Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 2)

Confections

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
530 replies to this topic

#61 lenabo

lenabo
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:52 PM

Desiderio

Usually I only beat it for 10 minutes in the electric mixer, and the consistency is sticky , still pourable but you need to work fast .I am sure if you sue just corn syrup or glucose it should work just fine.

Thanks!
Yes, probably the problem is in the invert syrop. Anyway my family eats my MM :)

I'l try again!
I love to decorate cakes and you may see my cakes here: http://foto.mail.ru/mail/bonya_l/1

#62 McAuliflower

McAuliflower
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:34 PM

[quote name='Joni' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:50 PM']
I'm thinking of simmering a cocoa powder and water solution to drizzle in towards the end of the whip?

View Post

[/quote]

What was your ratio of water and cocoa that you swirled in? Thanks!

View Post

[/quote]

sorry for the much belated reply (life got in the way...)
the cocoa solution is equal volumes water and cocoa powder.

For example, 1/2 cup boiling water whisked into 1/2 cup cocoa powder.

And regarding peanut butter- just thin it down a slight bit with water, and swirl in at the end of mixing. Just like the chocolate swirl.
"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch." --JB
Brownie Points- Culinary Notebook

#63 Majra

Majra
  • participating member
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:25 AM

I made a batch of strawberry marshmallows, dipped in white chocolate and decorated for Valentine's Day. I'm putting the heart-shaped ones on lollipop sticks for my daughter to give to her classmates. I'm also planning to dip some square ones in dark chocolate.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#64 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:14 PM

After looking at all the beautiful marshmallows, I need to make them again soon. I made them for the first time last August. Some I dusted in cocoa and I also used some of the marshmallow sandwiched with maple cream fudge.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#65 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:22 PM

MAPLE CREAM FUDGE!! :shock: AHhh YUMMYYYY DROOL , what else, that looks deliciuosssssss.
Vanessa

#66 Majra

Majra
  • participating member
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:23 PM

adding lollypop sticks is a great idea. 
I can't quite imagine myself completing that endevour patiently... do they just shove in?

View Post

Pretty much, yes. Not tricky nor time consuming.

#67 KrazedMom

KrazedMom
  • participating member
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:40 PM

for the white chocolate coating...did you just melt the white chocolate or did you add anything to the coating?? I am going to make plain vanilla for my son's school and this idea is perfect!!!

[quote name='Majra' date='Feb 9 2007, 08:25 AM']
I made a batch of strawberry marshmallows, dipped in white chocolate and decorated for Valentine's Day. I'm putting the heart-shaped ones on lollipop sticks for my daughter to give to her classmates. I'm also planning to dip some square ones in dark chocolate.

#68 Majra

Majra
  • participating member
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:10 PM

for the white chocolate coating...did you just melt the white chocolate or did you add anything to the coating?? I am going to make plain vanilla for my son's school and this idea is perfect!!!

I just melted the chocolate, nothing added except the sprinkles on top. For your project, you may want to consider that white chocolate might look yellowish on top of a vanilla marshmallow. When I make vanilla ones they are a very bright white.

#69 KrazedMom

KrazedMom
  • participating member
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:06 AM

thanks, Majra....I had considered that already and was going to play with tinting the marshmallow or the white chocolate a pink color and then go wild on the sprinkles. It's for 5 yr olds, so as long as there are sprinkles, it's all good!!

I just melted the chocolate, nothing added except the sprinkles on top.  For your project, you may want to consider that white chocolate might look yellowish on top of a vanilla marshmallow.  When I make vanilla ones they are a very bright white.

View Post

#70 hummingbirdkiss

hummingbirdkiss
  • participating member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:13 AM

Hello there!

I am brand new to Egullet and have just read through all 20 pages of this thread and am beside myself over marshmallows!

Years ago when my kids were little I made some simple vanilla marshmallows with a very low grade success ...I was always a cook and never good at baking or confectionaries ..suddenly when my youngest got his own place I could bake! Go figure on that one! Now I come here find this recipe and I am astounded at just how much fun this is and how perfectly these marshmallows came out . I did the Nightscotsman's strawberry and vanilla...brought a HUGE plate of them to work and watched as people tasted them ...the faces were priceless!!! The expressions of surprise that someone actually could and would make marshmallows and that they would be marshmallows were hysterical! I am a nurse in a very busy clinic . Feeding my coworkers wonderful food is such a joy ..feeding them home made marshmallows was insane fun!!! One PA I work with said "who makes these I thought people just picked them off trees" he kept going back and tasting them saying "these are really marshmallows!"

Thanks so much for filling my brain with such a lovely diversion!!! you folks have fantastic ideas and the pictures are beautiful!.. the options are obviously endless!

I will curry anything so I have to try the curried marshmallows next and I was thinking of topping them with flaked coconut...not sure if I should go with fresh toasted ? what do you think with the curry flavor?

#71 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:48 AM

I will curry anything so I have to try the curried marshmallows next and I was thinking of topping them with flaked coconut...not sure if I should go with fresh toasted ? what do you think with the curry flavor?

View Post

FWIW, there is a type of curry that is thickened by frying the coconut until it's brown, which is kinda like toasting, no?
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#72 hummingbirdkiss

hummingbirdkiss
  • participating member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:28 AM

View Post

FWIW, there is a type of curry that is thickened by frying the coconut until it's brown, which is kinda like toasting, no?

View Post

That makes sense... I am glad I went with my gut and toasted it!...I usually put coconut in my Caribbean style curries and thought it would be a good combo..so.. ..I made them this morning because I was obssessed! I used two tsps of betapac curry 1/2 tsp of pure coconut extract and topped them with toasted coconut flakes..they smell to die for!!! I am so excited with these!!! I also made a batch with some magnificant New Mexican Red chile and plan to dip those in dark chocolate ...

I have to say making these are are so much fun!!! ..even better than a big valium for relieving my stress level :)

Desiderio: thank you so much for the welcome!

#73 hummingbirdkiss

hummingbirdkiss
  • participating member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:03 AM

I am shamelessy excited to share these with you!!!
I am just so beside myself with this!

the first one I made the most yummy New Mexican red chile marshmallow and the taste alone was to die for ... just enough heat to push through the sweet and bite you! the wonderful flavor of the (real mind you I obtain 10lbs a year from a friend in Chimayo so they have killer chile flavor!) chile was enough to carry this marshmallow alone I think ..but since it is Valentines day I had to do something special ..so I dopped them in dark chocolate and put crushed salted roasted peanuts on top voila' a Mole Marshmallow ...talk about tasty!!!! I cut one in half so you could see (and sorry my camera and photo techniques kind of suck) they are actually a pretty light almost tomatoy red and if you look close you can see chile specks
Posted Image
Posted Image
then we have the Coconut curry ones ...these are by far the best textured marshmallow out of all my batches so far!.. they look kind of like coconut cream pie ..and like the chile they could have stood on their own ..but the last second I opted to use up the rest of my dark chocolate and put a foot of it on them ...they are really tasty ...and for a very special friend of mine ...I hope he loves them as much as the love I put into them ...
Posted Image

finally my first ones the wonderful Nightscotsman's recipe all three flavors ..all perfect thank you so much for my new addiction! You can not see the chocolate in the bag for some reason they must all be in the back? I used just a little less cocoa powder and some coffee instead of most of the water ..they are fluffy and very tasty
Posted Image

Edited by hummingbirdkiss, 13 February 2007 - 10:08 AM.

#74 lapin d'or

lapin d'or
  • participating member
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:59 PM

I made my first marshmallows last night and as it was valentine's eve I chose raspberry and rose flavouring. The raspberry puree was made with some freeze-dried raspberries I have just had delivered and the rose from a very strongly scented rose syrup. This flavour combination worked very well and produced a nice soft pink colour but a very strong flavour.

I ended up with quite a sticky mixture so cutting up was a lot of fun - no hope of using my heart shaped cutter.

Anyway they went down very well at work with lots of people asking how I made them.

Thank you nightscotsman for the recipe - I shall be using it a lot.

Jill

#75 David J.

David J.
  • participating member
  • 420 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:29 PM

I made my first marshmallows last night as well since I do chocolates the rest of the year and this is unexpected. I recieved this note back from a co-worker:

"Thank you for the strawberry marshmallow. It was marvelous! I have never had a marshmallow that didn't come from a colorful plastic bag in the grocery store and didn't realize what I was missing!!"

Just a little more encouragement for anyone who hasn't broken down to join the cult of the marshmallow yet...

#76 JustKay

JustKay
  • participating member
  • 516 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:25 PM

I didn't find any recipes when I googled this, but discovered that there is a peanut butter extract by Watkins--has anyone tried this?  Or is there another way to get the peanut flavor--I am assuming real peanut butter is too oily for marshmallows. 

I tried using peanut butter, even homemade ones but they didn't turn out. But I get decent ones using the PB flavor from LorAnn Oils. And they're quite good covered with chocolate.

Edited by JustKay, 14 February 2007 - 08:26 PM.

#77 hummingbirdkiss

hummingbirdkiss
  • participating member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:42 AM

I want to make some with maple syrup in place of the corn syrup next has anyone done this?

I saw mention of it but not sure if I missed it if anyone had success?

I would appreciate the feedback

also I have some rosewater and thought of rosewater marshmallows with pistachios stuck to them would be very nice!

is there something wrong tthat I woke up thinking of these today I wonder :blink:

#78 David Israel

David Israel
  • society donor
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:24 AM

I, too, would like to thank Nightscotsman for the recipe. I've made it several times, in variations including the strawberry (with bittersweet chocolate lines drizzled on top) and cinnamon, and they've consistently turned out great (and have been much appreciated by co-workers!).

An upcoming experiment will be to do S'more Bites :smile: -- vanilla marshmallows cut into small pieces, and pieces of graham crackers, mixed with tempered bittersweet chocolate and formed into clusters. The only thing missing would be the gooey-ness of the toasted marshmallow and melting chocolate of the original S'more...

#79 ColleenD

ColleenD
  • participating member
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:51 PM

I didn't find any recipes when I googled this, but discovered that there is a peanut butter extract by Watkins--has anyone tried this?  Or is there another way to get the peanut flavor--I am assuming real peanut butter is too oily for marshmallows. 

I tried using peanut butter, even homemade ones but they didn't turn out. But I get decent ones using the PB flavor from LorAnn Oils. And they're quite good covered with chocolate.

View Post

Thanks, JustKay. I'll look into the LorAnn oil. I think I'll try to make Nightscotsman's recipe in chocolate or vanilla to start. I attempted the vanilla marshmallow recipe from "Baking From My Home to Yours" last weekend, but they were not as fluffy as everyone's pictured here. Dorie's recipe uses egg whites and I don't think I beat them stiff enough.

#80 ColleenD

ColleenD
  • participating member
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:51 PM

View Post

Thanks, JustKay. I'll look into the LorAnn oil. I think I'll try to make Nightscotsman's recipe in chocolate or vanilla to start. I attempted the vanilla marshmallow recipe from "Baking From My Home to Yours" last weekend, but they were not as fluffy as everyone's pictured here. Dorie's recipe uses egg whites and I don't think I beat them stiff enough.

#81 Lumas

Lumas
  • participating member
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:05 PM

Inspired by Majas post, I decided to make strawberry marshmallows dipped in white chocolate. I ground up some flower shaped pink sprinkles and added that to the top.

Posted Image

#82 Genny

Genny
  • participating member
  • 730 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:56 AM

Have you ever had a culinary creation fail so miserably that you found yourself in a heap on the floor lauging your a** off???

I too was so enthusiastic about the marshmallows on the site that I had to dive back in. I couldn't find my usual recipe so I decided to try the favorite here. I dumped the sugars and water in the pot to boil. I lovingly pureed and strained an overripe banana and poured some water and four packets of gelatine over the top of it. I gently melted some Worthers soft caramels. My sugar reached the soft ball stage and I pulled it off the burner and poured it over my banana mixture. Using my Kitchen Aid professional mixer with the whipper attachment I started to buzz it up and put air into it. EXCEPT...it didn't get airy! The result was some kind of taffy mixture. You know when you were a kid and "pulled" the marshmallows so no air was left and you had a kind of taffy? That is what I got. That stuff sticks to EVERYTHING! It climbs up the beater, it sticks to anything it comes into contact with, it has DEAD WEIGHT! I had tasty banana glue on the bowl, 4 rubber spatulas, the counter, the floor (I tried to whip the mixture off the beater at medium high...whoops) on my shirt, on my pants, on my hands....OMG! Bwahahahahahaha. Although the flavor was great, it was an incredibly unappetizing texture. I had to let it go. I dumped the bowl of it in the sink with some scalding hot water. This morning it was still there, stuck. I was afraid to put it down the drain for fear of needing to buy a new disposal! Into the trash it went.

So, experts....what went wrong????

ROFLMAO,
Genny

#83 McAuliflower

McAuliflower
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:29 PM

Regarding bananas... adding them at the normal fruit puree step can be done with no problems.

Marshmallows not fluffing and resembling taffy is a temperature issue with the sugar solution. Your solution was brought to too high of a temperature and passed the crucial soft ball stage.

I've made amazing brown sugar banana marshmallows with hints of butterscotch due to the all brown sugar. Definitely recommend it.

#84 KrazedMom

KrazedMom
  • participating member
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:08 PM

Regarding bananas... adding them at the normal fruit puree step can be done with no problems.

Marshmallows not fluffing and resembling taffy is a temperature issue with the sugar solution.  Your solution was brought to too high of a temperature and passed the crucial  soft ball stage.

I've made amazing brown sugar banana marshmallows with hints of butterscotch due to the all brown sugar.  Definitely recommend it.

View Post

What do you do to keep the bananas from browning? Also, am I correct in assuming the adding of the fruit puree is at the very end of the process and more of a folding in procedure?

Your brown sugar banana marshmallows almost sound like Bananas Foster....maybe add some rum to them in addition to the vanilla? Instead of jello shooters, you'd have mallow shooters! LOL

#85 McAuliflower

McAuliflower
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:58 PM

Marshmallows not fluffing and resembling taffy is a temperature issue with the sugar solution.  Your solution was brought to too high of a temperature and passed the crucial  soft ball stage.

I've made amazing brown sugar banana marshmallows with hints of butterscotch due to the all brown sugar.  Definitely recommend it.

View Post

What do you do to keep the bananas from browning? Also, am I correct in assuming the adding of the fruit puree is at the very end of the process and more of a folding in procedure?

Your brown sugar banana marshmallows almost sound like Bananas Foster....maybe add some rum to them in addition to the vanilla? Instead of jello shooters, you'd have mallow shooters! LOL

View Post

No- don't fold the fruit puree in. Follow the Nightscotsman marshmallow recipe we are all so enraptured with and have the fruit in the bowl with the blooming gelatin.

And don't worry about the bananas browning- they don't.

Toasting those babies is very much like a bananas foster! I put my homemade vanilla in (the bourbon based one), which helps draw out the similarities too!

#86 KrazedMom

KrazedMom
  • participating member
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

No- don't fold the fruit puree in. Follow the Nightscotsman marshmallow recipe we are all so enraptured with and have the fruit in the bowl with the blooming gelatin.

And don't worry about the bananas browning- they don't.

Toasting those babies is very much like a bananas foster! I put my homemade vanilla in (the bourbon based one), which helps draw out the similarities too!

View Post

[/quote]
Not that I am questioning your advice (I think you are a marshmallow goddess!), but I want to understand some stuff. Why wouldn't the fruit at the beginning inhibit the marshmallow from being fluffy? Also, would adding the fruit towards the end be a problem? I am thinking of making a swirl type with layers of the fruit. Would the fruit like that cause it to degrade? I am just trying to get some info before I attempt anything to help prevent disasters. Thank you so much for helping me!

#87 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:36 AM

But isn't that exactly what Genny did? I'm reading what she wrote again, and I'm interpreting it as "She strained the banana into mixer bowl with the gelatin and then poured the sugar syrup in with the mixer whirring away."

Unless her sugar wasn't hot enough...?
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#88 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:32 AM

Not that I am questioning your advice (I think you are a marshmallow goddess!), but I want to understand some stuff. Why wouldn't the fruit at the beginning inhibit the marshmallow from being fluffy? Also, would adding the fruit towards the end be a problem? I am thinking of making a swirl type with layers of the fruit.  Would the fruit like that cause it to degrade? I am just trying to get some info before I attempt anything to help prevent disasters. Thank you so much for helping me!

View Post

the marshmallows are not like meringue. they are not relying on egg white albumen to expand for their fluffiness. thus, it doesn't matter that you add the fruit puree at the beginning because you are only relying on the temperature of the sugar syrup and the fact that your gelatin is properly hydrated to incorporate air into the mixture.

adding the fruit at the end is not like adding other types of swirls (this is my educated opinion). adding a nut paste swirl or dry swirl isn't quite the same as adding a banana puree swirl. i think a banana swirl would degrade as fast as a peeled banana being left out at room temperature.

#89 KrazedMom

KrazedMom
  • participating member
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:50 AM

the marshmallows are not like meringue.  they are not relying on egg white albumen to expand for their fluffiness.  thus, it doesn't matter that you add the fruit puree at the beginning because you are only relying on the temperature of the sugar syrup and the fact that your gelatin is properly hydrated to incorporate air into the mixture.

adding the fruit at the end is not like adding other types of swirls (this is my educated opinion).  adding a nut paste swirl or dry swirl isn't quite the same as adding a banana puree swirl.  i think a banana swirl would degrade as fast as a peeled banana being left out at room temperature.

View Post

That makes sense about the fruit. It seems like the heat from the sugar syrup probably 'cooks' the fruit enough to keep it from doing anything to destroy the marshmallow too. I haven't ventured into the fruit world yet-I am waiting for strawberries to come into season here in SoCal. I just did a batch with toasted coconut tops and bottoms and coated the sides with chocolate. They taste like an overgrown Mounds Bar YUM!

Thanks for everyone's advice!

#90 McAuliflower

McAuliflower
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:42 AM

alanamoana's advice is spot on.

I'd also recommend smaller batches than what the recipe is written as. I regularly make up the marshmallows in 1/4 sized batch: using just one packet of gelatin. This is good for if you want to flavor experiment with out ending up with pounds of weird marshmallows.

Nightscotsman's Marshmallows Vanilla Mini Batch

gelatin envelope 1
water 3 Tbs
vanilla extract 3/4 tsp
sugar 3/4 c
water 3 Tbs
corn syrup 1/4c + 1Tbs
(those sliding plunger style measuring cups work great for the corn syrup)
salt 1/8 tsp

I find that this fits into a sandwich sized plastic storage container (holds 3.4 cups) quite well, though it does make for tall marshmallows.

Nightscotsman's Marshmallows Fruit Mini Batch

gelatin envelope 1
water 2 Tbs
fruit puree 2 Tbs
vanilla extract 3/4 tsp
sugar 3/4 c
water 3 Tbs
corn syrup 1/4c + 1Tbs
(those sliding plunger style measuring cups work great for the corn syrup)
salt 1/8 tsp

I just made a mini batch of vanilla with spiced cider soda syrup stirred in. It's the perfect size to try new flavors with!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections