Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2014–)

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
407 replies to this topic

#31 BeeZee

BeeZee
  • participating member
  • 531 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

Anna N, on 07 Apr 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Cheese muffins.

Discussed this week's meeting snacks with son-in-law and cheese muffins it will be. Wanted to do a test run before Wednesday (well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). These have 2 ozs each of cheddar and gruyere and 1 oz of parmesan, a good pinch of cayenne. I will freeze them as they will be a perfect accompaniment to soup or salad.

+Yum

I am hosting an after work meeting at my office next week, what recipe did you use/modify? I'm thinking this would be perfect to use for that group, also.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

#32 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

YUM. How are these texture-wise? I have a recipe for apple cheddar muffins that taste fantastic, but every time I make them the texture is tough and bready. It doesn't matter how careful I am not to over mix. I keep meaning to experiment to get that flavour combination in a better muffin. Maybe I could modify these...?

These are definitely NOT as light and fluffy as a well-made blueberry muffin, for example. I think it's just the nature of the beast when you add cheese. I wouldn't, however, describe them as tough. I tossed the cheese in with the dry ingredients and used a whisk to blend the dry ingredients, to combine the wet ingredients and to fold them together. I also replaced the milk with powdered milk and water as I rarely have liquid milk in the house. I used paper liners but next time I will just grease the muffin cups to encourage a crispy exterior. Here's the recipe I started from:

http://www.food.com/...e-muffins-53561
  • emmalish and DianaM like this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#33 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

+Yum
I am hosting an after work meeting at my office next week, what recipe did you use/modify? I'm thinking this would be perfect to use for that group, also.

Here you go

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#34 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

Nut bars for snacks, very loosely based on this recipe: http://powerhungry.c...made-kind-bars/

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Those look good, thanks for posting! I go through a lot of energy bars during cycling season so I'm always on the lookout for recipes. It's already getting into mountain bike weather here and road biking won't be far behind so I'll give these (and some of the other recipes on the site you linked) a try.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#35 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 904 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

These are definitely NOT as light and fluffy as a well-made blueberry muffin, for example. I think it's just the nature of the beast when you add cheese. I wouldn't, however, describe them as tough. I tossed the cheese in with the dry ingredients and used a whisk to blend the dry ingredients, to combine the wet ingredients and to fold them together. I also replaced the milk with powdered milk and water as I rarely have liquid milk in the house. I used paper liners but next time I will just grease the muffin cups to encourage a crispy exterior. Here's the recipe I started from:

Thank you for that!

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

#36 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

Those look good, thanks for posting! I go through a lot of energy bars during cycling season so I'm always on the lookout for recipes. It's already getting into mountain bike weather here and road biking won't be far behind so I'll give these (and some of the other recipes on the site you linked) a try.

You are welcome! I have to add that the yield of the recipe she posted did not fill my 8" pan, at least not to the thickness I wanted. So now when I make it I throw in handfuls of whatever (toasted coconut flakes and chia are my choices lately) and adjust the brown rice syrup to compensate.

#37 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

image.jpg

These are the cheese muffins for tomorrow's meeting. I used "orange" cheddar this time, greased the muffin tin rather than using paper liners and upped the oven temp.to 375F. I think they are more tender than my first batch.
  • Toliver, demiglace, emmalish and 3 others like this

My 2004 eG Blog

#38 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:34 AM

I made the nut butter scones from maximum flavor. Something must have gone wrong because the authors defined these scones as light as feather and melt in your mouth, well they didn't turned like that. I used cashew butter and the scones feel pasty. I used a scale and I'm not new at making scones in the food processor. I really like their ideas but I found their recipes to be hit or miss, definitely not foolproof.image.jpg
  • leonidas likes this

#39 jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan
  • participating member
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:38 AM

I made another Coconut Cake, slightly tweaked for a cleaner presentation and, more importantly, more rum.  

Coconut cake 2.0 top.jpg

• demiglace, rajoress and leonidas like this

#40 Matthew Kirshner

Matthew Kirshner
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

Made this cake at work the other day, nothing special.  Vanilla Chiffon, with Strawberry Buttercream and with chocolate dipped strawberry décor.  Like I said, nothing special just wanted to share.

photo.JPG

• Toliver, demiglace, emmalish and 5 others like this

#41 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:51 PM

Nothing special, he says!

Thing of beauty, Matthew.

• demiglace and rajoress like this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#42 Blether

Blether
  • participating member
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:57 PM

And an apple pie.

2014-04-10%2021.56.20.jpg

Just out the oven:

2014-04-11%2000.37.00.jpg

... and settling comfortably, like an old house:

2014-04-11%2001.19.48.jpg

• Anna N, Toliver, demiglace and 9 others like this

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

#43 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

German Nussecken, didn't deep in chocolate

image.jpg
  • demiglace, emmalish, rotuts and 2 others like this

#44 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 904 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

German Nussecken, didn't deep in chocolate

I don't know what that is, but it looks delicious!

• demiglace and leonidas like this

wanna come with?

#45 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

I don't know what that is, but it looks delicious!

I highly recommend them, easy and so good with a cup od coffee. This is very similar to the recipe I followed
http://www.purple-co.../nussecken.html if anybody interested.
I'd like to try them with pecans and maple syrup.

Edited by Franci, 13 April 2014 - 01:02 PM.

• demiglace, emmalish and Darienne like this

#46 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 904 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for the link, Franci! I've pinned that to try one day.  :smile:

• demiglace likes this

wanna come with?

#47 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

Yesterday I made a traditional Dundee cake.  No flavoring, no vanilla, no citrus zest, just the favorite "tea" cake of my great grandmother, grandmother and my aunts and great aunts, when I was growing up.

I "inherited" this recipe - but "tweaked" it a bit because the original made 3 large cakes.

DUNDEE CAKE
1            Cup         Butter
1            Cup         Sugar
4                            EGGS  Large
2 1/2      Cups       Flour    All-purpose
2/3          tsp         Salt
1 1/2       tsp         Baking Powder
1            Cup        Sultanas - golden raisins
3/4         Cup         Mixed Peel
1/2         Cup         Currants   (Zante)
1/2         Cup         Milk            
2            TBS        Sliced Almonds

Method:
Grease and flour an 8 inch cake pan or line it with parchment paper.
(I now use the disposable paper baking molds, 8 inch round, which do a beautiful job - they are available from Amazon.)  You can also use smaller pans or molds for a taller cake - or use a loaf pan or pans.  

Preheat your oven to 325°F.

Use a medium-large bowl - 2 quarts or larger.
Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat the mixture until all are blended in and the batter is smooth.
Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together
Add the sultanas, mixed peel and currants to the flour and toss to coat the pieces and make sure they are not clumped together.  (They are not traditional, but dried cranberries are lovely in this cake.)

Add this to the batter, 1/3 at a time, stirring well until blended before adding more.
Add the milk and stir in well.
The batter should be fairly stiff but if it appears too stiff, or dry and "ragged"
add 1 or 2 additional tablespoons of milk, blending well after each addition.  

Transfer the batter to the cake pan, spread to edges and level the top.
Sprinkle on the sliced almonds.
Place on center rack in pre-heated oven and set timer for 80 minutes.
At the end of this time check for doneness with a "cake tester" or better yet, a probe thermometer - the finished temp should be 205°F.  
Remove from oven, place pan on cooling rack for 50 minutes.

Invert onto one plate and then turn it again so it is right-side up on your serving plate.  If using the paper mold, just strip off the sides and transfer to your plate.
Lightly sift powdered sugar over the top after the cake has fully cooled.

Dindee cake.JPG

Dindee cake1.JPG

Dindee cake2.JPG

Dindee cake3.JPG

Dindee cake4.JPG

Dindee cake5.JPG

Dindee cake6.JPG

• demiglace, Franci, emmalish and 3 others like this
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#48 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,415 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

Yum!

#49 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

Looks delish. I love traditional cakes like this.

#50 caroled

caroled
  • participating member
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:27 PM

andiesenji,

That looks fabulous and I have everything in house at the moment but the mixed peel. How much different would it taste if it were omitted, or could you recommend a substitute to balance the flavors??  I do have some fresh limes and lemons, but no candied rinds. ( Do have candied ginger)    Could any of these be subbed??

• andiesenji likes this
And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

#51 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:37 PM

I use candied ginger a lot in fruit cakes (when it's not called for in the recipe) - it should work just fine in this one, I suspect.  Chop it into small pieces first.

Fresh zest would give a different taste/feel to candied and you'd want to use far less, but I think it's worth doing.  Let us know how it goes.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#52 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:56 PM

andiesenji,

That looks fabulous and I have everything in house at the moment but the mixed peel. How much different would it taste if it were omitted, or could you recommend a substitute to balance the flavors??  I do have some fresh limes and lemons, but no candied rinds. ( Do have candied ginger)    Could any of these be subbed??

You can use any dried fruit - chopped to the size of (smallish) raisins.  Candied ginger works fine - I've made it with ginger and dried apricots - those flavors "marry" well - just use the same volume (not by weight) of dried fruits and make sure they are distributed evenly throughout the flour mixture before adding to the (very stiff) batter.  You don't want big chunks of fruit that will not allow nice even slices. 

I've used the same basic recipe to make a "tropical" cake with finely chopped pineapple and mango. 

I added the following statement when I posted the recipe on my Facebook page:

This is a very "forgiving" cake. You can add flavors to it and it is not sensitive at all. On one occasion I had the power go off right in the middle of baking - I left it in the oven and restarted the oven and finished baking it when the power came back on two hours later. The cake was fine. Try and do that with most cakes - box cakes - and one would have a mess.

On one occasion, when I was pressed for time, I put the cake in the microwave (using the paper baking mold) for 8 minutes and then transferred it to the regular oven (preheated to 325°F) and finished baking it for about 35 minutes. 

I tested it with a probe thermometer to make sure the center was 205°F.   

It turned out quite nice. 

• demiglace likes this
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#53 Blether

Blether
  • participating member
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:16 AM

I suspect too that you can make a good substitute from your fresh lemons & limes, by chopping the pith-trimmed peel and candying it over a low heat for 5 minutes, as for lemon slices under Demerara Lemon Cake  here.

And, hey, then you can make lemonade too.

• emmalish likes this

#54 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

Anna – I think those cheese muffins look and sound great.  How about adding some chives to them?

Matthew – I think that your strawberry creation looks and sounds extremely special!

Andie – your Dundee cake is gorgeous.  I know that Ted, my English stepdad would have approved!

Mr. Kim had a birthday in his office this week and she requested dulce de leche brownies:

med_gallery_3331_119_111630.jpg

Very good, but VERY sweet.

• Toliver, demiglace, andiesenji and 4 others like this

#55 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

Made banana cookies from Martha Stewart's website http://www.marthaste...e-chunk-cookies
My son loved them. I didn't use any nuts and added some caramelized white chocolate. For my taste, I'd lower sugar a bit, pulse the oatmeal, add walnuts and dark chocolate chunks. And bake just 6 at the time freezing the rest.

image.jpg
  • demiglace and emmalish like this

#56 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,665 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

Have a choice as to where to post this dessert:  Capirotada, the traditional Mexican bread pudding, the Lenten variety without milk or eggs.  Love it.  (The big spoon is hiding the hole where we 'tested' the pudding.) 

Capirotada #1.jpg

• demiglace and emmalish like this
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#57 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

To celebrate the end of the lenten period, I'm making a candied fig cheesecake.  Will report back on how that goes.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#58 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 904 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

Made banana cookies from Martha Stewart's website http://www.marthaste...e-chunk-cookies
My son loved them. I didn't use any nuts and added some caramelized white chocolate. For my taste, I'd lower sugar a bit, pulse the oatmeal, add walnuts and dark chocolate chunks. And bake just 6 at the time freezing the rest.

I was just looking at that recipe the other day too. I'm definitely going to have to give it a try.

wanna come with?

#59 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

I was just looking at that recipe the other day too. I'm definitely going to have to give it a try.

Hi Emmalish, the recipe is very good, as everybody already mentioned in the reviews it's like a banana bread in cookie form, my only complain is that doesn't keep that well.
  • emmalish likes this

#60 Blether

Blether
  • participating member
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:03 AM

So I made the demerara lemon cake again (yes, repetitive, isn't it ?). I used a lighter flour and I made an effort to really whip the butter & sugar, and then to whip in the eggs. As the cake baked I watched the decorative lemon slices on the top sink without trace.

The cake itself is significantly lighter. I made some lemon curd, too, and with that and a spoonful of yoghurt, it still looks fine and is ridiculously good:

2014-04-17%2019.53.51.jpg

• Toliver and emmalish like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert