Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cooking from "My Paris Kitchen"

Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#91 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

Tonight I did the Indian Cheese Bread.  As I said in the dinner thread, after much agita I got four good ones out of six, so not too bad.  I used ghee rather than go to the trouble of clarifying butter.  It is so inexpensive and available, so I figured why not? 

med_gallery_3331_114_1381.jpg

My first two were the burned ones upper right and upper middle.  The rest looked like the other two – nicely toasted and puffed with just a couple of charred areas.  As you can see, we nibbled at the non-charred edges of one of the ‘bad’ ones.  My problem with the recipe is an old one with me.  Whenever a recipe calls for heating up an iron skillet on high heat until it is screaming hot and then cooking something in it, I should know better.  It just doesn’t work for me.  I have wonderful, properly seasoned, old skillets (one of them belonged to my greatgrandmother – it is probably 100 years old).  But I put anything in a screaming hot skillet and it pours smoke and instantly carbonizes.  It triggers my asthma and I start coughing and then I have smoke, burned food and a skillet with half a hamburger welded to it to deal with.  Then I start all over again at a lower heat in a new pan!  So that’s what happened tonight :angry: .  I figured, “here I am in the 21st century in the United States of America – I’m using a fricken non-stick pan on medium high heat.”  They were perfect.  :rolleyes:

I took David’s idea and brushed them with garlic infused warm ghee as they came out of the pan.  I ended up mistiming dinner a bit and had to heat them up in my toaster oven for dinner.  I just set them on a rack and used the ‘toaster’ function.  It worked great and tasted every bit as good as the one right out of the pan.  I have two refrigerated and will toast them tomorrow and report back on how well they ‘held’.  I’d love to make these for company, but I know I wouldn’t want to do it at the last minute.  So I hope they hold up.  I actually liked the smooth, bland cheese in them.  With the dough so soft you’d have to use something pretty creamy – Brie or Camembert, I guess.  Any other ideas?  Mr. Kim wants me to try bleu with a black pepper infused honey drizzle.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook