Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Mellow, The Smart Sous-Vide Robot

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 lachlanmoss

lachlanmoss
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:29 PM

And what is it that has been said above that leads you to believe that we don't know about PIDs?

The fact that the OP mentioned a refrigerator switch (clearly not a PID)  and no-one made any effort to tell him he could do better than a thermostat. We may have known but OP didn't.

#62 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:54 AM

The fact that the OP mentioned a refrigerator switch (clearly not a PID)  and no-one made any effort to tell him he could do better than a thermostat. We may have known but OP didn't.

Perhaps then in future you could use the quote function on the appropriate post (as I am doing now) or address the poster by name to avoid confusion. Kerry Beal wasn't the only one taken aback by your remark suggesting that this community was unfamiliar with PIDs. Welcome to eG. We are a friendly community on the whole but pridefully protective of our communal expertise.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#63 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:05 AM

Thank you for pointing this out. Sometimes it takes time for the members here to jump in and respond.

Just for your information, as you are new here, there is a huge reservoir of sous vide related discussions in this Forum on any topic you can think of. The posts must numbered well over a 100,000 including from many very well known  authors and manufacturers.

Regarding switching refrigerators, many inexpensive aquarium temperature controllers can do that by incorporating a slight time delay for the refrigerant to equalize.

The Mellow circulator mentioned above will not need that because the cooling is done using a solid state Peltier device, not a mechanical compressor.

dcarch

#64 Austin Davis

Austin Davis
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

So I tired things out...mixed results. The crock pot wasnt really able to heat the water fast enough for my liking. I found that it took nearly 1 hour to get temperatures up in the water bath...let alone to get the meat up to temperature.  I suspect I might have better success by using a heating stick as my heating source...but this was a very cumbersome process.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist