Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Recipe for uttapam wanted

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Woods

Woods
  • participating member
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Is there a recipe for uttapam that doesn't use rice in the batter? I remember having them in D.C. that were thicker and denser than most of the recipes I see. It seemed as it the batter was made only of dals. The vegetables were mixed into the batter rather on top. Maybe it was the restaurants version? Thanks.

#2 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

If you google dal uttapam there seem to be several recipes without rice. Hope you find one you like!

• Woods likes this

#3 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

Is there a recipe for uttapam that doesn't use rice in the batter? I remember having them in D.C. that were thicker and denser than most of the recipes I see. It seemed as it the batter was made only of dals. The vegetables were mixed into the batter rather on top. Maybe it was the restaurants version? Thanks.

Where in DC did you have them?

#4 Woods

Woods
  • participating member
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:57 AM

I had them at Woodlands in Takoma Park.

#5 Tiya Saha

Tiya Saha
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:52 PM

you can make uttapam with semolina & bread mixture also, wherein you have to soak the 1 cup semolina for atleast 02 hrs n than can put 03 to 04 slice of breads & 02 tbs curd to it just before making uttapam, can add veggies also to it. it tastes gud, try it.

#6 leilani86

leilani86
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

Hi there! My mum makes uttapam from dosa batter. You can usually get a mixture from an asian food store. She usually mixes into the batter chopped tomatoes, chopped red onions, chopped green chillies and chopped coriander (aka cilantro). Hope this helps!

• Woods likes this