Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#211 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 7,945 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:00 PM

attachicon.gifimage.jpg
Another repeat. Dorie Greenspan's caramel crunch bars. They went over very well the first time.

image.jpg

Apparently they have good memories -- but short!
  • Toliver, demiglace, emmalish and 4 others like this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Never call a stomach a tummy without good reason.” William Strunk Jr., The Elements of Style

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#212 Anna N

Anna N
  • 7,945 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:02 AM

image.jpg

Back in the saddle again. These are Lime Bees and I have either emmalish or Andi or perhaps both to thank for the inspiration. Both are currently scratching their heads saying that they have nothing like that name that in their recipe files.

You see I wanted to make Orange Creamsicle Cookies but I was completely out of oranges and decided to use limes instead. I asked Kerry Beal a question about using the vanilla. She said I should use it but that I couldn't call them Orange Creamsicle cookies if I made them with lime. I thought she was being a bit pedantic. But when I asked the question about the vanilla I had dictated it to my email and my question had been interpreted as "if I make bees do I need vanilla"? Kerry claimed she never made bees! And since she felt so strongly that I could not call them Orange Creamsicle Cookies I renamed them Lime Bees.

I don't really care what anybody calls them as they are quite delicious. Next time perhaps I will have oranges and can be better behaved about the whole thing.
  • Toliver, Smithy, MelissaH and 2 others like this

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Never call a stomach a tummy without good reason.” William Strunk Jr., The Elements of Style

My 2004 eG Blog

#213 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 7,410 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:16 AM

personally Id take the Lime over the Orange.

#214 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,765 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:37 AM

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Back in the saddle again. These are Lime Bees and I have either emmalish or Andi or perhaps both to thank for the inspiration. Both are currently scratching their heads saying that they have nothing like that name that in their recipe files.

You see I wanted to make Orange Creamsicle Cookies but I was completely out of oranges and decided to use limes instead. I asked Kerry Beal a question about using the vanilla. She said I should use it but that I couldn't call them Orange Creamsicle cookies if I made them with lime. I thought she was being a bit pedantic. But when I asked the question about the vanilla I had dictated it to my email and my question had been interpreted as "if I make bees do I need vanilla"? Kerry claimed she never made bees! And since she felt so strongly that I could not call them Orange Creamsicle Cookies I renamed them Lime Bees.

I don't really care what anybody calls them as they are quite delicious. Next time perhaps I will have oranges and can be better behaved about the whole thing.

I've posted this before but I made the same cookies for a 4th of July BBQ party and used lemon rind instead of the orange. They were quite the hit at the party... very "summery".

I am awed, though, that you made them with lime. I've been thinking about doing the same but all I can find in my local grocery stores are tiny little limes and could only think about how many limes I'd have to grate to get the 2 tablespoons needed for the recipe.  :shock:  :biggrin:

Given your success, I may try at least a half lime/half lemon mixture to see how that would turn out.

Thanks for posting your experience. They look delicious!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#215 Anna N

Anna N
  • 7,945 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:47 AM

I've posted this before but I made the same cookies for a 4th of July BBQ party and used lemon rind instead of the orange. They were quite the hit at the party... very "summery".
I am awed, though, that you made them with lime. I've been thinking about doing the same but all I can find in my local grocery stores are tiny little limes and could only think about how many limes I'd have to grate to get the 2 tablespoons needed for the recipe.  :shock:  :biggrin:
Given your success, I may try at least a half lime/half lemon mixture to see how that would turn out.
Thanks for posting your experience. They look delicious!

2 tablespoons? Hell I only used two limes and rather puny ones they were too! But I did zest into the white sugar and muddle, before the creaming step. I think lime is much more assertive than orange and 2 tablespoons of lime zest might be a bit overwhelming. But it still comes down to personal taste. I left out the vanilla feeling that the white chocolate chips provided enough of that family of flavours but I could well be talking through the top of my head. I am anxious to see how they go over tomorrow morning. They are not very discerning bunch so I bet they go over well after five weeks of store-bought donuts!
  • rotuts likes this

My 2004 eG Blog