Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2014–)

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
546 replies to this topic

#211 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

Anna – was there something wrong with the cherry almond loaf?  It looks beautiful and I love that combination.

Paula – thank you!  That means a LOT coming from you!

#212 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

Anna – was there something wrong with the cherry almond loaf?  It looks beautiful and I love that combination.

Paula – thank you!  That means a LOT coming from you!

Kim,

The texture was just wrong. I would describe it as mealy.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#213 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 824 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

I have a soda pop cake in the oven, making a small tester cake for a friend.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you,  But blue mold will kill me.

#214 shubashuba

shubashuba
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

That's a brilliant idea! Ditto the thing about roughing it up as well - or you could try just a small spot of icing or nutella, not sure how it would affect the aesthetics, though...

#215 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 824 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

The soda pop cake was lovely, sadly we ate it , it was just a wee one  before  I remember that I should have taken a picture.

It was moist,  soft and lovely, it was everything I ask of from a cake and  with coke it tasted lovely.   I am now pondering ginger ale or  fanta.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you,  But blue mold will kill me.

#216 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

A rustic tart with aprium from Frog Hollow Farm. I bought a lot and the rest will be used in jam.

14224082757_0c4501fb91_z.jpg

14387403096_39871d6b84_z.jpg

A few weeks ago I made this very nice chocolate almond cake by Nigel Slater. It was published in his book Kitchen Diairies but there was a gross typo in the ingredient quantities (I believe that the butter was double or tripled) so I used the online recipe instead. Good thing I realized something was wrong when I read the recipe!

14184172206_cd76af944d_z.jpg

14205809511_09d9db4a65_z.jpg

• Anna N, Smithy, rotuts and 1 other like this

#217 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

Those are beautiful, FrogPrincesse.  (I swear, I gain 5 pounds just looking at the photos in this topic!)  As much as I adore chocolate, I just might have chosen the tart instead, if I'd been within food-snatching distance.

Tell us more about the apriums, please.  I've been disappointed in pluots, the other version of the apricot/plum cross, because they always seem too bland.  I'm not sure I've tried an aprium.  Do these carry more flavor than, say, what passes for apricots in grocery stores these days?  They appear to cook down nicely.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#218 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

Thanks Smithy.

These apriums are an apricot-plum cross called Cot-n-Candy. They look very much like an apricot (you can see a couple in the photo below), with a little less fuzz and a slightly firmer texture. Inside, their flesh is more yellow than orange (there is one regular apricot in the middle of the tart). But it would be easy to mistake them for regular apricots. Russ Parsons wrote a little piece about them in the LA Times a few days ago.

Tastewise, they were not completely ripe when I got them, but once cooked they were great (I don't mind a bit of tartness). They had a lot of flavor.

I am letting the rest ripen a bit before making jam this weekend.

14223881049_8bc1bce68c_z.jpg

• Toliver and Smithy like this

#219 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

I like it very much FrogPrincess! I'll see if I can find the aprium but meanwhile I'm thinking I should try it  with rhubarb. Something similar, which I really LOVED was the cranberries galette, Darienne suggested to me. I think the pate brisee is richer than the one I usually used but it was really good.

#220 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

Franci, it is rhubarb season here as well, and I happen to have some on hand. How do you prepare the rhubarb to fill the galette?

#221 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 824 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:05 AM

I'm making chocolate cloud cake, it wont be as airy as normal since my electric whisky died before I got a good  egg white, they where nearly there, so I hope it works.

#222 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:51 AM

Franci, it is rhubarb season here as well, and I happen to have some on hand. How do you prepare the rhubarb to fill the galette?

Diana, I was looking at this Alice Water's recipe and this with a frangipane smear on the bottom and rhubarb/raspberry and cannot decide which way to go...

• DianaM likes this

#223 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

FrogPrincesse, thanks for that information, and in particular for the link. I really need to remember to read Russ Parsons' column on a regular basis. Our grocery store didn't have any apriums that looked like yours, but they had 3 varieties of pluots, so I decided to give them another try. (One problem with grocery store stone fruit is that they rarely leave the stuff in the original container, so the labeling is left to rudimentary information: white peach, white nectarine, red pluot, black pluot. 'Cot-n-Candy' won't show up unless it's actually on the fruit sticker.) Bless Russ Parsons for trying to keep the memory of Blenheim apricots alive.

Further to that rustic tart: is there a preferred crust for that? I'm making dessert next week and may try one with nectarines.

CatPoet, I'm glad to see you reached a decision on your midsummer dessert. :-) (I refer to this topic: http://forums.egulle...-or-cloud-cake/) Happy Midsummer!

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#224 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

Further to that rustic tart: is there a preferred crust for that? I'm making dessert next week and may try one with nectarines.

Here's what I used: 210 g  flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 115 g unsalted butter, 6 tablespoons water.

I sprinkled a few tablespoons of sugar on the fruit and crust before putting the tart in the oven. See here for more details.

• Smithy and DianaM like this

#225 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 824 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

20140620_173650_zps933c2bab.jpg

Chocolate cloud cake with strawberries

20140620_143548_zps942e52e6.jpg

Chocolate fondue with Strawberries.

• Smithy likes this

#226 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

Well, here's why I haven't been posting a whole lot lately…..  Wedding show!  This is a dummy cake (so I'm not sure if it belongs here rather than in confections, but what the hey) with gum paste floral arrangement.  It was originally meant to be on pillars, but then I found this nifty stand…..

FlowersCake-Bottom4up.jpg

FlowersCake-DahliaCloseup.jpg

FlowersCake-Top4up.jpg

FlowersCake-Top-Top.jpg

FlowersCake-Bottom-Installed.jpg

FlowersCake-Top-Installed.jpg

FlowersCake-Installed-Crop.jpg

FlowersCake-Show.jpg

And along with all of that, a baptism and a birthday.  I'm becoming very fond of printable fondant, let me tell you!

Baptism.jpg

OneDirection.jpg

Attached Images

• FlowersCake-Top.jpg

• Toliver, Smithy, emmalish and 7 others like this
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#227 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

Wow...those are beautiful, Elizabeth! I'm very impressed.

#228 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 824 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:15 AM

I didnt make these today but I am so proud of it.  It was my daughters birthday cake, everything but the stalk of the bulrush is edible.  The bottom is  a  white cake, with  lactosefree butter cream, chocolate pudding dirt and cookie crumb soil, toffee button and fudge rocks . The logs are  swiss rolls  dark chocolate sponge filled with  toffee cream and dulce de leche and then covered in chocolate mousse.  The tail  and the bulrush is  left over cake mixed with butter cream and  chocolate pudding.  My daughter grab the tail the first things she did, but she didnt eat it because  we are not used to the chemical taste of food colouring here and the green store bought  sugar paste just tasted food colouring, next time I be using slightly less green marzipan that I know taste good. But the logs and the  ground was yummy and every one liked the fudge rocks.

_MG_4580mini_zps7da3555d.jpg

_MG_4591mini_zpsfb0c2c41.jpg

Edited by CatPoet, 22 June 2014 - 03:23 AM.

• Smithy, rotuts and leonidas like this

#229 jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan
  • participating member
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:54 AM

I am impressed by that sugar-work...

Here's a little tarte aux fraises, just because it's summer and Gariguette strawberries are everywhere.

Tarte aux fraises.jpg

Pâte sucrée

Vanilla pastry cream, Philippe Conticini's recipe (a little more advanced than normal, incorporating butter, cocoa butter and gelatin, then whipped)

Gariguette strawberries.

• Toliver, emmalish, Ann_T and 3 others like this

#230 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

Diana, I was looking at this Alice Water's recipe and this with a frangipane smear on the bottom and rhubarb/raspberry and cannot decide which way to go...

I made the second one, but subbed the raspberries with strawberries, because I had them handy. They were fresh, juicy and fragrant - we went to pick-your-own at a nearby farm yesterday. It was the start of their season, and I got to pick only the very best berries. Of course I had a blast.

image.jpg
  • Franci likes this

#231 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

jmacnaughtan - I'm in awe of your entremets, so I think we're even….  That tarte aux fraises looks stupendous.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#232 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

It looks very nice Diana, how did you like it?

#233 JohnT

JohnT
  • participating member
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

Here's a little tarte aux fraises, just because it's summer and Gariguette strawberries are everywhere.

Pâte sucrée
Vanilla pastry cream, Philippe Conticini's recipe (a little more advanced than normal, incorporating butter, cocoa butter and gelatin, then whipped)
Gariguette strawberries.

Your pâte sucrée looks brilliant (the whole tart does!) - mind sharing the pâte sucrée recipe or pointing to it?
Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

#234 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

It looks very nice Diana, how did you like it?

Thanks, Franci. It was great! I did not use the entire quantity of frangipane paste, but I think it would have worked well, especially if the galette is made for people with a sweeter tooth. The balance of tart and sweet was very good to my taste, but my husband would have liked it a bit sweeter. I did not use the orange zest, I wanted just rhubarb, and strawberry as the stars, and the vanilla in a supporting role. :)

I want to cut myself a slice every time I walk by it. I will definitely be making this again.
  • Franci likes this

#235 jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan
  • participating member
  • 253 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:27 AM

jmacnaughtan - I'm in awe of your entremets, so I think we're even….  That tarte aux fraises looks stupendous.

Thanks!

Your pâte sucrée looks brilliant (the whole tart does!) - mind sharing the pâte sucrée recipe or pointing to it?

No problem, it's on this recipe.  It's very easy to work with, provided you let it rest for at least a few hours.

• leonidas likes this

#236 Matthew Kirshner

Matthew Kirshner
  • participating member
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

First batch of Strawberry Champagne Jam of the season.  The berries were picked straight from the garden.

Attached Images

• jam.JPG

• emmalish, Ann_T, Shelby and 1 other like this

#237 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

That looks wonderful.  What is the purpose of the champagne?

#238 Matthew Kirshner

Matthew Kirshner
  • participating member
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:36 PM

That looks wonderful.  What is the purpose of the champagne?

I remember when I worked at  this bakery/café years ago, we were celebrating the owners birthday.  We did a little event and there was a bottle of champagne left over, so my general manager and I(remember not in the right state of mind) decided "Hey lets make something with this"  I grab the strawberries and the pectin, and grab the bottle.  30 mins later we had strawberry champagne jam.  Since then I have been experimenting with the formula using different types of strawberries, but the champagne adds a little bubbly flavor.  My wife gets real exited when our strawberries are ready for picking, she hands them to me and says "you know what to do!!".   I am a type of pastry chef who never throws out an idea to use alcohol in a pastry or component.

• Toliver and leonidas like this

#239 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

I like your style, Matthew. ;-)

#240 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

Kim, I love your Cupcake High heels.  I think your mom is right.  

My son has been home this week so I made a couple of pies.

Blueberry%20Pie%20June%2023rd%2C%202014-Blueberry%20Pie%20June%2023rd%2C%202014%

Blueberry

Hoosier%20Sugar%20Cream%20Pie%20June%202Hoosier%20Sugar%20Cream%20Pie%20June%202

and a Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie doctored up with whipped cream and toasted coconut.

• Toliver, Franci, emmalish and 4 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert