Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

A Tea Bread Thank You

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Porthos

Porthos
  • participating member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

Last year Anna N posted her recipe for Tea Bread. It appealed to me because of the fact that vegans could eat this as a dessert. I've been cooking for 48 years but I am not much of a baker. My grandmother's baking powder biscuits, our family-recipe brownies, but nothing serious.

I am pleased with the baby steps I have been able to make because of this recipe, I have adapted it to be made without the overnight soak, and measure the dry ingredients by weight. I am comfortable with choosing different dried fruits and even adding seasonings to complement certain fruits. I bake them to be bar cookies.  So to Anna and everyone else that has the patience to help neophytes in baking, I say thank you.

Here is this week's effort - Raisin-Cranberry Tea Bread:

IMAG0438.jpg

• janeer and Blether like this

Porthos Potwatcher
The Unrelenting Carnivore
"If every pork chop was perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs." (source unknown)
Customer to clerk in a clothing store, "Do you have these in a size for people who actually eat?"

#2 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,591 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

Last year Anna N posted her recipe for Tea Bread. It appealed to me because of the fact that vegans could eat this as a dessert. I've been cooking for 48 years but I am not much of a baker. My grandmother's baking powder biscuits, our family-recipe brownies, but nothing serious.

I am pleased with the baby steps I have been able to make because of this recipe, I have adapted it to be made without the overnight soak, and measure the dry ingredients by weight. I am comfortable with choosing different dried fruits and even adding seasonings to complement certain fruits. I bake them to be bar cookies.  So to Anna and everyone else that has the patience to help neophytes in baking, I say thank you.

Here is this week's effort - Raisin-Cranberry Tea Bread:

attachicon.gifIMAG0438.jpg

Porthos

I am so very happy for you but cannot take credit. My sister in England shared the recipe with me! And I rather doubt anyone can truly trace its origins. But the sharing is what really counts and surely what eGullet is really all about. And we all have Steven Shaw and Jason Perlow to thank for that. RIP Steven.
  • Smithy and Porthos like this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog