Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Micro-barrel char

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

Actually from a freshly dumped bourbon barrel you can get a gallon or two of decent proofed (80-90 pf ) bourbon with a water wash.

#32 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 738 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

Actually from a freshly dumped bourbon barrel you can get a gallon or two of decent proofed (80-90 pf ) bourbon with a water wash.

Indeed so. Jim Beam now uses a process to pull bourbon left in the barrel and blends it with 6yo bourbon to make Devil's Cut.

I seem to recall that Jack Daniels is now building a facility to wash barrels and pull residual whiskey out to recover before shipping the barrels off to their next destination but can't find that report to confirm at the moment.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#33 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

I recall last year when one distiller was asked if the wash would affect the scotch being produced with his used barrels responded with f..k em!

#34 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 738 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

I recall last year when one distiller was asked if the wash would affect the scotch being produced with his used barrels responded with f..k em!

Ah yes, that jogged my memory! It was Makers Mark, owned by Beam (and soon to be Suntory), and not Jack Daniels who recently started rinsing barrels (although JD may do it too for all I know) and it was master distiller Fred Noe who was reported to have said that.

http://chuckcowdery....blic-purse.html
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2