I want to try the mamey as a marshmallow ...I bet it is good!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss, 04 March 2007 - 06:45 AM.

#102 hummingbirdkiss

hummingbirdkiss
  • participating member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:21 AM

what other flavors besides mint and lime do you think could be colored green for St Patrick's day? any ideas?

ps I have been using 1/2 tsp Wilton icing color jell good success ...it is just enough color to make it look like the flavor with out being to intense ...

#103 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:49 AM

Hi Joni --

I used black raspberries from our property, so no store to send you to I'm afraid... Do try dipping in chocolate though -- now that I've had them that way I can't imagine them any other! The chocolate is key!

Emily

#104 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:17 AM

what other flavors besides mint and lime do you think could be colored green for St Patrick's day? any ideas?

ps I have been using 1/2 tsp Wilton icing color jell good success ...it is just enough color to make it look like the flavor with out being to intense ...

View Post

You could dip vanilla marshmallows in white chocolate that's been tinted a pale green; or dip the lime ones into plain white chocolate and then into tinted coconut...

#105 hummingbirdkiss

hummingbirdkiss
  • participating member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:34 AM

[/quote]

You could dip vanilla marshmallows in white chocolate that's been tinted a pale green; or dip the lime ones into plain white chocolate and then into tinted coconut...

View Post

[/quote]

thank you good idea!!! .. what about green flavors? what is there out there that can be green? I was wondering if I could try a nice ripe pear cooked down into sauce? to get pear flavor? anyone try an apple or pear like this?

Edited by hummingbirdkiss, 05 March 2007 - 08:35 AM.

#106 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:24 PM

I've done a pear buttercream for a past client, using the Perfect Puree pear - but it is a pale yellow/gold, not at all green so I'd go for tinting it if you do it. Pear is such an elusive flavor to capture - I used practically the entire bottle of puree and wished I'd had some compound.

#107 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:55 PM

What about green tea? I think somebody has tried it . . . maybe . . .

#108 McAuliflower

McAuliflower
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:29 PM

View Post

Sweet fresh, er... well frozen peas would lend themselves wonderfully for green marshmallows.

Sweet wasabi!

Delicate kiwi complete with those cute crunchy little seeds.

yum!

edited to add:

margarita marshmallows! Lime-aide based with tequilla poured into the whipping fluff. And salted dusting powder...

>> relatedly, you could make up margarita jello shots with lime or honey homemade marshmallows mixed in before they set up...

Edited by McAuliflower, 05 March 2007 - 10:50 PM.

#109 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:26 AM

McAuliflower -- margarita marshmallows with salted dusting powder is pure genius! You must make them and tell us how they turn out!!!

On a side note, doesn't kiwi fruit have the same type of gelatin-breaking enzymes that makes pineapple a problem for fresh marshmallows?

Emily

#110 hummingbirdkiss

hummingbirdkiss
  • participating member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:57 AM

Ok it is settle Margarita marshmallows for St Patricks day..it is my dear friends birthday...he loves Margarita's so maybe I will hook him up with a theme basket!!!

thanks so much!!!

#111 McAuliflower

McAuliflower
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:19 AM

On a side note, doesn't kiwi fruit have the same type of gelatin-breaking enzymes that makes pineapple a problem for fresh marshmallows?

Emily

View Post

Oh yeah- you're right.

Cooking the fruit before adding to the marshmallows will destroy the enzymes that attack the gelatin.

Edited by McAuliflower, 06 March 2007 - 11:19 AM.

#112 Rhubarb

Rhubarb
  • participating member
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:12 PM

Just made my first batch of (chocolate-marbled) marshmallows. Like fallin' off a log. Thanks everyone!

#113 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:53 AM

Hi all --

Had to post about a new marshmallow aid -- Reynolds Release (the non-stick aluminum foil). The first time I made these and just greased regular foil, pulling the foil off was quite challenging despite the fact that I had greased it to high heaven. This time, that wrap came off like a dream! I am actually going to write to Reynolds and thank them!

Now hummingbirdkiss -- do tell -- how did those margarita marshmallows turn out?!

Emily

#114 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:02 AM

I was wondering about making the same recipe but with less gelatine for piping pourpuse.If I would to fill some hollow chocolate shell I would need the marshmallow to be cold but still workable .Do you think ( any of you ) that would be possible?

Thank you
Vanessa

#115 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:16 AM

I was wondering about making the same recipe but with less gelatine for piping pourpuse.If I would to fill some hollow chocolate shell I would need the marshmallow to be cold but still workable .Do you think ( any of you ) that would be possible?

Thank you

View Post

Maybe Marshmallow fluff is more what you're looking for?
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#116 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:38 AM

And maybe you are right :raz:
Thank you
Vanessa

#117 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:03 PM

I made a sort of soft marshmallow, anyway I thought it didnt came out right,very liquidy , still creamy ,I would say the consitency of a genoise batter :rolleyes:
It was cool when I was done beating and I pour it some in some chocolate shells to see what happens when it dryes out.
I will report later.I add some dulce de leche to the batter .
Vanessa

#118 hummingbirdkiss

hummingbirdkiss
  • participating member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:44 AM

Hi all --

Had to post about a new marshmallow aid -- Reynolds Release (the non-stick aluminum foil). The first time I made these and just greased regular foil, pulling the foil off was quite challenging despite the fact that I had greased it to high heaven. This time, that wrap came off like a dream! I am actually going to write to Reynolds and thank them!

Now hummingbirdkiss -- do tell -- how did those margarita marshmallows turn out?!

Emily

View Post

what a great idea on the foil thanks!!!

Margarita Marshmallows (use Knightscotsman's perfect recipe)

half fresh squeezed lime juice with 1 tsp grated zest and half good tequilla for the base and to bloom the gelatine... a tsp of finely grated orange zest cooked into the sugar syrup ..if you have triple sec you could put it about a tablespoon I guess into the bloom...but I didn't so the orange peel worked well!
make as directed adding some green tint to the mix ...just enough to give it a limey/Margarita color ....(I used Wilton icing tint worked fine)

when the marshmallows are done add some margarita salt to the powdered sugar/potato flour mixture..to taste..(I used about 2 heaping tablespoons in 1 cup sugar/1 cup potato starch and saved what was left for another batch...)

garnish each marshmallow with a toothpick that has a sour lime jelly candy on it (like the sourpatch kids fruits)

these are so fun!!!! I could also see adding some New Mexican red chile to the coating

#119 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:23 PM

The experiment went great, the marshmallow stuff firmed up to a nice marshamllow consistency inside my chocolate shells and it tastes pretty good .So my Easter progect can go on .
Vanessa

#120 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:13 AM

The experiment went great, the marshmallow stuff firmed up to a nice marshamllow consistency inside my chocolate shells and it tastes pretty good .So my Easter progect can go on .

View Post

My second thought after marshmallow fluff was Italian Meringue, which is supposed to have this marshmallowy consistency. :blink:

Then I came to my sense and realized that there's no way you'd be piping that into chocolate shells! :laugh:
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections