Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

Getting feedback is a little like pulling teeth and feels very much like compliment fishing.

I have the same issue with my weekly cookies here at the office. I have to be sure to clarify that I've never tried the recipe before and want to know whether it's worth making again.

Those muffins? Look HUGE. I'm curious, what kind of extravagant ingredients were called for?

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

#62 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

I have the same issue with my weekly cookies here at the office. I have to be sure to clarify that I've never tried the recipe before and want to know whether it's worth making again.

Those muffins? Look HUGE. I'm curious, what kind of extravagant ingredients were called for?

Here you go
http://www.finecooki...ry-muffins.aspx

To me creme fraiche, whole milk and eggs are in extravagant bounty for muffins!
  • emmalish likes this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#63 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

Thanks for the link, Anna! Those look fantastic. And I'd definitely agree with the crème fraîche being extravagant... they must be so rich. 

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

#64 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:49 AM

image.jpg

Today's offering. Sorry for the poor photograph. Member ElsieD introduced me to a version of this recipe. It contains no dairy, no eggs, and can be mixed right in the cake pan -- how easy is that?

The cake is known as Crazy cake, Wacko cake, Cowboy cake, or Depression cake. After much research I adapted this recipe:

http://www.epicuriou...te-Cake-106041?

replacing the water with brewed espresso coffee and sprinkling chocolate chips on the batter before it went into the oven. Strangely all the chips migrated to the centre. Not a biggie since one can now choose a piece with or without chocolate chips. Thank you, Elsie.
  • Smithy, emmalish, DianaM and 1 other like this

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#65 Tammi Townsley

Tammi Townsley
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

How about mini quiches?

#66 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:46 PM

How about mini quiches?

Thank you for the suggestion. Food safety becomes a problem here. There are no refrigeration facilities. Meetings are sometimes early morning and sometimes late afternoon. So I thought I would avoid anything that might pose a problem in this regard.

My 2004 eG Blog

#67 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:00 AM

So last week I had a baking day which I reported on in the "daily sweets" topic and sent my son-in-law off with Nigella Lawson's Cherry Almond loaf. It bombed. I needed to redeem myself this week so I made Alice Medrich's Cocoa brownies. I let my daughter do a taste test to be sure but I think they might do it. Brownies have a way of winning hearts no matter what.
  • rotuts likes this

My 2004 eG Blog

#68 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:59 AM

""   Brownies have a way of winning hearts no matter what.  ""

just so.  Betty helps me make  mine, and the library staff love them

1/4 cup of rum / box is also helpful.

#69 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:34 AM

Here you go
http://www.finecooki...ry-muffins.aspx

To me creme fraiche, whole milk and eggs are in extravagant bounty for muffins!

The eggs and the sour cream may be extravagant, but the amount of sugar is amazing!  How sweet were they? 

#70 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:36 AM

Dead easy no fail chocolate balls

100 gram butter
150 ml sugar
4 tablespoon unsweetend cocao powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pinch of salt
2 tablespoons water, bozze or coffee
500 ml rolled oats.

Rolling:
Non pralines, coarse grained candied sugar,  chopped nuts, dedicated coconut  or melted chocolate  or candy melts. 
Mix everything up,  butter and cocoa first and then the rest, end with the liquid.

roll into 30 small balls and then roll them in something  or  for a more posher look, dip them in chocolate or candy melts

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you,  But blue mold will kill me.

#71 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

The eggs and the sour cream may be extravagant, but the amount of sugar is amazing!  How sweet were they?

Sorry they disappeared before I got to taste them but they were very well received (which, knowing the audience, suggests they were indeed sweet!)
  • SylviaLovegren likes this

My 2004 eG Blog

#72 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

Dead easy no fail chocolate balls

100 gram butter
150 ml sugar
4 tablespoon unsweetend cocao powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pinch of salt
2 tablespoons water, bozze or coffee
500 ml rolled oats.

Rolling:
Non pralines, coarse grained candied sugar,  chopped nuts, dedicated coconut  or melted chocolate  or candy melts. 
Mix everything up,  butter and cocoa first and then the rest, end with the liquid.

roll into 30 small balls and then roll them in something  or  for a more posher look, dip them in chocolate or candy melts

Thanks for sharing. They sound like they would be delightful at a children's birthday party but perhaps less suitable for a business meeting.

My 2004 eG Blog

#73 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

Actually Swedes do eat them for that too.  It sort of the best way of calming people, that and vacuum cleaners  another odd thing that doesnt need a oven to make.  

I know we are odd.  

When we do business meeting we try to have a good fika planned,  fika is coffee and and sweet treats  and talk and the  it shows how much you care about people.  I been told to bake  vanilla rolls,  5 types cookies, chocolate balls, vacuum cleaners and make a cake  ( with frosting and all) for an important  meeting  when I worked as housekeeper.   I have helped my dad fix up fika for the place he worked at when the local bakery had a fire and well they cant have a meeting with out cookies and in autumn apple pie. We live with the coffee mug firmly grown into out hands. ;)

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you,  But blue mold will kill me.

#74 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

Never baked a vacuum cleaner before - suspect it might require a bit of tenderizing first.

• emmalish and SylviaLovegren like this

#75 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

Here is a picture  http://raz.nu/wp-con...punchrullar.jpg , you have to think old school vacuum cleaner to understand it.  

• rotuts likes this

#76 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

Only missing the hose - are they marzipan?

#77 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

The inside is  cookie and cake crumbs , it has to be a blend of that and then powdered sugar, cocoa , arrack  and butter, then rolled into marzipan and then dipped into chocolate.

Most often it is flavoured with essences and sometimes  they use other liqueur flavours.   I have gotten a blueberry one   and a lingon one when the  Crown princess got married.

#78 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

I'm the designated 'snack person' for the upcoming local gourd retreat.  To that end I have begun making items, starting with Kerry Beal's  Quick Bread Recipes, taken from The Kitchen.  On the left is the Variation #1: Cranberry-Walnut; on the right is Variation #4: Blueberry Loaf.  Both taste very good.  DH says butter goes on both loaf, and for the Cranberry Loaf?  Old Cheddar, of course.

Thanks, Kerry. 

Attached Images

• P1010001_07.JPG

• Smithy likes this
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#79 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

Still baking?

I just remember Vetekaka  ( Wheat cake), easy to do and comes in a  three flavours   plain, cinnamon and  fruit.

Pre heat the oven to 200 C.

In a bowl  mix

100 ml sugar

400 ml flour

2 teaspoon  bakingpowder

1 teaspon freshly ground  cardamom

100 gram butter

It should look like sand in texture, then it is done correctly, just use your hands for this

Then add

200 ml milk 

Stir with a spoon until mixed.

Grease butter and dust  with flour  8- 9 inch pie tin. Pour in  the batter  and  add one  of this toppings.

Plain:

4 tablespoon of  coarse sugar, scattered over the cake

Cinnamon

1 tablespoon of  cinnamon

2 tablespoon of sugar.  mix and dusted over the cake.

Fruit

About 1 cup of berries or chopped fruit  over the top

Bake for  30 min. Check  it done by sticking a skewer in the middle, if it comes out clean it is done.

Edited by CatPoet, 15 July 2014 - 10:16 AM.

#80 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

Anzac biscuits!  Those should be perfect

#81 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

Kerry Beal's Quick Bread Recipes, Cranberry-Walnut version, was received with such enthusiasm at the Gourd Retreat that I was stupefied.  Well, I guess I'm gonna make that one again. 

• Toliver and emmalish like this
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates