Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 2)

Confections

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
530 replies to this topic

#511 patris

patris
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:05 AM

Melt them with some butter and make upmarket rice cereal treats?
Patty

#512 Natalie Suwanprakorn

Natalie Suwanprakorn
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:09 PM

Hi!
This is just what I'm looking for -- when do you add the inclusions of nuts, etc? At the end of the whipping?

Thanks,
Natalie

#513 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

You can easily add a bit of alcohol right at the end.
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#514 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

Hi Patty! Have you had success making rice krispie treats with homemade marshmallows? I found the moisture content was too high and they tasted stale very quickly.
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#515 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

Hi!
This is just what I'm looking for -- when do you add the inclusions of nuts, etc? At the end of the whipping?

Thanks,
Natalie

Yes, right at the end. Mix just enough to evenly distribute.

#516 dhardy123

dhardy123
  • participating member
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

Have you had success making rice krispie treats with homemade marshmallows? I found the moisture content was too high and they tasted stale very quickly.

While its not marshmallows per se, the "Baked" guys do a rice krispie treat using sugar, water and corn syrup that works just like marshmallow sticking the rice krispies together

#517 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

I've only ever used this recipe to spread in a pan and let set up overnight, and cut into squares or shapes.

I saw a marshmallow twist pop on Facebook and I want to replicate it. It looked as if the marshmallow was piped in straight rows on a silpat (alternating colors or flavors) and then when set, twisted around a lollipop stick. The rows were an even thickness, which makes me think that they used a large, open tip (e.g., an Ateco 8 or 9 maybe) to pipe them

Is it really just that easy? It is so sticky after beating it, that I cannot imagine being able to wrestle it into a pastry bag and then piping it out. Has anyone done this? Is there something different you have to do to the recipe, or will it work to pipe without any adjustments?

ETA: correct typos

Edited by JeanneCake, 23 January 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#518 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,779 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

I have this vague memory from a couple of years ago when confectionery partner Barbara and I made green marshmallow lollipops for St. Patrick's and after the main slab had been cut out and assembled, Barbara took the slightly raggy cut-off ends and wrapped them around the sticks. It worked quite well.

(That was in my marshmallow craze period. :raz: )
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#519 gap

gap
  • participating member
  • 503 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

Is it really just that easy? It is so sticky after beating it, that I cannot imagine being able to wrestle it into a pastry bag and then piping it out. Has anyone done this? Is there something different you have to do to the recipe, or will it work to pipe without any adjustments?

A trick we used was to make a tube of baking paper (non stick type) around, say, a wooden spoon handle and sticky-tape it together so it stays in a tube shape. Then pipe the marshmallow into that, let it set and remove the baking paper.

#520 cookingofjoy

cookingofjoy
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

I've not ever made a marshmallow pop, but I did do little rabbit "peeps", and piping a line should be fine. The peeps were a little bit of a pain for the ears and tail, but piping a line would be no problem. I did need a fairly firm marshmallow, though. My first try using a Martha Stewart recipe for piping wasn't quite firm enough and my rabbits flattened into little trilobites :) The second go around, I used nightscotsman's and it worked great!

#521 tikidoc

tikidoc
  • participating member
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:53 AM

I've only ever made marshmallows in pans but I remember seeing a Good Eats episode on marshmallows when Browm piped them in rows, then snipped them with scissors to make mini marshmallows for use in hot drinks and it did not look hard. As I remember, he used a ziplock bag with the tip cut off, and even with, that they looked pretty even. I would expect someone good with a piping bag could make them very even.

#522 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

Gourmet Foods Vancouver is a new customer of mine and they made a short video of me making our Cocoa Mallow marshmallows. I thought you might like to watch it.
I've got to say it's amazing the wonders they do when editing. :)

#523 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

That's great Tina! Thanks for posting it.

Love that mixer - "I don't need another kitchen toy" she keeps repeating to herself!!!

#524 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,779 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

Really enjoyed watching your video. And ditto for the mixer. :smile:
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#525 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

Thanks Ladies! I love my Bosch mixer(s). I actually have 3 now. Yikes! We work them to the bone and the only problems I've had are breaking the cookie paddles, which are quickly replaced under warranty, and minor problems with a couple of the metal hubs. I think it may be due to slight warping because they get so hot when we're using them as well as in the sanitizer. We buy them at http://healthykitchens.com/ and they have fantastic customer service. My assistant loves them enough that she bought her own for home. :)

#526 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

I loved this! Thank you for sharing. :wub:

And for teaching me (without knowing it!) that I am beating my marshmallows too much!

I noticed the corn syrup is not clear (corn syrup here is usually Karo brand, and the red label variety is clear); it looks almost honey colored....

Nice job! :biggrin:

#527 RobertM

RobertM
  • participating member
  • 477 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

mmmm, methinks there is a Bosch mixer in my future....and a Thermomix.....and.....

#528 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

I do make marshmallow in my thermomix. I've done it twice in the past week. I really, really, really don't need another kitchen toy - really!

#529 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

I loved this! Thank you for sharing. :wub:

And for teaching me (without knowing it!) that I am beating my marshmallows too much!

I noticed the corn syrup is not clear (corn syrup here is usually Karo brand, and the red label variety is clear); it looks almost honey colored....

Nice job! :biggrin:

Thanks! Glad I could help. :) I use golden corn syrup. I like the flavour better.

#530 lizztwozee

lizztwozee
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

What's your secret for cutting them so straight? I saw a tape measure in there somewhere! Do you follow the blade, or the edge of the pan with your eye when cutting?
Lizz

---
"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
-Wayne Gretzky

#531 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

I like to use a tape measure and then keep my eye on the spot as my blade heads towards it and my assistant likes to use a quilting ruler. A few months ago I bought a multi-wheel cutter that works a treat although I chose not to use it for the video. http://www.jbprince....-cutter-rod.asp BTW the price listed is for the rod only. The wheels are purchased individually.

[Moderator note: This topic continues here, Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 3)]

Edited by Mjx, 03 August 2014 - 05:44 AM.
Host note added.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections