Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

3D chocolate molds: getting a clean seam

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HeatherAvila

HeatherAvila
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

Anyone have ideas on how to get a clean edge on a two-part 3D hollow chocolate mold (it's an egg)? I've tried:

- clipping the two mold halves together to dry while sealed

- letting two mold halved dry separately then heating the edges, either with a heat gun or by putting them on a warmed half-sheet pan

No matter what I do, the edges are not seamless.

Help!

Thanks,

Heather

#2 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,416 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

Depending on the mold itself it is often very difficult to get a seamless mold.  Can you attach a picture of the mold?

#3 HeatherAvila

HeatherAvila
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:34 AM

I'm not at my kitchen right now, but it's one of the Pavoni thermoformed large egg mold; more thin clear plastic mold, which I'm assuming is part of the challenge. Link to photo of final product here: http://www.homechoco...oulds/KT70.html

Heather

#4 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,416 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

Could you pour chocolate in half of it - clip together - then spin to distribute chocolate?

#5 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

I work with chocolate and molds every day, right now I'm winding down my Easter bunny/egg production.

Here are a few ideas on molds in general:

-I loathe, hate, detest, want to do terrible things to the people who make/sell molds where you have to "glue" or melt the halves together again.  It's a cheap cop-out, it's sloppy, and the joint is weak and prone to cracking or failing once packaged.  Ironically enough, Callebaut sells these molds, and I have a pictorial on another website showing how I band-saw the mold in half, cut some bottoms into it, and drill some locating holes into it to make it into a practical, two piece, clip together mold.  I've done this with about half a dozen molds now.

-Not much of a fan with the cheap thermo-formed molds, but they do work well for the first dozen or so times until the plastic cracks and fatigues.  Bear in mind that you will always get a rougher seam with these, because the plastic is not capable of bending sharp 90 degree or even sharper angles--this is usually where the the side of the mold meets the lip of the mold, and the effect is doubled when both sides of the mold are clipped together.

-Even with the best rigid molds you will still get  "flash" or minute feather edges of chocolate leaking out of the seam, regardless of how many clips you use.  This is easily trimmed off with a sharp, cold knife.

#6 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,416 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:18 AM

Tell us how you really feel!  

With you 100%

#7 HeatherAvila

HeatherAvila
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

Hi Kerry,

Don't know why I didn't think of that! Thanks for the advice; will try - 

Heather

#8 AnythingButPlainChocolate

AnythingButPlainChocolate
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:13 AM

I've used some of the Parvoni moulds (they are sexy, such a shame they don't come in poly c).  I trim off the edges and clip them as a spinning mould as suggested.  I use bulldog clips rather than my spinning mould clips to try and keep the plastic as undamaged as I can.

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

#9 Alleguede

Alleguede
  • participating member
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

Hi,

Maybe this can help a little,

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=YqDHvt1y7gA

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate