Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2014–)

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
330 replies to this topic

#61 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

Hi Emmalish, the recipe is very good, as everybody already mentioned in the reviews it's like a banana bread in cookie form, my only complain is that doesn't keep that well.

Franci, what type of banana are you using?  It will make all the difference - there are some varieties that are less prone to oxidation than others, and honestly the Gran Nain (Chiquita standard banana) and Cavendish (Dole/Corbana standard banana) are the worst offenders when it comes to oxidation after baking.

If you're still in NYC, you should have access to "ethnic" groceries.  Look for Latin American ones and ask for Plátano Limón, Plátano Burro, or Plátano Orinoco.  In Filipino or Malaysian groceries, ask for Saba.  And if you can find a Hawaiian grocer, cross your fingers and ask for either Iholena Lele or Maoli Popo'ulu.  The latter is a huge banana considered to be the gold standard for baking as it retains its gold colour for days.

• andiesenji and emmalish like this
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#62 Matthew Kirshner

Matthew Kirshner
  • participating member
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

I have been waiting a long time to make this cake,but I finally got around to it.  Vanilla Genoise, Housemade Raspberry jam, Italian Meringue Frosting, toasted Almonds Fresh Raspberry pile.  I  think the reason why I don't make this cake is it does not last long, it was sold in less then 20 mins after putting on display.  i don't have the man power to make a lot of Meringue, but here it is!!

Attached Images

• genoise.JPG

• emmalish, Ann_T, curls and 2 others like this

#63 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

Franci, what type of banana are you using?  It will make all the difference - there are some varieties that are less prone to oxidation than others, and honestly the Gran Nain (Chiquita standard banana) and Cavendish (Dole/Corbana standard banana) are the worst offenders when it comes to oxidation after baking.

If you're still in NYC, you should have access to "ethnic" groceries.  Look for Latin American ones and ask for Plátano Limón, Plátano Burro, or Plátano Orinoco.  In Filipino or Malaysian groceries, ask for Saba.  And if you can find a Hawaiian grocer, cross your fingers and ask for either Iholena Lele or Maoli Popo'ulu.  The latter is a huge banana considered to be the gold standard for baking as it retains its gold colour for days.

Very interesting Panaderia. Unfortunately I don't have any ethnic grocery nearby but I'll keep in mind for the future.
You are lucky to be able to buy so many fresh and interesting fruits.

#64 jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan
  • participating member
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:50 PM

I have been waiting a long time to make this cake,but I finally got around to it.  Vanilla Genoise, Housemade Raspberry jam, Italian Meringue Frosting, toasted Almonds Fresh Raspberry pile.  I  think the reason why I don't make this cake is it does not last long, it was sold in less then 20 mins after putting on display.  i don't have the man power to make a lot of Meringue, but here it is!!

Looks good- do you soak your génoise before adding the jam and frosting, or just leave it plain?  While I like génoise, they can frequently be bone dry (even when not overbaked).

#65 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

Matthew – gorgeous cake!  I wouldn’t have been able to resist buying it either!

I tried out my friend Christa’s German Shortbread recipe for a board meeting of the VA Episcopal Church Women our church is hosting in May:

med_gallery_3331_119_100568.jpg

Three different shapes – will decide which one to use tonight at church with some other members.  Detail of lettering:

med_gallery_3331_119_47085.jpg

This is a fantastic cooky – fragrant with almond paste and such an easy dough to work with.  It holds its shape when baked – even those tiny little letters!

• Toliver, demiglace, janeer and 1 other like this

#66 Matthew Kirshner

Matthew Kirshner
  • participating member
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

Looks good- do you soak your génoise before adding the jam and frosting, or just leave it plain?  While I like génoise, they can frequently be bone dry (even when not overbaked).

I soak the layers in a raspberry syrup before sandwiching.  I understand what you mean by the dryness factor, I usually add a little more butter when I fold it in. 

#67 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

Mr. Kim had a birthday in his office this week and she requested dulce de leche brownies:

med_gallery_3331_119_111630.jpg

Very good, but VERY sweet.

Oooo!  That is a great idea.  Toots, being from Argentina, loves dulce de leche.  There's a brownie recipe I make in which I add fudge to the mixture.  Do you think I could use DDL instead, and bake as usual, or might there be anything different  that has to be done?

• Ann_T likes this

.... Shel

#68 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

Oooo!  That is a great idea.  Toots, being from Argentina, loves dulce de leche.  There's a brownie recipe I make in which I add fudge to the mixture.  Do you think I could use DDL instead, and bake as usual, or might there be anything different  that has to be done?

I confess that I used a brownie mix - Ghirardelli is so good that I don't bother making from scratch usually.  I smoothed the batter in the pan and for the DDL I used a can of the La Lechera brand.  I nuked it for a few seconds to soften, spaced out a few plops of it over the batter and swirled it in with a chopstick.  Multinational brownies  :laugh: !

• andiesenji and Shel_B like this

#69 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

I confess that I used a brownie mix - Ghirardelli is so good that I don't bother making from scratch usually.  I smoothed the batter in the pan and for the DDL I used a can of the La Lechera brand.  I nuked it for a few seconds to soften, spaced out a few plops of it over the batter and swirled it in with a chopstick.  Multinational brownies  :laugh: !

:cool:   About half the time I make brownies, I use a Ghirardelli mix - the Triple Fudge mix.  It is very good, and Toots likes it quite a bit, so that's what I use when making brownies for her.  I'll have to play around with the DDL a bit, and see what works best for our taste and preferences.  Should be a nice project .  Thanks so much for the idea!

.... Shel

#70 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,267 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

You can call them "Fusion" brownies.  A true instance of two cultural food favorites being "fused" into a cohesive new flavor excitement.

• Shel_B likes this
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#71 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

Matthew – gorgeous cake!  I wouldn’t have been able to resist buying it either!

I tried out my friend Christa’s German Shortbread recipe for a board meeting of the VA Episcopal Church Women our church is hosting in May:
med_gallery_3331_119_100568.jpg
Three different shapes – will decide which one to use tonight at church with some other members.  Detail of lettering:
med_gallery_3331_119_47085.jpg
This is a fantastic cooky – fragrant with almond paste and such an easy dough to work with.  It holds its shape when baked – even those tiny little letters!

Looks like it doesn't piffling up either. Would you're be willing to share?
  • teapot likes this

#72 RobertM

RobertM
  • participating member
  • 453 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:27 AM

Kim....would you be willing to share that formula? I'm looking for such a cookie that will hold it's shape ... Those look awesome!
Thank You!

#73 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

I'm always happy to share: http://www.recipecir...ad_Cookies.html

• curls, teapot, DianaM and 1 other like this

#74 IowaDee

IowaDee
  • participating member
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

What oven temperature should these beauties be baked at.?  Anxious to try them and thanks for sharing.

#75 shubashuba

shubashuba
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hallo! I've been lurking on eGullet for quite a while learning and reading about interesting stuff but never really shared much. I'm currently on holiday (ah...the woes of being a student ^^) and so have been doing some baking...

DSC_0539.jpg

Yann Menguy's Brownie Chocolat from a French TV patisserie competition. The only French I know are for food and cooking terms, so I pretty much just ogle at the video and use Google translate to get the recipes. Sadly, I can't pipe for nuts, and made it look rather like someone took a dump >.> Still tasted nice, though. 

DSC_0535.jpg

Below is Amauary Guichon's Finger Praline, from the same show. It's basically a dressed up brownie. Very French, I suppose...

DSC_0546.JPG

DSC_0549.JPG

Goodness, my pictures are ginormous (I'll try to rescale)

• Toliver, demiglace, Franci and 6 others like this

#76 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

they look delicious!

in other, unrelated news, I'm all of a sudden hungry for some reason.
  • emmalish likes this

#77 RWood

RWood
  • participating member
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

Stack of books wedding cake from today.  I think the couple are teachers.

Attached Images

• bookcake.JPG

• demiglace, janeer, Blether and 6 others like this

#78 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

What oven temperature should these beauties be baked at.?  Anxious to try them and thanks for sharing.

Yikes!  I somehow missed putting the temperature in!  Thanks so much.  I correct the recipe, but it's 350 degrees!

#79 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

Stack of books wedding cake from today.  I think the couple are teachers.

That is really nice.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#80 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

I'm always happy to share: http://www.recipecir...ad_Cookies.html

Thank you!

#81 RWood

RWood
  • participating member
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

That is really nice.

Thanks, I'm glad it's over. Hectic week, got sick.  But, it all came together.

#82 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,233 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

Trying a new recipe today for The Imploding Honey Custard Cake.  

I seem to have over baked it a bit - it doesn't have the oozy interior it should - I think 2 minutes less would have worked.  It's not sweet at all - and it's a bit dry the way it is - so I think a bit of fruit coulis on it would make the difference.

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

#83 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

That sounds pretty tasty Kerry. Is the honey flavor forward enough to be obvious?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#84 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,233 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

It is - but not so sweet as to be cloying.  

#85 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

DSC_4970_zps16b35db2.jpg

10177242_633298200086774_893702414876949

'Orange caramel' entremet. The layers are: Almond sponge base, topped with roasted pistachio nut and caramelised puffed rice in hazelnut praline, surrounded by orange mousse with a caramel creme brulee layer, covered with a dark chocolate glaze.

Delicious!

• demiglace, Franci, emmalish and 3 others like this

#86 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

A fraisier to enjoy after the Easter meal.

image.jpg
  • demiglace, janeer, Franci and 6 others like this

#87 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

It is - but not so sweet as to be cloying.  

Gonna have to try it.

#88 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

Candied fig cheesecake.  It was glorious.

FigCheesecake.jpg

FigCheesecake2.jpg

Also, Hot Cross Buns!

HCBs.jpg

• Toliver, emmalish, Darienne and 1 other like this
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#89 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

Made banana cookies from Martha Stewart's website http://www.marthaste...e-chunk-cookies
My son loved them. I didn't use any nuts and added some caramelized white chocolate. For my taste, I'd lower sugar a bit, pulse the oatmeal, add walnuts and dark chocolate chunks. And bake just 6 at the time freezing the rest.
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I made these again. This time I used the pressured cooked bananas from chefsteps (drained, mine didn't hold their shape, taste very good anyway) and added toasted walnuts and chocolate chips

image.jpg

Very different. Banana flavor less pronounced, less like cake more crunch. I prefer them.
  • emmalish likes this

#90 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

My housemate came back from his holiday so we made him a pavlova.

003 (640x480).jpg

005 (640x480).jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert