Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:19 AM

I cannot answer your question, rotuts, as I am still very much novice baker. I never use the convection feature on either oven.

On the lime meltaways. I got no feedback initially. I thought perhaps this was an epic fail. But a day or two later the feedback was very enthusiastic. They were being described as a "key lime pie cookie". I also found out that the "big bosses" had learned of these treats that appeared in a certain department on Wednesday mornings and were showing up in that department to make sure that they had a sampling!
  • Smithy and rotuts like this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#122 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 819 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:51 AM

Convection ovens are so much easier to bake with then older types of ovens.   You just lower the  heat a bit and it bakes quicker.  I dream of that type of oven. Buns coming out perfect with zero problem. You can also bake several sheets of cookies and buns at one go.  Sadly my  landlord doesnt give us this option.  Oh well for a novice baking it much easier to  get success with fan oven the old fashion. I know in  Celsius you just turn the heat down  10 C and it work like a charm.

Spice cake with a twist

3.5 oz  butter

2 eggs

1 1/4  cup brown sugar

2 teaspoon  ground cinnamon

1½ teaspoon ground  cardamom

1 teaspoon  ground ginger

1 ½ cup flour

1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda

½ cup  sour cream

½ cup thick  cranberry sauce  or mashed cranberries.

Turn the oven to  350 .  Grease and dust  a loaf tin  that holds 6 cups. Melt  the butter and let it cool a bit.

Mix flour, spices and bicarbonate soda  in a bowl.   In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and sugar  fluffy.   Add the flour, a little, then a bit of the butter, sour cream and  cranberry sauce while whisking. When all is in, pour it into the pan and  bake in the cooler part  ( most often the lower)  for  1 hour.   Check so it doesn't burn, if it gets too brown cover with a  baking parchment. Cool   on a rack and serve.   Taste a bit of Christmas and it really nice.

• rotuts likes this

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you,  But blue mold will kill me.

#123 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 819 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:24 PM

Rotus: I have a recipe for brownies that a friend makes for customers on a regular basis . It contains raspberries  and dark chocolate and so easy and addictive.

Tasmanian brownies

Ingredients
370 gram  unsalted butter
340 gram best-quality bittersweet chocolate
6 eggs
1 3/4 cups  sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate buttons, chips or morsels
 3 cups  semi frozen raspberries

Baking tin (approximately 11 1/4 inches by 9 inches by 2 inches), sides and base lined with baking parchment.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt the butter and dark chocolate together in a large heavy based pan over a low heat.

In a bowl or large measuring jug, beat the eggs together with  sugar and vanilla extract.

Allow the chocolate mixture to cool a little, then add the egg and sugar mixture and beat well. Fold in the flour and salt. Then stir in the  chocolate buttons or chips, add the raspberries ,  Fold  to combine then scrape and pour the brownie mixture into the prepared tin.

Bake for about 25 minutes.. Remember that they will continue to cook as they cool.

Cool and serve.

• Smithy and rotuts like this

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you,  But blue mold will kill me.

#124 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

On David Lebovitz blog he has a recipe for brownies made with black cocoa powder. Even to this non-brownie lover they look astounding. May have to see if I can source some of that stuff.

I source mine from King Arthur Flour.

#125 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:05 PM

I source mine from King Arthur Flour.

Yeah I would too except their shipping cost to Canada would put me in the poorhouse! I have an in through Kerry Beal to a number of chocolate suppliers if I decide that I really really can't live without it..... But thank you for the suggestion.

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#126 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,997 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

Yeah I would too except their shipping cost to Canada would put me in the poorhouse! I have an in through Kerry Beal to a number of chocolate suppliers if I decide that I really really can't live without it..... But thank you for the suggestion.

Punjab market has it.

• Thanks for the Crepes likes this

#127 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:47 PM

image.jpg

Banana walnut sheet cake. I was not pleased with this and before it had completely cooled searched around for another recipe for which I might have the ingredients. No photos but I also made a batch of chocolate chip blondies.

I believe the problem with the sheet cake was that I was not fastidious enough when smoothing the batter. However I was able to rescue enough to send some squares along. You can see from the photograph how uneven it is.

My 2004 eG Blog