Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Sous Vide and Food Safety: Do You Need Room Around the Bagged Food?

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 littledebbie

littledebbie
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

Greetings, I have a few large slabs of chuck roast, ~2" and a bit of a safety concern. One side of the roast is having water at 138 f circulating around it while the other side is pretty much pressed against the wall of the tank. Is this a safety concern or more of an uneven cooking problem? Using the Anova circulator in about 4 gl water filled plastic tank for about 48 hours.

New to this delicious cooking method, my other meals have turned out wonderfully. Just don't want to get anyone sick.

Thanks for any help :)

#2 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

I did a chuck at 137f/27hr. Sliced for roast beef sandwiches. Was med/rare with good texture
  • gfweb likes this

#3 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

You might want to suspend the bag in the center of the vessel.

A binder clip, string and a chopstick work great
  • Chris Hennes likes this

#4 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

as I under stand it :  you are using the Anova, and some of your bags are being pushed 'aside'

Id  do this;  from time to time, say every 20 - 30  min, just give the bath a swish.  move the bags around.

this until the bags reach the target temp.

id this does not seem to work

look for a 'rib rack'  they are stainless steel and at all the major places   Home depot etc

http://www.homedepot...b%20rack?NCNI-5

like this..  every other.

once you become a true student of SV  you will move to 'Beer Coolers'  which mitigate some of these issues.

Bon Appetite 

#5 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

your system aside, based on it size and volume,

you might consider and aquarium pump :

http://www.amazon.co..._sl_q28x2n94f_b

less than 10 bucks is all you need   some flexible tubing and an 'aquarium stone'

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0050HJ7Q6

it bubble at the far end of your set up and moves the water around for even heating.

I use them.  but have not prgressed to the Anova  'yet"

#6 littledebbie

littledebbie
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone. I decided to toss that one out just in case $7 is not worth food poisoning. lol

#7 pbear

pbear
  • participating member
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

FWIW, I raised a similar concern a few days ago in the Anova thread.  JoNorvelleWalker posted that she has tested between clumped bags and found the water stays at the set temp.  Meanwhile, in another thread, KennethT reports that he tested temp below bags resting on the bottom of a water bath and again found no problem.  In other words, it seems we're making much ado about nothing.  Circulation and the naturally efficient heat transfer of water does the trick.  If you want to be absolutely certain, put a flat rack in the bottom of the bath and use a vertical rack or other procedure (e.g., the one gfweb suggests) to keep the bags separated and away from the sides.  I do this because I can, easily, but it isn't necessary and isn't standard practice in commercial kitchens.

• gfweb likes this

#8 KennethT

KennethT
  • participating member
  • 888 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:43 AM

At one point a few years ago, I tested my circulator's water circulating ability by putting a bunch of bags in the bath and then putting a few drops of food coloring in the corner (away from the bags). In a matter of seconds, there was food coloring everywhere - even between the bags that were pretty closely packed together. I did this in several trials and found the same results each time.
  • gfweb and rotuts like this

#9 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:16 AM

nice work  

what was your set up ?

PedroG did this a long time ago and had some Vids.

SVMagic I think it was.  the circular item w the large bubbler.

again, nice work

the Anova crowd might do this and cap that discussion.

#10 KennethT

KennethT
  • participating member
  • 888 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

My circulators are home made. I'm a manufacturer of non-food related products, and a few years ago, was entertaining the idea of making circulators for SV. So I made prototypes for testing and de-bugging. I don't want to get too much into the details, but our design is very different from the types currently on the market as the device does not go into the cooking chamber, which leaves more room for bags. With that being said, my circulation isn't as strong as some of the immersion circulators, which is why I felt it necessary to do circulation tests.

#11 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

My circulators are home made. I'm a manufacturer of non-food related products, and a few years ago, was entertaining the idea of making circulators for SV. So I made prototypes for testing and de-bugging. I don't want to get too much into the details, but our design is very different from the types currently on the market as the device does not go into the cooking chamber, which leaves more room for bags. With that being said, my circulation isn't as strong as some of the immersion circulators, which is why I felt it necessary to do circulation tests.

I think I have an idea the thinking behind your device. But I will not disclose the idea, since you want to have a marketing advantage.

It is a clever way to make SV appliance better. Clean, and less maintenance.  You should definitely market it.

dcarch

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist