Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 2)

Confections

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
530 replies to this topic

#31 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 01:59 PM

...but I'm not sure what soy protien is or at what point it would be added -- to the puree at the beginning or to the fluff at the end?  Probably the beginning, unless the heat from the sugar would be problematic.  I think it must be an important ingredient, given that natural gelatin has a significant protien content.

ETA: I just had another idea.  Flax seed, when powdered and then boiled in water, becomes clear and gummy -- almost like an egg white.  Only fresh reacts this way IME -- pre-toasted doesn't work.  I wonder if when cooled somewhat, it would fluff? It does contribute a "nutty" flavor, so that has to be taken into account.

View Post

some marshmallow recipes are made using egg whites almost like an italian meringue base. i have a feeling the soy protein is used to imitate the egg whites in a vegan version. maybe it helps fluff?! don't know which products will allow for aeration.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

#32 apronstrings

apronstrings
  • participating member
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:26 PM

Posted Image[IMG]http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/1164394683/gallery_46284_3749_13680.jpg[/IMG

So here's the late post from my Thanksgiving strawberry marshmallows. I used Nightscotsman's trusty recipe ( the third time, too --I've also had success with the chocolate ones!). Dipped each corner in dark chocolate and sprinkled with pulverized freeze dried strawberries. Sorry you can't see the lovely pinkness of the confection, and I hope you can imagine how lovely their color was. Oh, the other dessert is Martha's high Hat cupcakes, miniaturized. Another wowee recipe.

#33 plk

plk
  • participating member
  • 296 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:16 PM

Okay, results: I tried two batches -- one regular strawberry and one vegan raspberry, using flax goo as the gelling agent in the vegan batch. I tried the flax alone, rather than including other gel substitutes, because 1) I had it on hand and 2) I wanted to rule it out as a possible solution in itself.

The regular ones turned out perfectly -- very airy; just as expected. The flax gel, before whipping it, looks and feels exactly like snot. After whipping, it increased in volume and foamed, but only by about 1.5x original volume. It does retain the gelatinous texture, even after being combined with the raspberry puree. After adding the superheated sugar syrup, it did seem to increase a bit more, but the flax gel did not set the air bubbles. I poured it out on to an oiled half sheet, but it barely covered the whole bottom at approximately the same thickness of the original puree, so I moved the aluminum foil up so that it would only cover half of the half-sheet. It's very sticky, but it doesn't look like it will harden up. Even if it does, it will be more of a slightly foamy fruit gel than a marshmallow.

Discussion: Boiled flax meal may help set up marshmallow batter, but it will by no means do it alone. This definitely calls for something much stronger.

#34 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:21 PM

What about agar agar as teh industrial version that uses carrageen as well ?Its worth a try.You can find agar agar almost in every health store ( vitamine cottage , wild oats and probably whole foods I think )
Vanessa

#35 plk

plk
  • participating member
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:54 PM

Still on the vegan marshmallow quest -- I noticed today my local grocery carries acacia powder and tragacanth gum (powdered), so I picked up two ounces of acacia and one ounce of tragacanth gum. They did not, unfortunately, have any agar agar or carrageen. Any advice on how to use these two gums as a substitute for gelatin?

#36 JLam

JLam
  • participating member
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:17 PM

I was wondering about citrus flavored marshmallows, like lemon or lime.

Do you think it would be OK to add lime or lemon juice to the water and gelatin at the beginning of the recipe (in place of the vanilla)? Or would the acid screw things up?
"Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit." -- Anthony Bourdain

Promote skepticism and critical thinking. www.randi.org

#37 Sararwelch

Sararwelch
  • participating member
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:44 PM

Do you think it would be OK to add lime or lemon juice to the water and gelatin at the beginning of the recipe (in place of the vanilla)?  Or would the acid screw things up?

View Post

I was thinking that an extract or citrus oil might work best, but I haven't tried it yet. I made Ina Garten's toasted coconut marshmallows last week and they turned out great.

#38 Mette

Mette
  • participating member
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:40 AM

Do you think it would be OK to add lime or lemon juice to the water and gelatin at the beginning of the recipe (in place of the vanilla)?  Or would the acid screw things up?

View Post

I did a lemon batch a while back (see this post for substitutions). They were excellent. I think grapefruit would work really well, too. Never got round to orange :biggrin:

The acid has not been a problem

have fun

#39 McAuliflower

McAuliflower
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:16 AM

I was wondering if its possible use some kinda of liquor ( under 30 ) in marshmallow batter.Would that prevent the batter from setting?

I've made bourbon marshmallows with success.
I've also replaced part of the corn syrup with honey successfully too.

Do you think it would be OK to add lime or lemon juice to the water and gelatin at the beginning of the recipe (in place of the vanilla)? Or would the acid screw things up?

I've tended to add my flavors (alcohols, essential oils, extracts) at the end of the recipe- after the solution is whipped up and fluffy. Partly because I haven't wanted them exposed to heat. Purees I add as the recipe directs.

I've made lovely lemon marshmallows (for use as the tamago in my dessert sushi). A lemon poppyseed marshmallow is fun to make as well.
"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch." --JB
Brownie Points- Culinary Notebook

#40 Joni

Joni
  • participating member
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:25 AM

Here they are my creme de menthe chocolate covered marhsmallows, my husband will be happy :wub:

View Post

[/quote]

How much creme de menthe did you add? And when did you add it? Love the picture! Oh..and how did you get them coated so well with the chocolate???!!

#41 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:27 PM

[quote name='Joni' date='Dec 13 2006, 09:25 AM']
Here they are my creme de menthe chocolate covered marhsmallows, my husband will be happy :wub:

View Post

[/quote]

How much creme de menthe did you add? And when did you add it? Love the picture! Oh..and how did you get them coated so well with the chocolate???!!

View Post

[/quote]

Thank you Joni, I have used 1/2 cup of creme de menthe and add a little bit of peppermint oil , I used the same recipe on this thread for the strawberry ones , same method just substituted the 1/2 cup of strawberry puree with the 1/2 cup of cremem de menthe, I even add little more of gelatine , because I was afraid the batter wouldnt firm up , but that was just fine.Use same quantity as recipe calls for ( under egullet recipe strawberry marshmallows )
The chocolate I used has a high cocoa butter contenent so its more fluid , easyer to coat things like that .
Vanessa

#42 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:19 AM

What about agar agar as teh industrial version that uses carrageen as well ?Its worth a try.You can find agar agar almost in every health store ( vitamine cottage , wild oats  and probably whole foods I think )

View Post

I don't know about carrageenan, but I am very sure someone tried Agar-agar already.

I think it was Pam R, because kosher gelatin's hard to find or was HTF, and it wasn't successful--read the earlier pages to find out more.
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#43 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,837 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:14 PM

I did try it - a few times and agar didn't work for me. If somebody else can make it work - let me know how! :laugh:

#44 plk

plk
  • participating member
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 03:07 PM

I've read that you have to actually simmer the water-agar solution for 5-10 minutes, not just mix with water.

Aha, here's a recipe that claims success: http://www.recipezaar.com/78524

The relevant comments are on the right-hand column, not in the recipe itself: "You need to soften the agar in cold water and then cook it (simmer) for about 10 minutes for flakes, 5 minutes for powder. The resulting liquid should be clear."

I imagine the acacia powder should be treated in the same way?

#45 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 03:27 PM

Agar-agar does need to be heated/boiled (can't remember the exact temp) or it won't set.

If you boil it for 5-10 minutes, I do know you'll make a very very hard jelly.
May

#46 plk

plk
  • participating member
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 04:17 PM

The vegan marshmallows were a bust. I boiled agar agar, acacia powder, and tragacanth gum together until very thick and gelatinous. I tried adding it at the beginning with the strawberry puree, and then when I could tell that wasn't going to get beyond a foamy gel, and certainly nowhere near the appearance of the normal fluff, added more after the sugar had been incorporated. That seemed to thicken it slightly, but it didn't fluff up no matter how long the mixer ran. So, no idea how the commercial vegan marshmallow makers do it.

#47 foodie3

foodie3
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:58 AM

View Post

I did a lemon batch a while back (see this post for substitutions). They were excellent. I think grapefruit would work really well, too. Never got round to orange :biggrin:

The acid has not been a problem

have fun

View Post

thank you, mette!
i just made a batch with lemon juice, very pleasant flavor and a nice light texture.

#48 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:30 PM

The vegan marshmallows were a bust.  I boiled agar agar, acacia powder, and tragacanth gum together until very thick and gelatinous. I tried adding it at the beginning with the strawberry puree, and then when I could tell that wasn't going to get beyond a foamy gel, and certainly nowhere near the appearance of the normal fluff, added more after the sugar had been incorporated.  That seemed to thicken it slightly, but it didn't fluff up no matter how long the mixer ran.  So, no idea how the commercial vegan marshmallow makers do it.

View Post

I'm going to post a marshmallow recipe here from a candy formulary book with paraphrased directions. It should be suitable for a vegan diet, but I'm not quite sure where you get soy albumin. You might want to scale down a bit.

Agar-agar 1.75 lbs
water 80 lbs
sugar 50 lbs
corn syrup 25 lbs
invert sugar (nulomoline) 25 lbs
soy albumin 1.5 lbs
flavour to suit

soak agar in all of water for 1 hour or longer. place in pot and bring to a boil. add sugar, corn syrup and invert sugar and cook to 222 F. Cool to 180 F.

place in beater, add soy albumin and beat until light. Spread out as for regular marshmallow, sprinkle with sugar or dessicated coconut, cut when firm and roll in more sugar or coconut.

#49 plk

plk
  • participating member
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 02:16 PM

Wow, thanks! The soy albumin must be what is crypically referred to as "soy protien" on the marshmallows sold through veganessentials. Also, I bet that boiling the agar and sugar together rather than separately, as I had been doing it, makes a difference.

#50 McAuliflower

McAuliflower
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:09 PM

This Christmas I made a Marshmallow Tasting Kit composed of four flavors: Peppermint Swirl, Lemon Ginger, Black Sesame, and Green Tea with Azuki Bean. This kit afforded the opportunity to use some souvenir pastes from my trip to Japan this summer. It also served as a good opportunity to solidify my marshmallow flavoring techniques using the much loved Nightscotsman marshmallow recipe.

Peppermint Swirls
Posted Image
Flavoring: I used peppermint essential oil to flavor this batch. Making a half batch of the Nightscotsman recipe, I added two drops of oil at minute 7 of the whip up step. I stopped the mixer one minute later to taste, and added one more drop.

Coloring: Making the peppermint swirl marshmallows was my first experience swirling in food coloring, a technique I've seen here in this thread. I simply dotted on several applications of food coloring to the top surface of the just poured marshmallows and swirled immediately with a toothpick. The swirls exhibit themselves beautifully through the final dusting of the marshmallows- I was pleasantly surprised by this.

Spoons: I also discovered a fun gift making idea with this batch when cleaning up the bowl after pouring the marshmallows: making Peppermint Spoons. Scooping up the fresh remnants of the fluff into cute little teaspoons creates a flavored stir in that could be gifted to flavor coffee, tea, or hot chocolates.

Lemon Ginger Clouds
Posted Image
Flavoring: I added a yolk sized nob of ground up crystallized ginger to the bowl before the hot sugar solution was added. This would allow a touch of heat contact to help bloom the flavor. The small chunks of ginger didn't inhibit the volume of the marshmallows. Like the peppermint swirls, I also used essential oil, lemon, added before the whipping was done. This allowed me to add more lemon as needed towards the end of the beating. These marshmallows are extremely attractive to the mouth. I think spooning the fluff, especially if it had double the flavoring, could create a instant tea effect with the spoon swirled through hot water.

Coloring: I double colored this batch, with yellow added at minute 8 of beating, and also swirling in additional yellow drops in the manner of coloring the peppermint swirls.

Black Sesame
Posted Image
Flavoring and Coloring: in Japan I picked up a small jar of smooth ground black sesame paste. Remembering cautions in this thread about the presence of fat inhibiting the volume of the marshmallow mixture, I didn't add this paste until the very end of the process. The swirl technique used to color the peppermints, adds color to just the top layer of the marshmallow. I wanted the sesame paste to be present deeper in the marshmallow, so I poured half of the marshmallow fluff, unflavored, into the prepared pan, poured the heated contents of the black sesame paste jar over the marshmallow and then poured the rest of the fluff on top. Having the sesame paste heated allowed it to flow out easily. I then vigorously swirled the layers with a knife, bringing the black layering up to the top of the marshmallow.

The aesthetics of the black marshmallows add a nice contrast to the other more traditional colors. They strike me as coloring suitable for Halloween adventures... kind of cadaverish.

The flavor is wonderful- with the black sesame paste coming through nicely in this sweet context. In fact it seems to strike most people as tasting like peanut butter.

Green Tea with Azuki Bean Paste
Posted Image
Flavoring: This flavor set was to indulge my memories of Japanese treats, and help show the ever present flavor pairing of green tea with azuki bean to my family. This was a double batch of marshmallows, with a layer of green tea poured first and topped with the azuki bean layer. To flavor the tea layer I added about two teaspoons of matcha to a half batch of marshmallows between minutes 6 and 8 of whipping. I also added matcha powder to the marshmallow dusting powder.

The azuki bean layer was flavored with a jar of bean paste. I doubled the recipe amount quoted for fruit puree with no ill affect to the marshmallow volume. The bean paste delicately blushed the marshmallow mix and subtly flavored the fluff with a malty toasted flavor. Even with the doubling, this flavor was very quiet. The green tea flavor comes through very well.

Once again, an amazing recipe that is quite open to alterations and additions!

#51 lenabo

lenabo
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:31 PM

Guys, please, help!

May be it was already discussed here, but it is difficult for me to read so much in English (I tried to find out but with no sucsess). In this great recipe http://recipes.egull...cipes/r240.html

4 envelopes gelatin - how much in gramms?

I was ready to do it (if to be honest I even got good a electric mixer ;)), but stooped with this quantity of gelatin...
I love to decorate cakes and you may see my cakes here: http://foto.mail.ru/mail/bonya_l/1

#52 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:43 AM

28 grams
Vanessa

#53 lenabo

lenabo
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:18 PM

Thanks a lot, Desiderio!!! :wub: :rolleyes: :biggrin:
I love to decorate cakes and you may see my cakes here: http://foto.mail.ru/mail/bonya_l/1

#54 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:30 PM

Most welcome Lenabo :biggrin: :smile: :wink:
Vanessa

#55 McAuliflower

McAuliflower
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:10 PM

Everyone wants me to do chocolate ones, which I've largely side-stepped.

I'm thinking of simmering a cocoa powder and water solution to drizzle in towards the end of the whip?

View Post

My recent experimentation with black sesame paste marshmallows gave me the idea to add the chocolate at the end of mixing to minimize disruption of the marshmallow’s volume during whipping.

Here are the results of making two variations of chocolate marshmallows.
Posted Image

Pictured on the left is a basic vanilla marshmallow recipe.

The middle is the basic vanilla marshmallow recipe with the dissolved cocoa added after whipping; swirled in.

The right hand marshmallow is the chocolate variation suggested in the strawberry marshmallow recipe, which takes away 2/3 of the water used to bloom the gelatin and uses it to dissolve an equal amount of cocoa powder (by volume) which is all then added to the gelatin in the mixing bowl before the heated sugar syrup is added. Essentially, the cocoa added before the whipping.

The decrease in marshmallow volume is quite apparent when dissolved cocoa is added at the beginning of the whipping step.

The cocoa flavor of the swirled marshmallow is seems more acute though both chocolate marshmallows contain the same amount of cocoa.

And the swirl marshmallows make killer striped smores (duh!). :wub:

#56 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:36 AM

I wonder if you can do the same thing with melted chocolate.

But first, I shall try the cocoa thing with Ghirardelli's sweet ground chocolate.
May

#57 ColleenD

ColleenD
  • participating member
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:26 AM

I saw someone had asked about making peanut butter marshmallows, but didn't see any replies. Back in the fall, I ate at a restaurant in NYC and some peanut butter marshmallows with a toasted panko crust came with my check. They were amazing!

I didn't find any recipes when I googled this, but discovered that there is a peanut butter extract by Watkins--has anyone tried this? Or is there another way to get the peanut flavor--I am assuming real peanut butter is too oily for marshmallows.

The Watkins stuff looks like it is only on line. It's kind of a bummer because it costs more to ship than the price of the extract.

#58 lenabo

lenabo
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:21 AM

McAuliflower - looks so great!

Oh, I did something wrong with sroberry marshmallo :(

1. I used homemade extinguished (?) invert syrop with citric acid instead of corn cyrop (and MM is too sour and a bit bitter).

2. And it is was too... fluid may be. I beat it for 25 minutes in the stand mixer and ~ 10 minutes with the hand one.

What consistence shoud be befor you pour it on the sheet? For how long you beat it?

I'm going to order the corn syrop and do this again couse I feell it should be great!

#59 Joni

Joni
  • participating member
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:50 PM

I'm thinking of simmering a cocoa powder and water solution to drizzle in towards the end of the whip?

View Post

[/quote]

What was your ratio of water and cocoa that you swirled in? Thanks!

#60 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:57 PM

McAuliflower - looks so great!

Oh, I did something wrong with sroberry marshmallo :(

1. I used homemade extinguished (?) invert syrop with  citric acid instead of corn cyrop (and MM is too sour and a bit bitter).

2. And it is was too...  fluid may be. I beat it for 25 minutes in the stand mixer and ~ 10 minutes with the hand one.

What consistence shoud be befor you pour it on the sheet? For how long you beat it?

I'm going to order the corn syrop and do this again couse I feell it should be great!

View Post

Usually I only beat it for 10 minutes in the electric mixer, and the consistency is sticky , still pourable but you need to work fast .I am sure if you sue just corn syrup or glucose it should work just fine.
Vanessa

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections