Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Need Help: Custard-filled Cake?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mayberry Rebel

Mayberry Rebel
  • general member
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

Several years ago (between 2009 and 2011), I found a recipe in Parade Magazine, but I've since lost the original clipping and can't recall the name of the recipe to look it up again. I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide in helping me find this recipe again, or turning me on to something similar.

Here's what I remember: It was a pretty simple recipe, the dough involved crushed almonds (which I recall because I had to smash sliced almonds with a hammer) and was split into two portions, flattened out and refrigerated while I prepared a stove top custard for the filling. The whole thing baked up very solid, with the custard baking into the dough. The dish's name, listed in the article, wasn't English, if I'm recalling properly.

Anyone who can help will earn my eternal gratitude. Thank you very much.

#2 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

Was it Gateau Basque? Some recipes add cherries or cherry jam to the usual almond pastry and custard filling.

#3 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:06 PM

Was it Gateau Basque? Some recipes add cherries or cherry jam to the usual almond pastry and custard filling.

That's what I thought of. Like this? http://www.foodandwi...nd-custard-tart

#4 Mayberry Rebel

Mayberry Rebel
  • general member
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:17 AM

That was absolutely it! Gateau Basque. Thank you a ton. This has been driving me crazy for some time now.

Edited by Mayberry Rebel, 18 April 2014 - 12:21 AM.

• SylviaLovegren likes this

#5 ChrisZ

ChrisZ
  • participating member
  • 424 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide in helping me find this recipe again, or turning me on to something similar.

It's great that you've found your answer.

For something similar, have a look at the German "Bienenstich" - or "Bee sting" to use the translated name.  It's one of my favourite cakes.  
It's a yeast cake, cut in half and filled generously with custard cream, and the top is covered with a honey-almond glaze.  I assume the honey is where the "bee sting" name comes from.  The crunch of the toasted almond flakes is really special!  And the flavours are great - yeasty dough, creamy custard and the sweet honey almonds.

You can use any yeast bun dough, for example a hot cross bun recipe, and bake it like a cake.  But there are lots of recipes online.